Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 17-03-18, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Should I Buy A New Motherboard

Hello,

Late 2016 i bought a EVGA X99 Classified but i didn't get around to using it until last year and i have been having some issues with this motherboard where about 90% of the time on a cold boot it will not boot into windows 10 and if it does it's very slow at booting where it can tale about 30-45 seconds, In the last couple of months the debug LED is screwing up so say if the temp is in the 30's the 3 doesn't display correctly.

It does not matter how a install windows it's no different with the boot up i even done changes in the BIOS but nothing works so have i got a sub par motherboard.

I'm completely unsure what to do here, i understand X99 is dead socket now.

My only worry is i'm using a CaseLabs SM8 case and if i got another motherboard it would be an ATX and i hope it doesn't make my OCD crazy.

Thanks

Old 17-03-18, 11:27 AM
OC3D Crew

EVGA has really good customer service.

Have you tried contacting them to see what they suggest?
Enthoo Elite | i9-7900X | Rampage VI Extreme | Dominator Platinum 32GB | RTX 2080 FE | 960 Pro 512GB, 840 Evo 250GB x 2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2 | PG279Q, MX27AQ | Custom Watercooling Loop + Aquaero 6 XT

Old 18-03-18, 09:56 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Evga customer service is great but they can only do so much with crappy boards. I own a z170 stinger.
Old 18-03-18, 11:06 AM
OC3D Elite

The only EVGA board I ever loved was the 680i. And I only loved it because you could separate the CPU bus from the memory bus when overclocking. It was the only board I had that allowed stupendous overclocks on a Core 2 without having 1066 ram. Which was a big deal, because 1066 ram was usually 2-3x the cost of 666 or 800.

I don't remember the 790i I had that much, but I do remember getting an E2400 to 3.5ghz and being very impressed. However, by that stage it was nearly three years old and had the latest bios on.

I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with EVGA boards, but it's almost like EVGA wish it was still the days where overclocking was tricky and difficult. They need to embrace the easy methods we have these days really.

Old 18-03-18, 11:37 AM
OC3D Elite

I have an Asrock X99x Fatality killer 3.1 up for sale on ebay ATM, so might be worth looking at before it goes as I've had one offer that I just knocked back.
NZXT Phantom 630 White=AMD Ryzen 1700X=MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon WiFi=Intel Optane SSD 9 480GB PCIE=32gig 3200Mhz GSkill Flare X= MSI GTX1080 Seahawk X=NZXT Kraken X62=MSI Optix MPG341CQR=MSI GK80 Vigor=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Cougar 700M=EVGA Supernova 850 G2=White Sennheiser Game One=NZXT Hue+ with Aer RGB fans and RBG strip=Pioneer BDR-209D=Windows 10 Pro=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS=Corsair MM800 RGB CE
Old 18-03-18, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trawetSluaP View Post
EVGA has really good customer service.

Have you tried contacting them to see what they suggest?
I was going to RMA the motherboard but i thought with the problems being minor i thought i could live with it but the slow boot up is really annoying AF, It should take that long to boot even with Windows 10.

The only problem that i have if i RMA the motherboard then i don't have a second motherboard to fall back on while this one is gone so that's why i was looking to get another motherboard and keep the EVGA as a back up.

As of now i agree with people with the EVGA BIOS it's completely awful it's not as simple as ASUS and even ASRock, But it seems to me with all EVGA motherboards they aren't for the general public there more for overclockers and no one else. The BIOS design is like from 2008, They just haven't moved with the times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalabur50 View Post
I have an Asrock X99x Fatality killer 3.1 up for sale on ebay ATM, so might be worth looking at before it goes as I've had one offer that I just knocked back.
Thanks for the offer but i will have to pass cause not trying to be rude but i'm just kinda over the Red?Black colour scheme and also the whole "Gaming" branding.

All i want is just a decent motherboard that's not over the top in design, I was looking at Newegg and they have some decent motherboards on sale atm,
Old 18-03-18, 12:14 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
I was going to RMA the motherboard but i thought with the problems being minor i thought i could live with it but the slow boot up is really annoying AF, It should take that long to boot even with Windows 10.

The only problem that i have if i RMA the motherboard then i don't have a second motherboard to fall back on while this one is gone so that's why i was looking to get another motherboard and keep the EVGA as a back up.

As of now i agree with people with the EVGA BIOS it's completely awful it's not as simple as ASUS and even ASRock, But it seems to me with all EVGA motherboards they aren't for the general public there more for overclockers and no one else. The BIOS design is like from 2008, They just haven't moved with the times.
If you have the money they'll do an advanced RMA where they charge you for the replacement and send it out first, then when they get your old board back you'll be refunded.

Not sure it'll help but I've done it a couple of times for older GPUs.
Enthoo Elite | i9-7900X | Rampage VI Extreme | Dominator Platinum 32GB | RTX 2080 FE | 960 Pro 512GB, 840 Evo 250GB x 2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2 | PG279Q, MX27AQ | Custom Watercooling Loop + Aquaero 6 XT

Old 18-03-18, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trawetSluaP View Post
If you have the money they'll do an advanced RMA where they charge you for the replacement and send it out first, then when they get your old board back you'll be refunded.

Not sure it'll help but I've done it a couple of times for older GPUs.
I would have find out about that but knowing my luck they wouldn't allow that cause they may say since your in Australia that doesn't apply to you.
Old 18-03-18, 04:31 PM
OC3D Elite

I only ever use Asus Rampage Extreme boards as they are

Very reliable and can take a lot of heavy use.

Have just about every function and feature you can imagine.

Very good bios updates and support.

The downside is they are a bit overkill for just normal gaming/use.

GTX 960 owner and proud of it.
Old 19-03-18, 06:45 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
Thanks for the offer but i will have to pass cause not trying to be rude but i'm just kinda over the Red?Black colour scheme and also the whole "Gaming" branding.

All i want is just a decent motherboard that's not over the top in design, I was looking at Newegg and they have some decent motherboards on sale atm,
All good just thought I'd mention it just in case
NZXT Phantom 630 White=AMD Ryzen 1700X=MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon WiFi=Intel Optane SSD 9 480GB PCIE=32gig 3200Mhz GSkill Flare X= MSI GTX1080 Seahawk X=NZXT Kraken X62=MSI Optix MPG341CQR=MSI GK80 Vigor=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Cougar 700M=EVGA Supernova 850 G2=White Sennheiser Game One=NZXT Hue+ with Aer RGB fans and RBG strip=Pioneer BDR-209D=Windows 10 Pro=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS=Corsair MM800 RGB CE

Tags
asrock, asus, msi