Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 21-11-18, 10:34 AM
OC3D Crew

Myth or not ?

I was talking to one of my friends who has a AMD ryzen 7 2700x we were talking with temperatures and core speed , and he said that if I put an AiO water cooling solution on the processor I will see considerably increase clock speed over air cooling is this true because I do not know how precision boost 2 works

Old 21-11-18, 10:47 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey117 View Post
I was talking to one of my friends who has a AMD ryzen 7 2700x we were talking with temperatures and core speed , and he said that if I put an AiO water cooling solution on the processor I will see considerably increase clock speed over air cooling is this true because I do not know how precision boost 2 works
I call BS personally. That said it depends what kind of air cooler you are talking about.

Old 21-11-18, 11:01 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Precision Boost is designed to work that way, but the 2700X's stock cooler is good enough to get most of these boosts anyway, especially if you don't live in a hot country.
Old 21-11-18, 11:14 AM
Resident Newb

Quote:

When I got my 2700X I used the included RGB cooler to test, While it did it's job my all core clock would be around 3.80GHz-3.90GHz without me doing anything but would go down to 3.80GHz quite frequently.

I then attached my 360mm AIO and now my all core clock goes to around a pretty consistent 4-4.1GHz, Again that's with me doing absolutely nothing in the bios, It is not a massive performance increase but it is basically free performance due to the way AMD's XFR feature works.
- Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Edition - Corsair 680X Black -
Old 21-11-18, 11:18 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
When I got my 2700X I used the included RGB cooler to test, While it did it's job my all core clock would be around 3.80GHz-3.90GHz without me doing anything but would go down to 3.80GHz quite frequently.

I then attached my 360mm AIO and now my all core clock goes to around a pretty consistent 4-4.1GHz, Again that's with me doing absolutely nothing in the bios, It is not a massive performance increase but it is basically free performance due to the way AMD's XFR feature works.
It would easily do that on a £25 cooler was more the point I was making

Old 21-11-18, 11:21 AM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
It would easily do that on a £25 cooler was more the point I was making

Yeah a £25 cooler would struggle to keep it cool and it would downclock fairly frequently, Anything north of £60 should be a minimum for a high end CPU IMO, If not an AIO then something beefy from BeQuiet or Noctua preferably.

The Wraith Prism when in stock costs around £25, It will do in a pinch but to get the best performance out of the 2700X you need decent cooling, BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4, Noctua NH-D15 etc...
Old 21-11-18, 11:25 AM
OC3D Elite

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cryor...hs-008-cy.html

I don't believe you, dude. There are plenty of coolers at or around £25 that could easily cool that CPU at 4.2ghz.

Large expensive coolers are wasted on Ryzen, really, and we all know it. I'm not digging at you for having that 360 (because I would too) but at the same time you can't take a pop at the other audience.

This would manage it too

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/be-qu...hs-010-bq.html

And so on.

Old 21-11-18, 11:37 AM
Resident Newb

Quote:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cryor...hs-008-cy.html

I don't believe you, dude. There are plenty of coolers at or around £25 that could easily cool that CPU at 4.2ghz.

Large expensive coolers are wasted on Ryzen, really, and we all know it. I'm not digging at you for having that 360 (because I would too) but at the same time you can't take a pop at the other audience.

This would manage it too

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/be-qu...hs-010-bq.html

And so on.

If you are fine with high temps then yeah sure, Not that it will really harm anything but to get the most out of the chip you do need a good cooling setup and while the 2 x you listed are decen't, I would definitely not use them to do overclocking.

Now if you turn off XFR then that's a whole other story as then literally any will do the job just fine.

From Toms review in which he used an H110i GT 280MM AIO.

Old 21-11-18, 11:42 AM
OC3D Elite

That is the stock cooler dude at 78c, not a "£25 cooler".

As I said you run a 360 for vanity, and I totally dig that, but the facts are the facts.

78c isn't even warm. Delidded modern Intels are in the 90s, and people are saying it's perfectly normal.

Old 21-11-18, 12:02 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
That is the stock cooler dude at 78c, not a "£25 cooler".

As I said you run a 360 for vanity, and I totally dig that, but the facts are the facts.

78c isn't even warm. Delidded modern Intels are in the 90s, and people are saying it's perfectly normal.

No I don't run a 360 for vanity, I run a 360 so I can have all the fans running at 600RPM and temps still be relatively decent while remaining whisper quiet, Something I couldn't really do with a 240.

With XFR if the temps start going up the clocks start coming down and I've found XFR to be much better for adaptive voltage instead of running a solid overclock with voltage always stuck at 1.3/4v.