Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Customer Care Forums > Time To Live Customs

Old 19-08-15, 03:20 PM

Advice on New PC Build

Hey Guys,

I was hoping i could obtain some advice on my PC build. Firstly, will the 6700k suit the build or would it be beneficial to obtain a 5930k? I should note at this point that i will mainly use this for gaming.

Secondly, this is just a general question, but is there anything which stands out to people as not looking right?

Build:
  • Cpu: Intel 6700k
  • Mobo: Asus Maximus VIII Hero LGA1151
  • GPU: 2x EVGA GTX980ti Hybrid (I'm trying to find these cards, if i can't then ill get either the Asus or Gigabyte aftermarket versions)
  • Ram: Corsair CMK 16GX4M4A2666C
  • SSD: Samsung 850 Evo M.2 250G
  • Case: NZXT Phantom 530, or something else you guys could recommend.
  • CPU cooling: NZXT Kraken X61
  • PSU: SeaSonic Snow Silent 1050 Platinum Plus 1050w

Thanks Guys

Old 19-08-15, 03:32 PM
OC3D Crew

the 6700k will be more than enough for gaming, the only benefit from a 5930k is 2 extra cores i.e 6 core cpu but then you wont notice it in gaming.

unless your gonna be doing any type of video rendering or professional work i would save the money and stick with the 6700k.

i would suggest a bigger ssd but other than that everything looks good.
Bitfenix shinobi Limited Germany edition. 3 spectre 120 & 2 spectre 140fans. Core i5 3570k ,msi z77a g45,8gb gskill sniper,kfa2 infinity black gtx970, samsung 840 120gb ssd, samsung F1 750gb, WD cavier black 500gb, seagate barcuda 1tb,+320gb, win 7 ultimate 64, acer 23" 3dG235H microsoft CC keyboard, logitech G500 mouse
Old 19-08-15, 03:43 PM

awesome thanks, ill look into a larger SSD.
Old 19-08-15, 05:43 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Your nearly spending almost as much for a Titan X when you are getting the 980ti Hybrids. If you wanted to go AIO the Fury X's are much cheaper if you can find them in stock, but still extremely quick. I own one and it never goes above 50C during gaming and the fan no goes above 16%.. dead silent. OC's quite well considering you can't touch any volts as of yet too. However I do feel either get the Titan X or the Fury X. The 980ti isn't worth that much. You'd be better off getting a reference 980ti and putting a block on it as it would look infinitely better and stay cooler as well.
Old 20-08-15, 06:10 AM

Where i live the Hybrid is $1100 while the titan X is $1500~. I will look at the Fury X for my build, but i think they are around $1100 as well. Additionally, I'm not entirely sure how much it would cost for fully liquid cool my system but you may be on to something.

I just have another question relating to the graphics cards (assuming i don't liquid cool it myself). I have been told that the hybrid will take around a month to come in, but they have the Asus Strix 980ti available. Do you guys think i should buy the Asus or wait for the EVGA?
Old 20-08-15, 06:32 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Well are you saving up currently or you buying now? If you are saving, may as well wait. If buying now look at a Fury X/Fury or the Asus 980ti. Other 980ti's such as the MSI or Gigabyte ones are pretty good as well for noise and cooling. EVGA has the best customer support however, so if that's important to you then choose your favorite EVGA card.
Old 20-08-15, 06:38 AM
OC3D Elite

Your build looks pretty good but i would make 2 changes to it.

First i would change the AIO i couldn't recommend the X61 i had one and didn't like it i would look at the Corsair H110 GT.

The second thing is the case if you like the looks of the NZXT Phantom 530 go for it but i would look at the Fractal Design Define R5, Phanteks Enthoo Pro or even Phanteks Enthoo Luxe.

Just is just my 2 cents worth good luck with what ever you go with
Old 20-08-15, 07:10 AM

I am in a position to buy now, but there isn't any rush really. I was just wondering if there would be any general benefit from having a water cooled card such as the fury x or nvidia. Aside of the lower temps will there be any other benefit?

Ah thanks for the recommendations King of Old School, ill look into them.
Old 20-08-15, 07:18 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liveeight View Post
I am in a position to buy now, but there isn't any rush really. I was just wondering if there would be any general benefit from having a water cooled card such as the fury x or nvidia. Aside of the lower temps will there be any other benefit?
Less noise, which by itself is worth it alone. My Fury X for example only rarely reaches 22% fan speed when gaming and it's inaudible. Loudest thing in my system is my H100i's fans running at 1000rpm. A normal air cooled GPU is much louder because they are smaller and therefore need to spin faster. They are still quiet, just not as quiet as an AIO.
Old 20-08-15, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Less noise, which by itself is worth it alone. My Fury X for example only rarely reaches 22% fan speed when gaming and it's inaudible. Loudest thing in my system is my H100i's fans running at 1000rpm. A normal air cooled GPU is much louder because they are smaller and therefore need to spin faster. They are still quiet, just not as quiet as an AIO.
Ah that is a good point. Yea ill try to look into the closed loop water cooled cards then. My current system is loud which just drives me crazy. Since i have so many radiators and what not, will the case i am looking at (NZXT) or the others which have been recommended be able to fit everything in?