Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 04-12-11, 12:15 PM

Hi guys, I'm new to overclock3D so I thought I'd signup and post this here.

I'm currently looking at building a new system as mine is 3 years old and my monitor has just gone.

I do a lot of 3D and Film post production work and my current setup is an AMD Phenom II X4 3.4ghz with 8gb ram and an Ati Radeon 3870X2 (2gbram)

I've been through a lot of reviews and was wondering whether the following setup would be good for, in terms of my work, 3D, rendering, simulations, video encoding, video editing, compositing and a little gaming -

Intel Core i7-3930K 3.20GHz (Sandybridge-E) Socket LGA2011 (cpu)

Asus Rampage IV Extreme Intel X79 Motherboard (motherboard)

Gainward GeForce GTX 580 "Phantom" 3072MB GDDR5 (gpu)

Crucial RealSSD M4 128GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s SSD (HDD)

Dell Ultrasharp U3011 30" (Monitor)

I was unsure on which RAM to buy DDR3 dual or tri channel and which speed is best, but I was looking at going for 16GB.

Can anyone comment on the above setup, or make any recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for your time guys

Arvind!

Old 06-12-11, 11:00 AM

could anyone tell me if this setup is good together???

Is it very upgradeable?

It is good for 3D Post Production Work etc?

Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks, much appreciated

Arvind!
Old 06-12-11, 12:32 PM
OC3D Crew

Yea that setup would be good

But as for RAM there are quad channel kits now that u should be looking at if your going with a x79 board.

Also all that 3d work will take a good amount of hard drive space so I suggest if you have the coin to buy more or bigger SSDs (128gb wouldn't be nearly enough ) I would say for reliability get the biggest intel SSDs u can find. if you don't have the money you'll still need an extra HDD for all ur data.

I should also add that u wouldn't need that mobo, that thing was built for the hard core OCer, not just for gaming/work. But hey if money isn't an option I guess it doesn't matter.

Lastly if you want more help head on over the forum and find the build suggestion thread where u can ask questions like this and people will be more ready to answer
Main Rig: Maximus IV Extreme-Z -- GTX 580 Matrix -- 2500k -- 8GB ripjawsX -- 240GB vertex4 -- CM Silent Pro 1200W -- in a CM HAFX -- cooled by a Raystorm block -- XSPC RX360 rad -- D5 pump -- XSPC dual-bay res

Old 06-12-11, 01:11 PM

HI there mrDMxtreme, thanks for the speedy reply, nice to get another opinion.

Yeah i'm not looking at upgrading for a while so I thought I'd go all out on the motherboard.

The SSD is literally just for Windows and software installs, all my data is stored on 5 x 1TB sata HDD

I will be creating a temp folder on the SSD after all the software install to work from based on each individual project and then move the files back to the HDD sata's once a project is finished.

Also would I need quad channel RAM, is tri-channel RAM used much by software todaym wouldn't quad be overkill?

How do I move to the forum post to another area on the forums by the way?

Thanks for your help

Arvind!
Old 06-12-11, 04:58 PM
OC3D Crew

no problem, ok the reason you want to get quad channel RAM is because thats what the mobo is made to accept, like like if you had an x58 board and you put dual channel RAM ??? why would anyone do that when the board is made to take triple? same here the board takes quad so use quad. IF i'm not mistaken (which i might be) if you use the wrong type of ram, it will run as single channel memory (don't quote me on this someone else should conform but i think thats what happens)

as for moving your post you and i can't. an admin would have to do that. You can always just leave this here and go start a new one though, OR pm an admin to move it for you
Main Rig: Maximus IV Extreme-Z -- GTX 580 Matrix -- 2500k -- 8GB ripjawsX -- 240GB vertex4 -- CM Silent Pro 1200W -- in a CM HAFX -- cooled by a Raystorm block -- XSPC RX360 rad -- D5 pump -- XSPC dual-bay res

Old 06-12-11, 05:12 PM
OC3D Elite

you will want a minimum of 8GB of quad DDR3 (16gb being preferred)

what software will you be using?
Old 06-12-11, 05:54 PM

Hi guys, I see what your saying about the quad core RAM. I'll look into the cost of that, was thinking of getting 24GB, that should sort me for a good few years.

Software wise, it'll be Autodesk Maya, Adobe CS5 suite (photoshop 64bit, after effects 64bit, premiere 64bit, soundbooth, etc), ZBrush, Mari, Nuke, renderman etc

Thanks

Arvind!
Old 06-12-11, 07:02 PM
OC3D Elite

yep - with that list 16GB or 32GB would be the way to go

24/4 = 6 (they dont do 6GB ram sticks)

i would 4x4GB sticks

and then get another 4x4Gb later (if needed)
Old 07-12-11, 10:39 AM

Thats great, ok thanks for that, i'll be purchasing the bits soon.

Also will a 1100 or 1200w PSU be enough for all this?

Thanks again

Arvind!
Old 07-12-11, 10:48 AM
The Guvnor

Id also say get multiple 24" screens not a single massive screen. That will help you out more when working on projects being able to have different things open on different screens. I personally couldnt work without 3 screens now

Get along or run along. Your choice