Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 15-06-09, 09:15 PM
OC3D Elite

New Iphone 3G S

Ok so it's been announced for the best part of a week, but so far it's got no mention on here really. Figured I would post something.

I have been on 3 for years and could have upgraded again in November, but didn't wanna be stuck with them when the new batch of smartphones came out. Also wanted to get off the network as I'd been with them since they started. Decided on a Simplicity plan to allow me to get out of it at very short notice when I'd decided on the next phone for me.

It was pretty much out of the next gen Iphone or N97. N97 showed promise due to the camera and qwerty over the Iphone but they went and chose a poxy resistive touchscreen compared to the Iphones (not matched anywhere for class) capacitive screen. Also the Iphones OS was a serious draw compared to Symbian. I like Symbian but have always found it a lil buggy on the flagship Nokia smartphones.

Anyway, after a lil bit of phoning around I have just pre-ordered my (soon to be) new Iphone 3G S 32GB (White).

The reason for the phoning around is that you can get £60 cashback through quidco through mobiles.co.uk which takes the sting out of the £178 ish lump for the phone. That with selling the N95 for £100 or a little more will pretty much wipe out the initial payment. I had to find out if O2 would let me port my already O2 Simplicity plan number to an O2 Iphone contract. Turns out they will which is a result.

*stops the ramblings now*

Anyone else getting it? All the providers seem to be stitching the loyal customers up a little bit though from what I've read. Serious upgrade costs that make it almost cheaper to cancel the contract and take out a new one.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4700mhz - 47 x 100MHz Mobo: MSI P67A GD65 GPU: EVGA GTX 570 RAM: 2 x 4GB Mushkin LV 1.35v 1600MHz DDR3 HDD: 3 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3's Case: CoolerMaster ATCS 840 - Custom House of Kolor paint job. PSU: Corsair HX750 Cooling: Custom WC - XSPC Delta V3, PA120.3, DDC Ultra with XSPC Res Top, 3/8" XSPC UV Green Tubing over 1/2" Barbs OS: Windows 7 Enterprise Edition 64-Bit
Old 15-06-09, 09:22 PM
OC3D Crew

I have the 16GB non-S version. I won't be paying through the nose for the S version that is for sure. Agreed - Apple/O2 do seem to be stiching up those with existing iPhone contracts...I like my iPhone but my fanatacism doesn't stretch quite that far!!
Old 15-06-09, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Mullet'
I have the 16GB non-S version. I won't be paying through the nose for the S version that is for sure. Agreed - Apple/O2 do seem to be stiching up those with existing iPhone contracts...I like my iPhone but my fanatacism doesn't stretch quite that far!!
Yep I'm withyou, although I have an 8GB version (black).

The 3GS is a great option for those who want a new phone and are willing to do the mobiles.co.uk/quidco thing, but for those with a contract (that you would have to buy out I may add), it's very expensive. I'll wait for a price reduction *cough*yeah right*cough* in the summer
Old 15-06-09, 10:02 PM
OC3D Elite

Thing is if you end up waiting a few months, it's hardly worth getting getting it if there will be a refresh each year.

I mean I'm now on an 18 month contract as I worked out the difference between that and the 24 monther. Phone is £80 cheaper but how much do you spend in those 6 extra months?

Obviously ya have to take into consideration the fact you would have all your minutes for another 6 months, but it still worked out more than an 18 month contract and then a sim only contract for 6 months.

At 12 months in this contract, there will be a new phone which of course O2 will more than likely slap a hefty upgrade price tag on. They can bugger right off.

I completely agree that it's not worth it if you already have an Iphone and have a chunk of contract left.

Do you think there will now be apps that will only be able to run on the newer model due to speed?
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4700mhz - 47 x 100MHz Mobo: MSI P67A GD65 GPU: EVGA GTX 570 RAM: 2 x 4GB Mushkin LV 1.35v 1600MHz DDR3 HDD: 3 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3's Case: CoolerMaster ATCS 840 - Custom House of Kolor paint job. PSU: Corsair HX750 Cooling: Custom WC - XSPC Delta V3, PA120.3, DDC Ultra with XSPC Res Top, 3/8" XSPC UV Green Tubing over 1/2" Barbs OS: Windows 7 Enterprise Edition 64-Bit
Old 16-06-09, 07:23 AM
OC3D Elite

I'm waiting for the Samsung I7500 personally...

AMOLED screen + Android = lush tbh.
Old 16-06-09, 09:13 AM
OC3D Elite

Seen that new Voda HTC Android phone?? Had a lil play on one of those the other day. Tis quite thin and light.

That Sammy looks quite nice, but the app store kinda sold the Iphone for me this time around. I am a lil tired of phones that are 'nearly' spot on.

As for a recommendation from you Jimbo, you change your phones like there's no tomorrow.
Old 16-06-09, 09:23 AM
OC3D Elite

Do what i do.

Go to asda pull out a crisp £10 note and buy some thing to make calls on ....

What more could you ask for lol ....

A phone that makes phone calls in seconds ..

Bargin ...

Personally never owned a phone that cost more than £15 max.

On the other hand my kids have them nokia Music phone but it all means nothing to me lol ...

Iphone is just a rip off to get more money off you and tie you to a contract to take even more off you...
Old 16-06-09, 09:35 AM
OC3D Elite

I got an iPhone on pay as you go, and admittedly it did cost a lot, but I still get free 3g each month and for topping up £10 I get 300 free texts.

That sammy looks good Jim, but I think the thing that really makes the iPhone is the app store. The phone itself is good, but with all the available apps it's just amazing.

-----------

Project: Flat Pack - Coming soon
Old 16-06-09, 09:36 AM
OC3D Elite

New ARM chips headed for iPhone, Palm Pre?

Quote:
ARM, the company that designs chips for the world's smartphones, said handset makers will deliver the first models using more than one processor core next year, as high-end mobile phones begin to mimic the hardware attributes of PCs.And that means top smartphone suppliers such as Apple and Palm, which both use ARM-based processors, will likely deliver models packing at least two cores inside the main processor--referred to as an application (or applications) processor.
When this happens I may finally drag my ass into buying one
Old 16-06-09, 10:38 AM
OC3D Elite

Think I may w8 for the current contract I have to run dry. The newer iPhone is pretty special, but I'm more than happy with the 16g I have atm. Just don't find the time to sit anywhere idle and play with it enough as it is.

Hey probably be another iPhone out by then.