Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 16-06-09, 10:57 AM
The Guvnor

I got my 8gb 3g piephone as a refurb offer direct from 02 for £50, theres no way Ill sign an 18month contract, I pay £16 per month for a 30 day recurring contract with 600 mins, unlimited text and internet...... you wont find me on a £35+ contract ever again, Ill just buy it simfree if I want it that badly.

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 16-06-09, 01:08 PM
OC3D Elite

It works out somewhere similar at the moment though.. Here are very crude workings out:

On the contract that is comparable with my Simplicity deal:

£200 for the new Iphone + 18 months at £34 = about £815

£500 for Iphone or whatever it is sim free + 18 months at £20 (simplicity) = about £860.

Either way around it, if you want it new, you're gonna pay roughly the same.

If you can wait for some refurbs or ebay then fair play.

I just figured that I used to pay around £40 for a worse contract than that so tis alright for me at the time being. That said when I move out and end up with lots more bills, then I might have to think again
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4700mhz - 47 x 100MHz Mobo: MSI P67A GD65 GPU: EVGA GTX 570 RAM: 2 x 4GB Mushkin LV 1.35v 1600MHz DDR3 HDD: 3 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3's Case: CoolerMaster ATCS 840 - Custom House of Kolor paint job. PSU: Corsair HX750 Cooling: Custom WC - XSPC Delta V3, PA120.3, DDC Ultra with XSPC Res Top, 3/8" XSPC UV Green Tubing over 1/2" Barbs OS: Windows 7 Enterprise Edition 64-Bit
Old 16-06-09, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Bungral'
Do you think there will now be apps that will only be able to run on the newer model due to speed?
Yes from what I've heard

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Jim'
I'm waiting for the Samsung I7500 personally...

AMOLED screen + Android = lush tbh.
Not big on Android and even less keen on the Samsung touch phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='nepas'
New ARM chips headed for iPhone, Palm Pre?

When this happens I may finally drag my ass into buying one
Agreed, I think I will wait until something exciting is out.
Old 16-06-09, 04:12 PM
OC3D Elite

i dont understand why people who have the older iphone are moaning because o2 wont upgrade them cheaply. New models of phones come out all the time, they dont offer discounts on those, why should they on the iphone.

TTL, is there a website the for the o2 refurbs?

Old 16-06-09, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='nathan'
i dont understand why people who have the older iphone are moaning because o2 wont upgrade them cheaply. New models of phones come out all the time, they dont offer discounts on those, why should they on the iphone.
Perhaps because the phone companies fully subsidise these phones and O² have put the price UP on the new gen phone, rather than down as Apple suggested it should be.
Old 16-06-09, 06:54 PM
OC3D Elite

Price structure is a little different over here than with the AT&T contracts too.

In that we get charged "whatever the hell" for products ofc.

I would almost guarantee u a free/cheap iPhone by some method or fashion if ur iPhone contract is about to run out mind u.

If they have any sense, they will consider an extented contract to an existing one as a new one. Doubt this will happen tho.

Cheap(er) upgradable phones from existing contract holders isn't exactly new either. Used to get massive savings on smartphones from Orange. Don't quite understand why people will see an Apple phone and feel the users are behaving any differently. Existing contractors generally get some cream, new users get a little too, always appeared that way to me.

I can remember back in the Razr days people taking a free upgraded phone and selling them off, just keeping their older phone.

Old 16-06-09, 06:56 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Kempez'
Perhaps because the phone companies fully subsidise these phones and O² have put the price UP on the new gen phone, rather than down as Apple suggested it should be.
i'm fully aware that phone companies subsidise them. Not heard anything about apple saying they suggested to lower the price?

Old 16-06-09, 07:07 PM

Check out the keynote from the WWDC mate, they said it there
Old 17-06-09, 10:05 PM
OC3D Elite

Just looking about since people have been complaining to me saying how the new 3G S is no different hardware-wise than the 3G.

Well according to T-Mobile Netherlands the hardware has greatly improved. Check this acticle.

Also an OpenGL GPU - YUSH PWEES!

Old 17-06-09, 10:10 PM
OC3D Elite

Yeah I've had a look into it and it's double the RAM and it's got pretty much the same CPU as the Pre.. Other than just working at 600MHz compared to the 412MHz (or similar??) it's got architectural benefits too. Also the graphics have been improve quite a bit.
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4700mhz - 47 x 100MHz Mobo: MSI P67A GD65 GPU: EVGA GTX 570 RAM: 2 x 4GB Mushkin LV 1.35v 1600MHz DDR3 HDD: 3 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3's Case: CoolerMaster ATCS 840 - Custom House of Kolor paint job. PSU: Corsair HX750 Cooling: Custom WC - XSPC Delta V3, PA120.3, DDC Ultra with XSPC Res Top, 3/8" XSPC UV Green Tubing over 1/2" Barbs OS: Windows 7 Enterprise Edition 64-Bit