Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 13-08-12, 11:10 PM

I recommend Corsair 650D Obsidian case. I have it and it's awesome!!! They call it midtower but it's full tower size. GPU I'd suggest AMD 7950 or 7970 great cards.

Old 13-08-12, 11:12 PM
OC3D Crew

Andrew's build is good, but another thing i'd change apart from the things mentioned above is the mobo. Swap the Gigabyte board for an MSI Z77 GD55 as it's the same price but performs better and the MSI BIOS is easier to use then the Gigabyte

Old 13-08-12, 11:12 PM

Hmm alright shakal but i know nothing of amd and i kind of want to stay in the intel and geforce "theme" so to speak. :P
Old 13-08-12, 11:13 PM

Hmm ok petrolhead ty.
If anyone have more changes tell me now i'll be ordering tomorow!
Old 13-08-12, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmchugh View Post
You just don't wanna be using a sand-force drive mate, they are terrible. Please get the samsung 830 or m4.

Greens will be quieter if not near silent, but there is a performance difference between the green and black. WD are the best hdds for reliability.
I dont want to sound stupid but i simply dont know, do blacks run very loud then? or "ok" loud, you know acceptable. I dont want an airplane sounding computer :P

and again, i might sound stupid cause i dont know these stuff but whats sand-force then and whats so bad about it?
ive seen good reviews on this product though and i think newegg gave em 5 stars aswell...
anyways if its rly that bad i'll go with a m4
Old 13-08-12, 11:19 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesriley94 View Post
You'd be better going for a 60hz IPS IMO. 2560x1400 doesnt really make the game much better, and will only dumb down frame rates and increase cost - so you're better going with 1080p.
Should only really be buying the 120hz if you want it for 3d as the quality of the monitors are not as good as the 60hz screens, and you cant really tell the difference over 60hz (some people think you can but I'm pretty sure that's just placebo effects)
I respectfully disagree with James when it comes to monitors. In my opinion 1440p is gorgeous and you wont want to go back to 1080p. He is right that is does increase cost, because of the power required to run it. It IS a luxury item, not required. I also disagree with James, that 120hz is not noticeable. When you jump on a 120hz EVERYTHING is smoother, even dragging your mouse and windows around. Its hard to explain to someone, but its there. Whether or not you have the power to run in 60+ frames to make use of it, is another question. Also a luxury, and I agree 60hz 1080p would be the cost friendly option. But with a 2400 pound budget, id say its not out of the question.
Corsair GS600
XFX Double D 7950 OC
MSI P67A-G43
Crucial M4 128gb
Seagate Barracuda 1tb storage
Old 13-08-12, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXGoldbergXx View Post
Hmm alright shakal but i know nothing of amd and i kind of want to stay in the intel and geforce "theme" so to speak. :P
Always up untill my first build i had a store bought computers with Inte/nVidia becasue i always though AMD/ATI was crap. My first build i went with 2500k/crossfire 6950's set up. That was little over a year ago. I am now working on my 2nd build which is amd 8150FX/Radeon HD 7970. Both CPU/GPU water cooled. Don't worry man whatever you decide you'll be fine
Old 13-08-12, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmchugh View Post
You just don't wanna be using a sand-force drive mate, they are terrible. Please get the samsung 830 or m4.

Greens will be quieter if not near silent, but there is a performance difference between the green and black. WD are the best hdds for reliability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga View Post
I respectfully disagree with James when it comes to monitors. In my opinion 1440p is gorgeous and you wont want to go back to 1080p. He is right that is does increase cost, because of the power required to run it. It IS a luxury item, not required. I also disagree with James, that 120hz is not noticeable. When you jump on a 120hz EVERYTHING is smoother, even dragging your mouse and windows around. Its hard to explain to someone, but its there. Whether or not you have the power to run in 60+ frames to make use of it, is another question. Also a luxury, and I agree 60hz 1080p would be the cost friendly option. But with a 2400 pound budget, id say its not out of the question.
Thanks alot mate for the reply
hmm but you make me confused more now i have no idea wich monitor to go with, probably a 120 hz one but i dont know if i should go 2560x... or 1900x... hmmm...
Old 13-08-12, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakal View Post
Always up untill my first build i had a store bought computers with Inte/nVidia becasue i always though AMD/ATI was crap. My first build i went with 2500k/crossfire 6950's set up. That was little over a year ago. I am now working on my 2nd build which is amd 8150FX/Radeon HD 7970. Both CPU/GPU water cooled. Don't worry man whatever you decide you'll be fine
i HOPE it'll be fine and that i'll be satisfied, tbh im a bit scared i'll have screen tearing or something on whatever monitor i'll play, i hope all games have vsync option
Old 14-08-12, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXGoldbergXx View Post
i HOPE it'll be fine and that i'll be satisfied, tbh im a bit scared i'll have screen tearing or something on whatever monitor i'll play, i hope all games have vsync option
Have you watched any youtube videos on how to assemble a PC? I watched this guys(
) old tutorial and after i was done i felt 100% confident. After i put everything together i was so excited and a little nervous at the same time, i forgot to plug in the power cable into the outlet so after i pressed the start button absolutely nothing happened. I freaked out and didn't know what to but then saw started and all was good lol This build i just put together there was some small pin on the motherboard that was tripping and wouldn't let computer start took me few hours to figure that out. So chances are you will run into some problems but just relax go over everything 100 times and you'll be on your way to gaming on pc you made yourself.