Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Software Section

Old 11-04-17, 10:33 PM
OC3D Elite

Big FU from Microsoft

Just a heads up after the creators update. If you have limited telemetry, Microsoft will not let you send feedback.

Old 12-04-17, 04:31 PM
The Webmaster

seems legit, if you don't want them to have you data, then you don't want them to have any of your data including your feedback... right?
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 12-04-17, 04:40 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
seems legit, if you don't want them to have you data, then you don't want them to have any of your data including your feedback... right?
Well if you'd ask me, "feedback" can be a number of things really.
Do they want to collect feedback regarding how I use their software, how I find their software or how it runs on my particular system?. For example.
Old 12-04-17, 04:50 PM

They need telemetry with feedback, especially if it's relating to bugs/crashes.
Old 12-04-17, 06:29 PM
AMD Enthusiast

They need it because otherwise it's like basically telling them this OS sucks fix it. Then they ask for your logs so they can see what is wrong, but you tell them no.... So how could they fix it if you aren't telling them specifically what is wrong

It's the same with anything. You want to report a bad driver to AMD or Nvidia, well you send them logs too. You go to a game Dev for support because the game isn't working, you send your DX logs. Really it's being done by everything. Not a big deal.
Old 12-04-17, 06:39 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
They need it because otherwise it's like basically telling them this OS sucks fix it. Then they ask for your logs so they can see what is wrong, but you tell them no.... So how could they fix it if you aren't telling them specifically what is wrong

It's the same with anything. You want to report a bad driver to AMD or Nvidia, well you send them logs too. You go to a game Dev for support because the game isn't working, you send your DX logs. Really it's being done by everything. Not a big deal.
I understand what you mean here, I really do. But what I personally think that people might get hung up on, is that some may take a little more information than they actually need. Ie, not just logs for a specific issue, but other things that aren't related to that.
Old 12-04-17, 06:45 PM
OC3D Elite

The problem is MS will use tactics like that to grab a LOT more data from you that you might not want sent to them. If they actually weren't data mining for profit, they'd easily separate the "crash" logs from all the other crap they collect. But they won't, because they know there's big money in selling your data, whether you want it sold or not.

Old 12-04-17, 06:50 PM
Classy-Fried-Chicken

I think you got it wrong. By telemetry MS means the logs of the OS and the system apps.
What microsoft will sell is your advertisement ID. You can turn that off and you'll be perfectly able to send feedback

--------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Theory is when you have the "know how" but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and no one knows why
Old 12-04-17, 06:54 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelosouvlakia View Post
I think you got it wrong. By telemetry MS means the logs of the OS and the system apps.
What microsoft will sell is your advertisement ID. You can turn that off and you'll be perfectly able to send feedback
Maybe, but I don't think MS has made it easy to separate the data you're sending them. I could be way wrong though.

Old 12-04-17, 06:58 PM
Classy-Fried-Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
Maybe, but I don't think MS has made it easy to separate the data you're sending them. I could be way wrong though.

I think that MS made sure that they won't get sued in the EU because EU laws/regulations on privacy are quite strict and they would go under investigation and would most probably get fined a couple of bilions

--------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Theory is when you have the "know how" but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and no one knows why