Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Customer Care Forums > MSI UK Forum

Old 07-09-14, 07:23 PM

ovrclocking Pentium K Anniversary G3258

hi ive heard that you can overclock an Intel Pentium K G3258 on a H81M-P33 motherboard is this true and if so how i always thought that you could not overclock on these boards any help would be most appreciated many thanks in advance

Old 07-09-14, 07:30 PM
Suspended By Request of Police

few months ago new Microcodes have been released for the H81 B85 Q85 chipsets that allow overclocking on these chipsets. Overclocking on h81 motherboard is not going to be as good as on z97/z87 motherboard due to many factors including cheaper chipset and cheaper VRM design. You should be able to get 4.5ghz
Old 07-09-14, 07:41 PM
Bettyswollocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboOC View Post
few months ago new Microcodes have been released for the H81 B85 Q85 chipsets that allow overclocking on these chipsets. Overclocking on h81 motherboard is not going to be as good as on z97/z87 motherboard due to many factors including cheaper chipset and cheaper VRM design. You should be able to get 4.5ghz
Or 4.6Ghz I'm aiming for 4.8Ghz I would add though, if your going to OC this chip get a board that has native OC features.
Old 07-09-14, 07:57 PM

thanks guys i already have this board and was just going to get the processor as i cant afford both that and a better board and then ive also got an Asus R7 250 1GB GDDR5 VGA DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card and Corsair 4GB (2X2G DDR3 1600Mhz VENGEANCE "BLUE" Memory Kit C9 1.5V and i was thinking that would be ok
Old 08-09-14, 02:51 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via MSN to MSIRawZ Send a message via Skype™ to MSIRawZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by crap-at-games View Post
hi ive heard that you can overclock an Intel Pentium K G3258 on a H81M-P33 motherboard is this true and if so how i always thought that you could not overclock on these boards any help would be most appreciated many thanks in advance
Officially.. no, we don't support overclocking on any other S1150 chipset other than Z97/Z87.

Unofficially... This is another matter..

Which version of the H81M-P33 do you have - V1 or V2?

If V1, this Beta BIOS will allow you to Overclock the Pentium K - https://www.dropbox.com/s/yj8khfb868...17IMS.RAR?dl=0

I've not tested it with i5 or i7 as yet.

However, please be careful. H81/B85/H97 was never designed for overclocking so don't go mad. I've not seen reports of failure but please overclock responsibility...

Old 08-09-14, 05:48 PM

hi thanks for the reply and this may seem a dumb question but whats the difference between v1 and v2 ive studied the board and theres no marks on it to say which version it is

Edit just found the difference online v2 has a bright pink bit on one of the ports and v1 does not thanks again ive got v1 if that is right lol
Old 08-09-14, 07:33 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via MSN to MSIRawZ Send a message via Skype™ to MSIRawZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by crap-at-games View Post
hi thanks for the reply and this may seem a dumb question but whats the difference between v1 and v2 ive studied the board and theres no marks on it to say which version it is

Edit just found the difference online v2 has a bright pink bit on one of the ports and v1 does not thanks again ive got v1 if that is right lol
Give it a go and let me know how you get on.