Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Graphics - Other

Old 28-08-14, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzthrun View Post
Oh, then framerate drop I experienced when running physX on i7-3930k & v5900 build was due to the 3930.
- I suppose there are many other factors.- Mobo is Rampage IV Extreme

Old 28-08-14, 04:58 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Oh, then framerate drop I experienced when running physX on i7-3930k & v5900 build was due to the 3930.

I'd be very curious to know what game engined utilize the built in cpu graphics core over gpu. Actually - this a subject I am very interested in. I've used PVRC and ETC1 texture encoding to bypass decompression on mobile CPU's and go straight to the GPU, but that is the extent of my experience.

All my scripting is still executed on the CPU (I'm correct in saying that utilizing OpenGL would put those logic threads onto the GPU?). I'm not writing my own engine anytime soon, but drool over Unreal, Crysis and Unity daily.
Quote:
- I suppose there are many other factors.- Mobo is Rampage IV Extreme
Mobo has nothing to do with framerate. PhysX when not being run on an Nvidia GPU is being run by the CPU(and not the iGPU either). Reason why you get big losses in framrate is because CPUs processing phyiscs is extremely heavy and benefit from parallel processing provided by the GPU which is why you get less framerate penalties. Its worth getting the Pro cards since you are only using 3d programs and the reliabilty is important to you.
Old 29-08-14, 12:06 AM

Hey NBD, Thanks again. yea - it does seem like pro cards are the way to go. I will have to see what AMD has on the market these days. Other than the CUDA language mentioned earlier, I can't see any reason to go NVidia for pro cards in the market segment I'm in ($500 - $1000 +/- for gc). Thanks for all the advice. Feel like my the research that lead me to v5900 wasn't misplaced. Learned quite a bit too My speculation about the motherboard impacting frame-rate was if a time differential between cpu output and gpu acceptance was caused by the mobo. (basically a bottleneck btw the two) - which amounts to just mindless speculation on my part. My take away on lags with physX - is that the framerate drop is caused by the gpu waiting around the for the cpu to provide the adjusted viewport/render data/etc... am i correct in phrasing it this way ? I should have assumed phsyX was on the cpu - it is advanced physics calculations after all. I wonder if is being used at all in non-gaming relating contexts - there are probably many open source physics engines which are preferred for such applications.

---------------

barnsley - thank you too
Old 29-08-14, 10:16 AM
OC3D Elite

Please use the button rather than posting twice in a row, thank you

I've merged your posts now -shuffles out-

"If a bear looks good in the woods when nobody is there, is he still a cool ass motherf***ing bear?" - JR23
Old 29-08-14, 04:25 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Hey NBD, Thanks again. yea - it does seem like pro cards are the way to go. I will have to see what AMD has on the market these days. Other than the CUDA language mentioned earlier, I can't see any reason to go NVidia for pro cards in the market segment I'm in ($500 - $1000 +/- for gc). Thanks for all the advice. Feel like my the research that lead me to v5900 wasn't misplaced. Learned quite a bit too My speculation about the motherboard impacting frame-rate was if a time differential between cpu output and gpu acceptance was caused by the mobo. (basically a bottleneck btw the two) - which amounts to just mindless speculation on my part. My take away on lags with physX - is that the framerate drop is caused by the gpu waiting around the for the cpu to provide the adjusted viewport/render data/etc... am i correct in phrasing it this way ? I should have assumed phsyX was on the cpu - it is advanced physics calculations after all. I wonder if is being used at all in non-gaming relating contexts - there are probably many open source physics engines which are preferred for such applications.

---------------

barnsley - thank you too
There is no bottleneck. There is latency between the two but its not even worth mentioning as it is so little. No its simply the GPU processing Phyiscs which lowers your framrate as its another thing it has to do on top of everything else/ Your overthinking everything here.

Only thing i could find was a firepro v7900 for $679. Its much more capable than your current v5900 and has the same specs as a 7870/270x. Anything above was in the thousands.
Old 30-08-14, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Only thing i could find was a firepro v7900 for $679. Its much more capable than your current v5900 and has the same specs as a 7870/270x. Anything above was in the thousands.
- yes that's also my conclusion also.

The v7900 is over 3x more expensive than comparable cards you mention. I guess that's how much more consistency and peace-of-mind costs.

Feronix - got it
Old 30-08-14, 04:56 PM
AMD Enthusiast

They tend to make less so the price goes up and big companies that order a lot of these get big discounts so its usually not a problem, its just more for the smaller companies.
Old 30-08-14, 07:16 PM

The small batch thing is interesting. But if there were more game developers then game players....
So another factor in the price of pro-cards is that a small business or consumer is buying a industry centered product at retail prices - whereas a large portion of sales are brokered. Given the prices of NVidia, i wonder if they even care about the market segment I'm in.

This makes me think that the "Enhanced for NVidia" or "Power by AMD" or whatever it says when many video games load, is actually part of marketing deal related to the bulk buys.
Old 30-08-14, 07:22 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Not really. More of a who pays the dev more to use their tech.
Old 30-08-14, 07:45 PM

well darn.

Tags
gaming, graphics, hardware, pro, purchase