Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Software Section

Old 13-02-16, 09:37 AM
OC3D Elite

Decent registry cleaner?

Is there such a thing? I suspect my SSD may be about to die but before I go nuclear I wanted to try other options. I foolishly installed a registry entry yesterday and I don't know if that has anything to do with what happened this morning but when I got up and went to boot my PC it was stuck at the Windows logo (no spinning). Several reboots later and I tried to run System Restore and whilst it failed I did get back into Windows.

I'm going to run MBAM and see if that picks anything up but I wanted to sort the registry if I could also.

Any ideas?

Old 13-02-16, 09:54 AM
Resident Newb

Ccleaner is pretty good, Free and gets updated pretty often

https://www.piriform.com/
- Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Edition - Corsair 680X Black -
Old 13-02-16, 10:01 AM
OC3D Elite

Thanks dude will check it out

Old 13-02-16, 11:49 AM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Thanks dude will check it out
You're welcome.

first time I ran Ccleaner it also recovered around 2GB of space by deleting temps files etc....

Pretty useful
- Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Edition - Corsair 680X Black -
Old 13-02-16, 11:59 AM
OC3D Elite

Tried to run some tests but due to the RAIDR being in RAID (well duh lol) there's pretty much no way to test the health of the drive/s.

So I've basically benched it ten times with ATTO and watched the performance closely, all seems fine. Same thing with Crystal, all seems fine.

Then I remembered that yesterday whilst I was sitting here browsing my cursor became very sluggish and the PC was slowing down. I rebooted and Windows installed a load of updates. The next boot after that was this morning, it wouldn't boot.

I've used the registry fix I used yesterday many times before. It's so I can play an old game in a new OS. I don't think it's that, so my money right now is on either the SSD dying (it's been fine since I got into Windows earlier and I've rebooted it three times) or Windows update installing something my PC really didn't like (which hopefully it's now seen the error of its ways and has removed said offending update).

I also decided to get Acronis 2016 and have created a backup image of the drive (around 50gb) and have created a USB stick and have booted from it and performed a dry run and it found the image and saw the RAID stripe as a drive.

So hopefully that's me about as safe as I can be right now. I did run MBAM but it only came up with one instance and it was something minor.

So fingers crossed, though knowing my luck I will need to buy a 240gb SSD right at the one part of the month when I'm the most skint.

Oh fortune, how you mock me lol.

Old 13-02-16, 12:00 PM
Bettyswollocks

Aye CCleaner is an awesome tool, what did you change in the registry? Could also give us an insight into why your not booting.
Old 13-02-16, 12:04 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Aye CCleaner is an awesome tool, what did you change in the registry? Could also give us an insight into why your not booting.
It's just a registry entry to get an old game to boot. The stupid part is I don't even have the game to hand (Gears Of War). I just clicked it without thinking, as you do

I should be more careful when cleaning out my downloads folder in future. I just thought "ooo what's that?" and double clicked it.

Everything seems fine though atm.

Old 13-02-16, 06:55 PM
AMD Enthusiast

To get rid of old updates, just hit the Windows button and in the search bar type in disk cleanup. Run that for the OS drive and after it does that hit on System files(it'll have the shield for administrative account needed) and let it run again. It should show you system files you can remove and old updates as well as any service packs that aren't needed(if on 7). Using that and CCleaner is pretty effective in my experience. After doing both just try to reboot and see if it helps