Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Customer Care Forums > Asus UK Customer Care Forums

Old 28-09-16, 04:28 PM

New Motherboard raid ?

Hi i am upgrading from a ASUS Maximum VI Gene to a MAXIMUS VIII RANGER.
I got a raid on my old board made the raid in the Bios UEFI. anyone got a thoght if i could bring it over to the new board ? it whould be a serius time saver.

btw its a Intel Raid 0 with two 1TB HDD,s

Thanks for any response in advance

Pjho

Old 28-09-16, 04:33 PM
OC3D Elite

I had 2 WD 3TB Red drives in Raid 0 on my Z97 board, when I switched to a X99 board the Raid array was still there once Raid was set in the bios and then when I switched to a Z107 board it was still there once Raid was set in the bios.

They were all MSI boards so I would suspect and hope that, that would be the same case going from Asus to Asus but just be prepared to loose the array and data if you don't back it up first.
Old 28-09-16, 04:42 PM

Thanks man i thought so, got only large games and the games i dont play that often their nothing biggy,
Old 28-09-16, 04:53 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjho View Post
Hi i am upgrading from a ASUS Maximum VI Gene to a MAXIMUS VIII RANGER.
I got a raid on my old board made the raid in the Bios UEFI. anyone got a thoght if i could bring it over to the new board ? it whould be a serius time saver.

btw its a Intel Raid 0 with two 1TB HDD,s

Thanks for any response in advance

Pjho
Moving a RAID to a new motherboard doesn't work sadly, setting up the array on the new board will wipe both drives.
Old 29-09-16, 07:20 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
Moving a RAID to a new motherboard doesn't work sadly, setting up the array on the new board will wipe both drives.
Between brands probably not but same brand, same CPU manufacturer from my experience it does.

As I said in my previous post I switched from a MSI Z97 Gaming 5, to a MSI X99 Gaming 7 and when I set the bios to Raid and booted in to windows the raid drive was there with all data.

When I had to switch to Z107 because of a faulty 6850K and board I set, the MSI Gaming M7 board to Raid and installed windows then connected my drives and in windows the Raid drive showed up with all the data.

All I did was change the Sata option from AHCI to Raid and then installed windows, then once windows was installed I connected the raid drives up and the raid array showed straight away in the bios and in windows, no need to configure it etc as if it was a new array.

Personally I believe that switching from Intel to AMD would cause the array to no longer be viable, same with switching between say Asus and MSI etc.

Tags
asus, hdd, motherboard, raid