Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #51  
Old 30-09-16, 01:33 PM
SuB's Avatar
SuB SuB is offline
The Webmaster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Taking a break
Posts: 8,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Sorry
why you gots ta be sh!tposting bro?

__________________
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 30-09-16, 05:09 PM
Jbo1234's Avatar
Jbo1234 Jbo1234 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
Not really, it's a good interesting read. Just because you disagree doesn't make it click bait.

Speaking of, here's part 4

Oh and part 5 came out today as well

Sorry but you can't call a 5 part article that long and detailed 'click bait' that's just ignorant
Not really
Thing is, there is nothing surprising here or, more importantly, out of the ordinary. What would have been shocking is if everything went perfectly well!
Also where was the 5 part article about NMS - the game that was a scam? I suspect they are just getting hits due to peoples concern after NMS. But 5 parts? It's very excessive to basically say "Gaming vet sets out to make most ambitious crowd funded game, hits generic business roadblocks, gets an online stalker, and some folks throw mountains of money at him".
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 30-09-16, 06:52 PM
SuB's Avatar
SuB SuB is offline
The Webmaster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Taking a break
Posts: 8,717
Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression and Acceptance.

^^-- You are here
__________________
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 30-09-16, 07:04 PM
mazty mazty is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression and Acceptance.

^^-- You are here
Nah, everyone I've spoken to about this with industry experience in IT, from devs to other project managers, all agree that the articles are pretty hollow when you actually consider what is "normal" for something of this scope and ambition.

There have been super backers for practically most Kickstarter campaigns that offer such a tier. I've seen people throw $5k for what was a CD project which required only $30 for the actual CD.

And as for Derek Smart. The guy clearly has a psychological issue as he tweets about SC every day. And he's been doing that for well over a year. That's not normal...
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 30-09-16, 11:47 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: With the Asguardians of the Galaxy
Posts: 16,288
Well good thing none of there opinions matter on it. They don't work there and have no knowledge of what's going on. The only things we can take from anything, is that they constantly make delays, never deliver anything on time, adding more and more promised content when they are already extremely behind, have huge amounts of funding which is constantly rising, and using an engine that is not suited for this project. These are facts. That's all we can take from it. there's no debating this. All of these facts don't mean they are not a great company or making a terrible game. It just simply means it's heavily disorganized and has no clear consistent guidance on there project timeline. As a result, consumers are getting fed up with it. They can turn this around, but it's going to take some strong leadership from the top with good project managers guiding them onto the right path to makeup for lost time.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 01-10-16, 09:02 AM
mazty mazty is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Well good thing none of there opinions matter on it. They don't work there and have no knowledge of what's going on. The only things we can take from anything, is that they constantly make delays, never deliver anything on time, adding more and more promised content when they are already extremely behind, have huge amounts of funding which is constantly rising, and using an engine that is not suited for this project. These are facts. That's all we can take from it. there's no debating this. All of these facts don't mean they are not a great company or making a terrible game. It just simply means it's heavily disorganized and has no clear consistent guidance on there project timeline. As a result, consumers are getting fed up with it. They can turn this around, but it's going to take some strong leadership from the top with good project managers guiding them onto the right path to makeup for lost time.
....And anyone who has worked on similar projects will tell you that a lot of that e.g. slipping deadlines/delays and scope creep is entirely normal, therefore it's ridiculous for the customer to become "fed up" with it.

Due to a lot of people having a complete lack of experience with such things, they try to either vilainaise or to a lesser extent fain worry at the progress CIG are making, which just isn't a fair conclusion. I think however SC has the advantage that it's audience tends to be older and more mature from what I can gather looking at the various SC forums and aren't worried about the progress, something which tends to be the reaction from either the younger backers, or people not actually invested in the game.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 01-10-16, 09:25 AM
SuB's Avatar
SuB SuB is offline
The Webmaster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Taking a break
Posts: 8,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazty View Post
....And anyone who has worked on similar projects will tell you that a lot of that e.g. slipping deadlines/delays and scope creep is entirely normal, therefore it's ridiculous for the customer to become "fed up" with it.

Due to a lot of people having a complete lack of experience with such things, they try to either vilainaise or to a lesser extent fain worry at the progress CIG are making, which just isn't a fair conclusion. I think however SC has the advantage that it's audience tends to be older and more mature from what I can gather looking at the various SC forums and aren't worried about the progress, something which tends to be the reaction from either the younger backers, or people not actually invested in the game.
Just out of curiosity, what have you 'project managed' before?
__________________
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 01-10-16, 12:19 PM
mazty mazty is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
Just out of curiosity, what have you 'project managed' before?
A range of IT projects which covers web apps, web services, and programmes for customers ranging from small businesses to very, very large ones, and on top of that am a qualified Agile PM so know what the theory is, yet what the reality tends to actually be
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 01-10-16, 02:17 PM
SuB's Avatar
SuB SuB is offline
The Webmaster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Taking a break
Posts: 8,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazty View Post
A range of IT projects which covers web apps, web services, and programmes for customers ranging from small businesses to very, very large ones, and on top of that am a qualified Agile PM so know what the theory is, yet what the reality tends to actually be
So nothing in the games industry per-se?
__________________
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 01-10-16, 02:26 PM
mazty mazty is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
So nothing in the games industry per-se?
No, but there is literally no good reason why project management practices, which are very specifically designed to be transferable across industries, aren't applicable to the games industry. In fact it's my personal belief that a lot of games are very poor quality nowadays because the developers (as in the company) are stuck in the dark ages when it comes to both project management and modern IT practices.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 07:55 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.