Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 07-08-12, 02:36 PM

Arrow First time computer build, need some help! :(

Hello everyone

I am now planning to get a custom computer for the first time specifically for playing heavy hardware demanding games and possibly video editing and stuff.
I just cannot decide even after weeks and weeks of looking stuff up.
I basically am in a dillema of wich processor to use and I have read so many other forums and people keep on saying both are good but I still need to decide and both need a different type of motherboard!
I have asked my friends before sending this but no one knows much about computer hardware.
Here's a summary to make things clear on what I need.

CPU - What is the best for CPU for my needs? An Intel core i7 3930k / 3770k?
CPU cooler - ??? (Depends on the processor wich is undecided)
Motherboard - ??? (Depends on the processor wich is undecided)
Memory - 32gb or 64gb?
Hard drive - SSD for making my computer fast and a 2-3TB HDD
Video Card - 1x Geforce GTX 680, 2x 680 or GTX 690?
Case - ?
Power Supply - ?
Optical drive - ?
OS - WIndows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sound Card - I do not know much about this but do I need one or is there sound in videocards these days? I truely have no clue.
(feel free to suggest me brands i should go with)

I do want my system to be "future proof", I know theres no such thing but with this I mean I want this build to last for like 5 years or more no problem and able to play games at maximum settings and all other stuff enables to make gaming experience better (games like Crysis, Crysis2, BF3 all those heavy demanding games). I do seek to have a good amount of fps in these high resolutions.
I have about a 3500-5000€ budget for this thing so I can really let myself go but I do not wish to spend money on things you barely see any performance gains. And if the costs do go up to 5000€ I do expect it to be a monster of a computer.
Please do make sure the cooling is good enough for some serious overclocking and that it lasts for the 5 or more years that I need it.
Please do try to help me fast as I need this computer before next month and I still need to order the pieces from a different country.

Thank you in advance for the help guys and sorry for the long text! xO

Old 07-08-12, 02:50 PM
Average Penis Too

For gaming you're NEVER going to need more than 8gb of ram.
You're not going to need an i7. Get a i5 3570k. You don't need more for gaming.
For SSD: Go for a Crucial M4 128gb ssd.
Get 2 GTX 670s for GPUs.
Get a Corsair H100 or a Noctua NH-D14.
Get a Corsair AX850 PSU.
Optical Drive doesn't matter.
The sound-chip is on the motherboard.
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD65
Also, What kind of case do you want? Full-Tower? Mid-Tower?

OC3D Overclockers Club Member:
Nr. #00 (Club Owner)

Old 07-08-12, 02:53 PM
OC3D Elite

Holy...ok.

See the bold writing for my answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXMarstonXx View Post
Hello everyone

CPU - What is the best for CPU for my needs? An Intel core i7 3930k / 3770k?
Seeing as though the video editing is a 'maybe', a 3770K is all you'll need.
CPU cooler - ??? (Depends on the processor wich is undecided)
Air cooling: NH-D14 is the best, with coolers such as the NZXT Havik also being good choices. You also have all in one water loops such as the H100, which is another good option but more expensive. With the kin dof money you have to throw at this, however, you may wish to look at a dedicated water loop. Some research would have to be put into this, though.
Motherboard - ??? (Depends on the processor wich is undecided)
MSI Z77A GD65 is a favourite among these forums. You really can't go wrong with it.
Memory - 32gb or 64gb?
16GB 1600MHz If you're getting something like the 'D14, be sure to get something low profile such as the Mushkin RAM, or else you'll run into some serious issues with RAM clearance.
Hard drive - SSD for making my computer fast and a 2-3TB HDD
Intel, Crucial, Corsair and Samsung all make some great drives. Intel lead with performance, have outstanding reliability but also have a high price tag. Crucial have the best reliability of any SSD manufacturer, and have amazing prices to match.
Video Card - 1x Geforce GTX 680, 2x 680 or GTX 690?
Are you going to be using more than one 1920x1080 monitor? If so, and you're gaming on a triple screen setup, then either a 4gb 670 or 680 is the best choice. The 670 delivers near as dammit identical performance to a 680 when overclocked, and is far cheaper. However, money doesn't really seem to be an object here, so look around for some 4GB 680s if you wish If you do chose to watercool the GPUs be sure to get a reference PCB for the cards.
Case - ?
This is really up to you mate. Cases are such personal preference, it's really hard to tell you what to buy. Take a look at the Coolermaster Storm Stryker/Trooper, the Corsair 600T and 650D, NZXT Phantom 410/Switch 810 - all good cases.
Power Supply - ?
A Corsair AX850 watt would be enough to power two 680s easily, so that's probably a safe bet.
Optical drive - ?
Up to you. Just make sure it has the ability to write as well as read.
OS - WIndows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sound Card - I do not know much about this but do I need one or is there sound in videocards these days? I truely have no clue.
(feel free to suggest me brands i should go with)
Do you have speakers/headphones which would require this? Asus make some great sound cards, so have a look at them.
Old 07-08-12, 03:02 PM
Average Penis Too

You could consider this one:

OC3D Overclockers Club Member:
Nr. #00 (Club Owner)

Old 07-08-12, 03:03 PM
OC3D Elite

You've said that you would "possibly" do some "video editing and stuff" so I'm guessing it won't be a lot. With that I'm assuming that the main purpose of the proposed build is for gaming and for that you would be better off with the 3770k, which is a lot cheaper than the 3930k and it would also leave room for any video editing you do in the future. Although, if the video editing you are likely to do will be minimal then I'm thinking that the 3570k should be fine. I would personally grab the 3770k, just to have the option of Hyper-Threading and the greater PPD if you ever decide to Fold .

For the CPU cooler, if you want the best of the best in air cooling, then the Noctua NH-D14 is the only way to go. Other close contenders include the Silver Arrow, the Phantek PH-TC14 and the Havik 140. The Noctua cooler will be the quietest, but the colour is definitely marmite. If you don't mind the colour and you just want the best performing cooler, you can't go wrong with the NH-D14.

As Josh has mentioned 16GB would be more than enough and be sure to choose something that is Low Profile. I use the Muskin Blackline personally

I can personally recommend the Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD, but Crucial drives are the most reliable and speed wise the difference between the Crucial M4 and the Force 3 will be very small.

I agree with Josh, for a multi-monitor setup go for a 4GB 670 and if it's only one screen than a 2GB 670 all the way.

As for everything else I pretty much agree with what Josh has said. Very solid advice from him.
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro (B3) || CPU: i7 2600k || Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 780 Ti ACX || Memory: 16GB - Mushkin Blackline 8GB + Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB || SSD's + HDD's: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (OS + Programs) + Caviar Black 2TB (Games + Storage) || CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 || Power Supply: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P9 750W || Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D || Monitor(s): Dell U2410 + HP w1907v

Old 07-08-12, 03:24 PM

Custom computer

Oh wow I didnt expect a reply so quickly... Apreciate it thx guys

To Avarageninja
I do prefer an i7 processor even if I dont need one.
nice feedback and as for case i have no idea full or mid tower?
If you mean the size, the size doesnt matter, perhaps a big case would be better for better airflow and cooling perhaps.

To Josh Weston
Thx for the reply, the 'maybe' about videoediting and stuff is true, it's because I will make a youtube video even though I have never posted a single vid on youtube. And I'll see if people like it I'll also get more into videomaking, perhaps let's plays of new games or highly demanded ones.
As for the videocard and monitor. I'll be buying a new monitor for highest possible resolution. I won't be using 2 or 3 monitors YET. I will in the future, wich might be 2-3 years from now when I get my new appartement.
So that being said what do you think is best a SLI setup or single GPU ?

To yassarikhan786
Thx for the reply, So everyone is sure I don't need more than 16 gb ram? More RAM doesn't affect my pc much more? I do run a 64 bit system and stuff so I don't know, but if you think it's best.
Also GTX 670 is enough to play the latest game at full resolution without low fps ? I am talking about max resolution and Vsync and all that on so just want to make sure.

Thx for all the quick replies guys I apreciate it!
Old 07-08-12, 03:29 PM

Ah damn I forgot to mention I do wish to overclock with the processor!
And I have read and seen some issues with the 3770k on youtube. Basically what they are saying that when you get to a certain point with it your temperatures skyrocket and your cooling doesnt do anything or close to nothing anymore. I do wish to prevent this but I dont know if the problem has been solved yet.
Old 07-08-12, 03:31 PM
OC3D Crew

I have an idea : go for these parts that AverageNinja recommends X2
5000 euros are enough to build 2 of those rigs. keep one for yourself and the other give it away to a friend of yours.

I'm a player Not a payer
I'm a Greek not a geek
Old 07-08-12, 03:31 PM
OC3D Elite

For a 2560x1600 monitor (max we can get at the moment) you may find yourself better off with a 4GB card. I would imagine that in some games with good textures etc. the 2GB of VRAM would get saturated.
A single 4GB 670 SHOULD be enough for you, but you always have the ability to add another if need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXMarstonXx View Post
Ah damn I forgot to mention I do wish to overclock with the processor!
And I have read and seen some issues with the 3770k on youtube. Basically what they are saying that when you get to a certain point with it your temperatures skyrocket and your cooling doesnt do anything or close to nothing anymore. I do wish to prevent this but I dont know if the problem has been solved yet.
I can get my 3770K up to 4.5GHz with a NH-D14 at 5v and the temperatures hover around 75-76*C on the hottest core as I fold 24/7.
You would be able to get your up to similar clock speeds, and you'd have no trouble rendering the odd youtube video. Just take your time with your overclock, and don't get ahead of yourself. I'll be honest, I think you need to do some more research into this before you start tinkering with stuff, even though it is easy, because you don't want your nice new i7 to go pop.
Old 07-08-12, 03:37 PM
OC3D Elite

Yes, 16GB will be more than sufficient. You don't really need more than 8GB for gaming and it would probably be fine for video editing as well. 16GB is just so that you have lots of headroom for when you will be editing exceedingly large files.

The 670 will easily give you 50+ fps on a 1920 x 1080 resolution on all of the current titles as well as future titles for at least a couple of years.

And about the processor you are right about the "thermal wall," but even with that you will be able to overclock to about 4.5Ghz with a fairly low vcore. The Hyperthreading will affect the temps, but I think 4.5Ghz will be attainable with reasonable temperatures as well. I don't have an IB processor, but Josh does so he can tell you more about that.
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro (B3) || CPU: i7 2600k || Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 780 Ti ACX || Memory: 16GB - Mushkin Blackline 8GB + Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB || SSD's + HDD's: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (OS + Programs) + Caviar Black 2TB (Games + Storage) || CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 || Power Supply: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P9 750W || Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D || Monitor(s): Dell U2410 + HP w1907v