Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 09-05-16, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Hi guys,

So here is the effect after about 24 hours once fully dried!

I gotta say I wasn't expecting this but it's the perfect effect I wanted for this build

It seems like applying in a straight even motion looks a bit better than the random pattern I did in the corner of the panel. Also the oxidising patina by itself didn't do much to the poweder-coating. I wonder how it would affect bare metal

Anyways, here are the result. Next up will be applying it to the case!

Thanks for checking it out!

Cheers,

Alex

Old 09-05-16, 10:37 AM
too many shrooms

this is epic so far, consider me subbed
Old 10-05-16, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp View Post
this is epic so far, consider me subbed
Thanks a lot
Old 12-05-16, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Okay, here we go

Rust application applied to first parts of the case! I firstly scuffed everything with red scotch brite from MNPCTECH and on all plastic parts a clear plastic primer was applied.

I applied a much thicker coat than before and even let it run in some parts to get a better effect

Thanks for checking it out, stay tuned for the results

Cheers,

Alex
Old 14-05-16, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Hi guys,

Here are the results! Overall really happy with the way it's turning out.

I added some more patches of the rust paint in some areas I felt it didn't cover the panels too well.

Here I started to add more rust paint.

Let me know what you guys think of the results.

Thanks for checking it out!

Cheers,

Alex
Old 14-05-16, 04:53 PM
OC3D Elite

Does that stuff have a solid surface or is it loose rust? I can imagine if it's loose rust it would be really messy to handle and risky if some strays onto any components.

Looks awesome though I'm a huge dead space fan so looking forward to seeing it come together
BeQuiet Darkbase Pro 900 | i7-7700K OC @ 5.10GHz | Custom water loop | ASUS MAximus Hero IX Z270 | Aurous Xtreme GTX 1080TI @ 2120mhz 12000mhz | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200MHz CL15 | 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, 250GB Samsung EVO 850 | Corsair HX750I PSU | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Old 15-05-16, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverebo View Post
Does that stuff have a solid surface or is it loose rust? I can imagine if it's loose rust it would be really messy to handle and risky if some strays onto any components.

Looks awesome though I'm a huge dead space fan so looking forward to seeing it come together
Cheers mate

The rust is just like paint but a 'rust paint'. It's not loose or anything. It does however leave a rusty mark on your finger when you touch it as any rusted object would do. In the end I will clear coat it so should be all good
Old 18-05-16, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Hi guys,

Before I do any more rusting effects on the rest of the case I needed to do some pass-through holes for fittings as well as add some acrylic cover panels.

What I'm doing with the pass-through fittings going over the top of the case is trying to mimic the back of the Dead Space character with the tube and making this part of the loop.

I'm also tapping some holes on the back panel as this will mimic one of the arms of the character. You can see what I mean from the banner image.

Just to screw down acrylic panels that I will add.

I've also added some effect to the acrylic panels just with the Dremel disk

I'll be rusting everything now.

Stay tuned for more!

Cheers,

Alex
Old 19-05-16, 08:45 AM
The Webmaster

Wow, that rusting is mental. Looks really cool, but totally alien to me lol. As for sealing it in, an old trick I would use when painting stuff that can be 'flaky' (read:weathering) is to clear coat with gloss to really seal it in properly and get a good couple of coats of that, then spray on a matt layer to bring it back to the original non-shiny finish. I always found that the best way to seal in the effect and not ruin it by making it shiny
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 22-05-16, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
Wow, that rusting is mental. Looks really cool, but totally alien to me lol. As for sealing it in, an old trick I would use when painting stuff that can be 'flaky' (read:weathering) is to clear coat with gloss to really seal it in properly and get a good couple of coats of that, then spray on a matt layer to bring it back to the original non-shiny finish. I always found that the best way to seal in the effect and not ruin it by making it shiny
Thanks a lot! That's a good idea, I'll see how I go. I purchased a lot of matte/satin clear coat and will try that on some parts first to see how it goes

Tags
asus, case mod, cooler master, modding, watercooling