Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 06-06-14, 11:30 PM
News Guru

Devils Canyon at 4.5GHz on passive cooling, how far can DC go?

In recent years Intel seems to be focusing more and more on lower power consumption rather than maximum performance, which in truth is the right move for them. With the march of ARM based solutions into the low end market and AMD having lost grasp on any of the high end CPU market why should Intel bother to make any major advancement?

Now with Intel's Z97 chipset hitting the store shelves, and Devils Canyon only being a minor refresh, is there any reason to upgrade? Well if overclocking is your thing Devils Canyon may well be you next dream CPU if Intels Computex results are anything to go by.

While intel were trying to show off the potential of low powered systems, I noted that their low powered Devils Canyon based system was running on surprisingly high clocks for a system with only passive cooling.

The above system is running at 4.5GHz with passive cooling solution. While intel did note that the system required a little time to cool down between benchmarking runs, a 4.5GHz passively cooled i7 is still impressive, especially at the voltages Intel were using.

With other reports from Computex finding overclocks of up to 5.5GHz on air, an even as high as 6.4 on LN2. While these are far below overclocking world records, this can confirm the good overclocking potential of the chips.

So Devils Canyon may be an interesting CPU after all, even if it isn't a Intel Tick or Tock release. It will also be interesting to see how the other Devils Canyon CPUs perform, especially the Pentium G3258 for budget overclockers.

I for one cannot wait to see reviews on these chips, being a fan of overclocking and otherwise tinkering my system I personally hope that Devils Canyon will be the return to the Golden age of Overclocking.

I guess we will see when OC3D eventually gets a sample for review.

As always please post your thoughts below and thanks for reading.

Source - sweclockers

Old 07-06-14, 01:40 AM
Resident Newb

DigitalStorm reports differently, Not worth swapping out from a nicely clocked 4770K at all.
- Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Edition - Corsair 680X Black -
Old 07-06-14, 10:23 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
DigitalStorm reports differently, Not worth swapping out from a nicely clocked 4770K at all.
Indeed, if you have a golden haswell there is no need to change for a while. Similar to golden chips form Sandy and Ivy bridge. There has never been a point in upgrading every generation with Intel

DC will be the choice for those building new rigs, not those currently on haswell. There are simply no gains to be made other than temps. As i said this isn't a tick or tock release, so no improved IPC, just thermals (and hopefully higher average overclocks).

It remains to be seen if the silicon lottery favors the Devil, hopefully it does but it may just be the same old haswell.

All reviews out now have had rather meh overclockers , but all report a good improvement in temps. This temp improvement may make Water Cooling DC worthwhile as well as allow some higher voltages to be used for longer.

I kinda now miss my 1090T, it had so many things to mess with while overclocking; Multi, mem bus, Northbridge, Hypertransport. Intel is much simpler, but I miss my 1090T's complexity
Old 07-06-14, 11:10 AM
born in a.....

Its probably a cherry picked sample.
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904| 970 EVO 500GB m.2|512GB evo 840| Crucial MX 500 500GB|ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG
Old 07-06-14, 01:10 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
Its probably a cherry picked sample.
1.34v seems a bit high and not really cherry picked imo
Old 07-06-14, 01:21 PM
OC3D Elite

1.34v sounds like SB voltages, the average voltage for 4.5ghz on a 2500k and 2600k is around 1.34v. Sounds high for Haswell though, which is what the DC chips are.
NZXT Switch 810 - Ryzeny 3600 - Gigabyte X570 Gaming - 32GB Corsair Platinum SE - MSI Gaming 1070 - Crucial MX100 256GB SSD - Crucial MX500 500GB SSD - Samsung F3 1TB HDD - Corsair H100 - Corsair RM1000i SE - Asus VE247H

PC Audio: Asus Xonar STX - Sennheiser HD650.
Portable Audio: FiiO X3II - Audiofly AF140 - Etymotic ER4s - Fidue A83.
Old 07-06-14, 04:21 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru View Post
1.34v seems a bit high and not really cherry picked imo
Yeah, 1.34v is rather high. I wouldn't think that it is a cherry picked sample, but perhaps Intel purposefully use high volts to reduce the chance of a BSOD in their demonstration.

Most Haswell CPUs can do 4.5GHz on around 1.25v on average, with golden samples being able to do 4.8GHz at those same volts.

If Devils Canyon can't get higher clocks at similar volts on average, at least it can be more comfortably put under higher voltages if you have good cooling.
Old 07-06-14, 04:32 PM
OC3D Elite

by "passive" they mean engineering a case that will act as the heat sink.
Old 07-06-14, 04:43 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorticalbox View Post
by "passive" they mean engineering a case that will act as the heat sink.
Yes exactly that, I imagine heatpipes will conduct heat to the walls of the case, which will then lose heat to the outside of the case via convection.

It is quite amazing that a OC'ed Haswell PC at 1.34v can be cooled by such a small case with no fans.
Old 07-06-14, 05:01 PM
Resident Newb

I'm waiting on Z107 Anyway, Started saving about 2 months ago so when the Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 5770/5790K and some nice memory hits they will be mine on release day next year
- Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Edition - Corsair 680X Black -