Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 03-02-13, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesriley94 View Post
In the Prodigy, the PSU is completely hidden out of sight? I don't think it matters at all about the colour. Plus, the Silverstones are black anyway, so it wouldn't exactly stand out, even if you could see it.
I've built a couple of mate's PCs in the Prodigy, and cabling does get pretty difficult if you have long cables to hide. Plus, you could get the short kit custom sleeved gold which would then match your colour scheme perfectly.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/550w-...-120mm-fan-atx
With the short kit would be far better IMO - and you'd save a fair amount of money too.
Thanks for the advise i will probably use this and get some custom short cables sleeved gold!

Old 04-02-13, 12:05 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to BPRSM
Looking forward to seeing this done
Old 06-02-13, 12:27 PM

Have you put some thought onto painting the heatsinks for the motherboard?
Old 06-02-13, 02:12 PM

very nice hardware !!
i had the exact same idea for my build but at the last second i bought a different board and case
please finish it fast
Old 08-02-13, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPRSM View Post
Looking forward to seeing this done
Thanks. I will be progressing through the build. Because i don't have all the funds available to get everything at once i will have to wait till the end of each month (when i get paid) to get all the watercooling and graphics card!

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbeardav View Post
Have you put some thought onto painting the heatsinks for the motherboard?
I'm pointing more towards a silver and oil black theme now. I have looked at the case and all the parts that have come so far and i feel it will look better with more silver and black! So i think i will be leaving the heatsinks black!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giannakos23 View Post
very nice hardware !!
i had the exact same idea for my build but at the last second i bought a different board and case
please finish it fast
You should have stuck with the Prodigy and ITX Mobo there is so much potential! I am not planning on rushing this build as i have to wait so i get funds to do each part also each stage is gonna be well thought out and planned ahead of purchasing so i achieve the build that i expected.
Old 09-02-13, 03:31 AM

Progress Report 1

Progress Report 1

Getting my main components

Most of my main components for my build have arrived. First came the Bitfenix Prodigy ITX case. First impressions of this case is it looks well neat! It comes with two 120mm Black Bitfenix Spectre fans. I will probably be keeping these to be my radiator fans! There is just mesh on the front of the case so there will be good airflow at the front to allow plenty cool air into the case.

Inside the case there is a optical drive bay at the top which I have removed because that is were I am putting my rad! Also there are two separate drive bay compartment's were many HDD's or SSD's can be installed if you are using the case as a data rig. I have removed all the drive bays because it is were I will be placing my pump and res into the case! Even though I have removed the drive bays there are 2 cages on the I/O panel were I can install SSD's if needs be. But I will be installing my SSD's onto the back of the PSU cage as there are screw holes so 2 SSD's can be fitted discreetly here. Currently I'm leaning towards getting a '240GB Intel 520 Series, 2.5" SSD'!

Now I have removed the drive bay and rack its amazing how big the case looks inside. At the top there is a huge amount of clearance for a significant sized rad in push pull. There is loads of space in the front of the case to get a standing pump and res. I will probably be getting a 100mm tube res as I don’t want to be restricted in fitting the radiator at the top. If I have a push/pull rad it may not fit with a res larger than 100mm. Also I can see there is nice space in the top to fit a 30cm white LED strip and a smaller space in the bottom to place a 15cm one. This should evenly distribute light through the case!

One final thing about the case I have noticed the PSU cage is very small at 190mm length. I was going to get the 'Corsair AX750' which is 180mm in length but due to advice I changed to a '600W Silverstone SST-ST60F-PS Strider PSU' which is 140mm. When I installed the Silverstone power supply it was still a tight fit so if I had got the AX750 I would not have got it installed only with brute force onto the adapters!

The motherboard I have got is the 'ASRock Z77E-ITX Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Mini ITX Motherboard'. It's amazing how they have crammed so many thing on to such a small board and still made it look good. I love the gold caps and the silver and black it should go well with my planned color scheme!

The memory is the 'Corsair 16GB DOMINATOR Platinum Memory Kit 1866Mhz CL9'. Looks amazing with the silver heat spreaders and white LED lighting. Should go a treat in the build! Oh and great performance too.

The CPU is the 'Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache'. Best value for performance CPU on the market in my opinion. I wont be using my build for rendering or high end 3D graphics creating or Photoshop so I don’t need all the cores just 4 will do! I just want a high clock, overclockable processor for Gaming, playing HD movies and general web content. I'm hoping I can get stable clocks of 5Ghz with my watercooled build.

The PSU is the '600W Silverstone SST-ST60F-PS Strider PSU'. Great looking compact PSU. 600W will be ample for the build I am trying to achieve. The silver efficiency rating should keep the power consistent even if a push it to it's limits. It has some blue molex heads but they will be out of sight because the PSU goes tight up to the back of the cage! The braid on the cable is poor, but I will be purchasing separate short cables to braid silver so i keep a clean, color matched look.

So I have all the main component apart from the SSD and the graphics card. I have constructed the rig with stock CPU fan and supplied power cables and odd miss matched thing's just for testing all the components to ensure everything is as it should be. I am doing this so I can get a general scope of the kind of space I have when the components are in, so it helps me decide on the watercooling and fan set-up also aesthetic purposes. I will be doing benchmark tests and stress tests to ensure all the components are in 100% working order. I will be doing a 24 hour Prime95 stress test with the CPU at stock and monitor temps and ensure no failures occur. This should allow me to proceed with the watercooling once I have done this.

Old 09-02-13, 03:46 PM

Anyone know were i can get silver or gold colored cable sleeving?
Old 09-02-13, 04:53 PM
Average Penis Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by (SS)Stu View Post
Anyone know were i can get silver or gold colored cable sleeving?
Best sleeving you can get: http://en.mdpc-x.com/

OC3D Overclockers Club Member:
Nr. #00 (Club Owner)

Old 09-02-13, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageNinja View Post
Best sleeving you can get: http://en.mdpc-x.com/
Cheers i'll check this out!
Old 09-02-13, 05:21 PM

Do you think this SSD is a solid choice for my build?
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/240gb...52000-iops-max

Tags
build, gold, itx, prodigy, watercooling