Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 07-08-12, 03:39 PM

@Josh
yeah you are right I havent looked into overclocking at all as in how to do it and stuff just stumbeled around some complaints from people that their processor is too hot to cool.
I figured I want the computer first, make sure its possible to get high overclocks and when I have it then I look into it and do it.
For now I'd like to focus on hardware and making sure I get the right things.

Old 07-08-12, 03:41 PM
Average Penis Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXMarstonXx View Post
To Avarageninja
I do prefer an i7 processor even if I dont need one.
nice feedback and as for case i have no idea full or mid tower?
If you mean the size, the size doesnt matter, perhaps a big case would be better for better airflow and cooling perhaps.
I actually listed a 3770k in the picture.
(btw, £1900 = about €2400. You could buy one, or three monitors for that money, possibly even three 27" monitors)

OC3D Overclockers Club Member:
Nr. #00 (Club Owner)

Old 07-08-12, 03:52 PM

Sorry if I'm picky about this but I do not want to get disapointed in the end. So for now we have

CPU - I7 3770K
CPU cooler - Noctua or H100
Motherboard - MSI Z77A GD65
Memory - a 16gb RAM
Hard drive - Crusial SSD, 2-3TB HDD
Video Card - GTX 670 x1, Although my gut tells me I should go 680 and perhaps SLI it or is that already an overkill?
Case - I'll decide that later its a detail.
Power Supply - Corsair AX 850
Optical drive - Probably a blue ray
OS - WIndows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sound Card? About this, I do have computer speakers, and I have headphones with surround sound so is it worth investing in a sound card?

So that's what we got so far, everything seems good although I have more questions! I have read alot of good things of Crusial being cheap and good but I also read on a few pc build sites it has less read or write speed than a crusial one. I think crusial had about 300 or so in 1 of these factors and Corsais had 500+ in both. As for RAM I suppose 16'll have to do. Lastly the processor, you guys suggest me a 3770K but benchmarks and stuff give me higher value than this. Why is it? Also the 3930K has 6 cores 12 hypertreading so doesnt that technically make it better and faster? Sorry for being new to this I'm getting confused.
Old 07-08-12, 03:56 PM
OC3D Elite

Get the 670. If you really think you need more performance from it after a couple of weeks of use, get another and do SLI.

As for the processor - no games are coded to run off more than 2 or 3 cores - so there's no difference between the i5 and a 3960X in gaming. Unless you're doing a lot of rendering, you really dont need a 3930k. If you're doing minimal editing, get the i5. If you're actually going to edit and render like more than 3 times a week, go for the 3770k. Otherwise, you wont see any difference whatsoever between the i5 and the i7.
Old 07-08-12, 03:57 PM
Average Penis Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXMarstonXx View Post
Sorry if I'm picky about this but I do not want to get disapointed in the end. So for now we have

CPU - I7 3770K
CPU cooler - Noctua or H100
Motherboard - MSI Z77A GD65
Memory - a 16gb RAM
Hard drive - Crusial SSD, 2-3TB HDD
Video Card - GTX 670 x1, Although my gut tells me I should go 680 and perhaps SLI it or is that already an overkill?
Case - I'll decide that later its a detail.
Power Supply - Corsair AX 850
Optical drive - Probably a blu ray
OS - WIndows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sound Card? About this, I do have computer speakers, and I have headphones with surround sound so is it worth investing in a sound card?

So that's what we got so far, everything seems good although I have more questions! I have read alot of good things of Crusial being cheap and good but I also read on a few pc build sites it has less read or write speed than a crusial one. I think crusial had about 300 or so in 1 of these factors and Corsais had 500+ in both. As for RAM I suppose 16'll have to do. Lastly the processor, you guys suggest me a 3770K but benchmarks and stuff give me higher value than this. Why is it? Also the 3930K has 6 cores 12 hypertreading so doesnt that technically make it better and faster? Sorry for being new to this I'm getting confused.
Looks good to me. But get two 4GB GTX 670s in SLI. It may be overkill. But if you're gaming on triple screens or on something higher resolution than 1920x1080, they are going to be amazing. And it'll max out any game and still maintain really high FPS.
Also Crucial drives still have 500mb/s. But MB/s doesn't really matter. That's why a sandisk extreme drive at 250MB/s performs just as well as an Corsair drive.
As for the CPU: Games only use 2 cores, and some use 4 but not 6.
A 3930k will only be for really heavy video editing and rendering, but not for you. A 3770k is plenty for not too intense video editing.

OC3D Overclockers Club Member:
Nr. #00 (Club Owner)

Old 07-08-12, 03:57 PM
OC3D Crew

Optical drive: why a blueray, they are far too expensive and as any ODD it ruins the look of your case.

For the soundcard: If you have highend speakers and headphones get something like this: http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=48630 otherwise don't spend more than 50GBP
Old 07-08-12, 04:09 PM

Hmm alright 3770K it is. Will this be good though for the coming 5 years or so in gaming? Also it's still the 1155 board, don't we need 2011 for future processors?

Also whats wrong with a blue ray? :P I can't follow you there.

And for the sound card that depends. I have Astro A40s as headset, the sound is pretty awesome. Do you think with this headset that I should get a sound card?

Also games have this DirectX11 feature instead of 9. Haven't seen much of it but apparently it has something to do with smoother graphics, reason I'm bringing this up is playing at DirectX11 requires heavier hardware. I can still manage to play this?
Old 07-08-12, 04:12 PM
OC3D Elite

You need to be concerned more about the GPU in 5 years time. There is no way to predict if a component would be capable of running programs/games in 5 years time, but certainly in the next year or so you can bet that your system will easily be able to handle anything you throw at it.
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro (B3) || CPU: i7 2600k || Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 780 Ti ACX || Memory: 16GB - Mushkin Blackline 8GB + Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB || SSD's + HDD's: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (OS + Programs) + Caviar Black 2TB (Games + Storage) || CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 || Power Supply: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P9 750W || Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D || Monitor(s): Dell U2410 + HP w1907v

Old 07-08-12, 04:13 PM
OC3D Elite

I also have the A40s. No, you don't need a sound card
And no, this won't be future proof. 5 years is a long time for the computer industry. But with the money you've saved with us, in 5 years time when you need a new graphics card, you'll me able to get one.
Old 07-08-12, 04:17 PM
OC3D Crew

@Josh: Does this headset come with a USB soundcard, or why do you think a soundcard wouldn't be nice to have, considering the budget?

@xXMarstonXx: I have all my movies on a raid array so I don't need any ODD, and don't you think the bezel of the ODD ruins the look of the front of your case, what do the other guys think?