Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU
Closed Thread

Old 28-11-18, 03:26 PM
OC3D Elite

Do you need to connect both 8pin and 4pin EPS on Asus Rog Maximum XI Formula?

Hey guys,

I’ve got a question regarding my ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI FORMULA motherboard. Is it really necessary to have the 8 pin EPS CPU cable and the 4 pin? Or will it just be fine with the single 8 pin?... Why’s there another 4 pin for really?...

Thanks,
Dawelio

Old 28-11-18, 03:40 PM
The Webmaster

title edited because of usual vague'ness

OnTopic.. Have you RTFM'd?
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 28-11-18, 04:47 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
title edited because of usual vague'ness

OnTopic.. Have you RTFM'd?
Because of usual doucheness answer from you, the answer to your question is yes.

Of course I’ve read the f*king manual, as you plainly put it in your link, but couldn’t find a straight answer to my question. Hence me asking here... But seeing as everytime I try to ask something I can’t find an answer to on the internet, I always get an ”dummy stamp” response from you.

I ask here because this community consist of people way more experienced and knowledgeable than me. And I do have learned my lessons of doing the research I can, before asking on here.

So I’d advice you to please stop with all of the ”Was it hard to Google” it and if I’ve read the manual or not. Cause I’ve done both.

Now that that’s out of the way, anyone that could give me a clearer picture on this?...
Cause it works with the 8 pin, just not sure what the + 4 pin is really for and if it’s actually required as well or not?...
Old 28-11-18, 05:02 PM
OC3D Elite

You don't need to connect the 4pin for standard use or some overclocking, the only time you would need that is if you where to go deep subzero overclocking, way past -150c.

Just put in the 8 pin and that will suffice.
Old 28-11-18, 05:19 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark NighT View Post
You don't need to connect the 4pin for standard use or some overclocking, the only time you would need that is if you where to go deep subzero overclocking, way past -150c.

That's my understanding also but if you have a spare cable you might as well connect it - I always do.
Enthoo Elite | i9-7900X | Rampage VI Extreme | Dominator Platinum 32GB | RTX 2080 FE | 960 Pro 512GB, 840 Evo 250GB x 2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2 | PG279Q, MX27AQ | Custom Watercooling Loop + Aquaero 6 XT

Old 28-11-18, 05:21 PM
AMD Enthusiast

To be fair the manual should have that answer. You probably didn't see it. As for the common sense part, every board has an 8 and it's fine. Which should make you guess an extra 4 isn't needed. Even if you didn't realize that you wouldn't hurt anything by trying to boot without it. The system wouldn't boot if it needed it and you'd get an error telling you as such.
Old 28-11-18, 05:27 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trawetSluaP View Post
That's my understanding also but if you have a spare cable you might as well connect it - I always do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
To be fair the manual should have that answer. You probably didn't see it. As for the common sense part, every board has an 8 and it's fine. Which should make you guess an extra 4 isn't needed. Even if you didn't realize that you wouldn't hurt anything by trying to boot without it. The system wouldn't boot if it needed it and you'd get an error telling you as such.
Thanks everyone for your replies, much appreciated!

To answer you NBD, what I can find in the manual regarding the EPS connectors are the following:

Quote:
• DO NOT connect the 4-pin power plug only, the motherboard may overheat under heavy usage.
• Ensure to connect the 8-pin power plug, or connect both the 8-pin and 4-pin power plugs.
And to my understanding, that doesn’t specifically answers my question really... Just says in general.

The reason I ask is I’m about to order custom cables and wondering if I should/need to add that extra 4 pin or not.
Old 28-11-18, 05:31 PM
OC3D Elite

Depends. On my FX Crosshair it was for the memory. 8 phase for the CPU and four for the RAM.

Old 28-11-18, 05:42 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Depends. On my FX Crosshair it was for the memory. 8 phase for the CPU and four for the RAM.

The memory might have had a 4 phase, but no memory draws that amount of power, like ever to need a 4pin on its own.

Sounds like a wicked power design :P
Old 28-11-18, 05:45 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
The memory might have had a 4 phase, but no memory draws that amount of power, like ever to need a 4pin on its own.
I'm glad you have experience with my motherboard. Because I really didn't have a clue (yes that was terribly sarcastic)

http://m.hardocp.com/article/2012/11...board_review/1

The original board used an 8+2 power phase solution and the Formula-Z uses an 8+2+2 setup

Noting, the last two phases were for the memory and got their power from the 4 pin. Without which the board would not boot.

Closed Thread