Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 07-08-12, 04:35 PM
OC3D Elite

The A40s are mainly used as console headsets, and they come with their own Mixamp. This mixamp can be plugged into the computer, so no soundcard would be needed there.
Alternatively, you could plug the Astros straight into the PC. I'm not sure if the A40s would actually benefit from a soundcard, as i'm not sure if they are of a high enough quality. They're great for gaming, but i'm just not sure.
Maybe...

Old 07-08-12, 04:42 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Weston View Post
The A40s are mainly used as console headsets, and they come with their own Mixamp. This mixamp can be plugged into the computer, so no soundcard would be needed there.
Alternatively, you could plug the Astros straight into the PC. I'm not sure if the A40s would actually benefit from a soundcard, as i'm not sure if they are of a high enough quality. They're great for gaming, but i'm just not sure.
Maybe...
Yeah, then there's really no point getting a soundcard, wasn't sure if they come with the amp, thats why I suggested a soundcard first
Old 07-08-12, 07:57 PM

Talking

Right, sorry if I keep going on about the same but yeah..
These are the current specs that I'm going to get:

CPU - Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU cooler - Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard - MSI Z77A-GD65 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory - Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4G DDR3-1600 Memory
Hard drive - Crucial M4 512GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)
Case - ?
Power Supply - Corsair 850W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical drive - ?
OS - WIndows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Few questions before I'm going to order my computer..
Is this cpu cooler really good enough to hold 4.5 ghz? I want to be absolutely sure and hope it keeps stable, dont want a burned cpu.
So I'm getting 16gb RAM, is it possible to get 32gb in the future if for any reason I need it?
Is the motherboard best for this setup? Are there any features I should have on a different motherboard?
Videocard... I know im getting annoying but isn't 680 SLI like a safer bet for future games? I can afford it.
Any cases you guys prefer? The ones stated previously looks good, I'll have a look at them tomorow, I want to know everyones opinion.
Is the power supply good enough to handle 4.5ghz? Should I get a bigger one to be sure?
Optical drive? I dont know much about this so... I will watch some blueray movies on it if possible and normal cd's. Don't know wich ones is best.
And lastly!
Might be offtopic but wich monitor would be best for this rig? I'd love a high quality monitor max resolution, it may be 3d.

Thanks for all your help guys I apreciate it. <3
Old 07-08-12, 08:04 PM
OC3D Elite

I could have sworn that I answered a lot of these questions in the messages that you sent me.
Cooler: yes it's fine.
RAM: get 8GB DIMMs and you'll be fine.
Motherboard: yes.
Videocard: as previously mentioned, if you can afford it and don't care about wasting your money, then get the 680. You'll probably feel bad if you don't.
Power supply: an AX750 could handle a 3770k and two GTX680s, all overclocked. Yes, it's fine.
Optical drive: http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Stora...roductId=50406 that seems extra super-dee-super, so go for that.
Monitor: max res and 3d can no go hand in hand. 3D monitors, 120Hz, are capped at 1920x1080 for now.
Old 07-08-12, 08:33 PM

Yeah you have answered some of the questions but I also want to know other peoples opinion.
Old 07-08-12, 09:12 PM
OC3D Crew

I can only tell you more or less the same as Josh

A Noctua NH-D14 or H100 will keep your CPU cool, just get two Corsair SP120 fans with the H100 to keep your rig quiet.
RAM: 2x8GB, this way you can add two more dimms later for 32GB
670s would be fine, but if you've got the money, go ahead and buy two 680
750W is plenty for a this config
Personally I'd much rather get a 2560x1600 monitor than a 3d, but if you watch a lot of 3d blueray movies on your pc, then a 3d screen could be better for you, as you've got a good 1000€ left from your original budget you could even pick up a 3d tv or projector, although it might seem overkill
Old 07-08-12, 09:22 PM

No no, on second thought I'm not going to buy a 3d monitor if its capped lower.
No projector or tv I dont have space for a second big screen tv. I'm looking for a high resolution pc monitor.
Old 07-08-12, 09:26 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXMarstonXx View Post
No no, on second thought I'm not going to buy a 3d monitor if its capped lower.
No projector or tv I dont have space for a second big screen tv. I'm looking for a high resolution pc monitor.
Sorry I thought you don't have a TV bacause you said you watched movies on you pc and you want a bd drive, however for a high res monitor I'd take a look at a Dell UltraSharp U2711, the 30'' model is much more expensive
Old 07-08-12, 09:31 PM
OC3D Crew

Forget 680's, they're just not worth the extra money over the 670's whatsoever. I think it's about a 5% performance difference between the 670 and 680 or something extremely small light that, in other words you won't notice a difference at all. If you gonna go SLI get 2 x 670's and save a bunch of money that would've originally been wasted.

Also, are you going to be using multiple monitors? If not i think 2 x 670's is a bit unnecessary, 1 of them would max out pretty much every game you throw at it on one screen

Old 07-08-12, 09:40 PM

Thx for the reply petrolhead!

Wow is the difference really only 5%ish?
As for monitors I will use 1 good monitor now, and when I'm in my new appartement in a year or 2 I get 1 or 2 monitors and link them.