Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Graphics Cards

Old 08-06-13, 04:33 PM

Send a message via MSN to oO_KoPiTe_Oo
People say VRAM doesn't matter?

But i'm thinking about gta 5. I love to mess around with my gta 4 installing new models and what not... http://www.gta4-mods.com/

After you've installed so many things your games starts to crash after a while because it's loading up to many things.
In this situation more vram's a good thing rite? because that's basically my decision on whether to go with Nvidia or AMD beause the mid range AMD cards seem to offer a 3gb vram option.

Old 08-06-13, 04:35 PM
OC3D Elite

blame the sloppy port of GTA IV.
Old 08-06-13, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepas View Post
blame the sloppy port of GTA IV.
queue the smart ass qoutes.
Old 08-06-13, 04:41 PM
OC3D Elite

This is true to some extend. 'VRAM doesn't matter' is usually said to people that buy a pre-build PC depending on how much RAM the GPU has (because 'a GPU with more RAM is always faster, right?).

For an open-world game with lots of mods, yeah you're probably better off with a bit more VRAM. Nvidia also have 4GB versions of most their higher end cards though, if that's what you prefer. AMD is definitely cheaper.

"If a bear looks good in the woods when nobody is there, is he still a cool ass motherf***ing bear?" - JR23
Old 08-06-13, 04:47 PM
OC3D Crew

Lots of mods will always cause crashes and problems if not loaded correctly. I was running 80+ mods on skyrim which completely changed the game. I was having some minor fps drops and I did get a crash to desktop from the start screen when I installed a lighting mod. I moved it up the load order and hey presto it works fine. That imo is not a vram issue.

Too little vram from my experience causes lower fps and massive fps drops. When I was playing skyrim my vram would max out in some areas and the fps would tank. The game wouldn't crash. The fps would drop from something like 60/70 fps to 45/50 and the drop would be noticeable as in the would be what would appear as lag.

Tbh vram really only becomes an issue with higher resolutions and lots of mods and I mean lots. 2gb of vram will do most people easily on 1080p.

Case: Cosmos 2 Cpu: 3930k @ 4.6 ghz Mobo: Sabertooth CoolerH100 with Sp120 Quiet ed Ram: 16GB Vengence Gpu: Gtx 680 Sli w/ EVGA Backplates Psu: Ax760 Hdd: 2TB seagate green Ssd: 120GB Corsair Force GT + 240GB Sandisk Extreme
Nr. #002
Old 08-06-13, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3rni3 View Post
Lots of mods will always cause crashes and problems if not loaded correctly. I was running 80+ mods on skyrim which completely changed the game. I was having some minor fps drops and I did get a crash to desktop from the start screen when I installed a lighting mod. I moved it up the load order and hey presto it works fine. That imo is not a vram issue.

Too little vram from my experience causes lower fps and massive fps drops. When I was playing skyrim my vram would max out in some areas and the fps would tank. The game wouldn't crash. The fps would drop from something like 60/70 fps to 45/50 and the drop would be noticeable as in the would be what would appear as lag.

Tbh vram really only becomes an issue with higher resolutions and lots of mods and I mean lots. 2gb of vram will do most people easily on 1080p.

yeah B3rni3 I know what you mean about mods causing errors when not loaded properly but this is different. In GTA with tons of mods after half an hour or so of gameplay you would get a specific vram error. Nothing to do with incorrectly installing mods.

Anyway this threads to gather info for a friend. He's just purchased a 3gb 7970 over a 2gb 680. He couldnt afford the 4gb 680 which was like £100 more expensive.

We're not most people XD.
Also this upgrade for my mate is for like 5 years. Currently he has a gts 250 which he got the year it came out in 2008 or something XD.
Old 08-06-13, 06:02 PM
OC3D Elite

in 1080p you will never crack the 2GB mark of VRAM, you only need lots of VRAM for higher resolutions.
Old 08-06-13, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feronix View Post
This is true to some extend. 'VRAM doesn't matter' is usually said to people that buy a pre-build PC depending on how much RAM the GPU has (because 'a GPU with more RAM is always faster, right?).

For an open-world game with lots of mods, yeah you're probably better off with a bit more VRAM. Nvidia also have 4GB versions of most their higher end cards though, if that's what you prefer. AMD is definitely cheaper.
Yeah I know what you mean. it's the same with normal RAM too. Don't worry i'm not one of those people who assume things will be faster/better because there a bigger number on the box. XD

I was just looking for myself at the 770's from evga. DAAAAAAAAAAAAMN them things have got to be the sexiest cards I've seen for a while. They even come with a free backplate.
http://eu.evga.com/products/moreInfo...0Family&uc=EUR
If I see a card I REALLY love and it's only 2gb In the back of my head i'm just like "how will it handle gta5 modding" XD.
Old 08-06-13, 06:05 PM
OC3D Elite

I bought a 6570 a couple of weeks ago, and for some reason that was a 2gb card.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004WYV8SI

No idea why they bothered doing that on a card like that tbh.
Old 08-06-13, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekaX View Post
in 1080p you will never crack the 2GB mark of VRAM, you only need lots of VRAM for higher resolutions.
So why is it, I mod GTA 4. I upload my mods into a pack and give them to a friend. He has a 3gb card. his runs smooth as hell no errors were as mine. I'm getting vram crashes after half an hour. I have

This has nothing to do with VRAM? or is it because 1gb isn't enough. Would 2gb be plenty. I mean future proof for GTA5 and other massive open world games thta I might mod.