Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 08-10-19, 11:06 AM
News Guru

Zen 4/Ryzen 5th Gen will likely require a new socket - AMD told us in 2017

Today's rumours don't include any new information.

Read more about AMD's Zen 4/Ryzen 5th Gen processors requiring a new CPU socket.

Old 08-10-19, 03:14 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Glad you called out those rumour mill sites. Not sure why anyone would even call it a rumour when AMD said it already.
Old 08-10-19, 04:24 PM

The motherboard manufacturers are having a hard enough time supporting a socket for this length of time anyway, While the ability to upgrade is awesome it can become a limiting factor. A new socket gives the designers freedom to design the processor first and also helps with connectivity.

I do wonder if AMD will stick with PGA as the pin density rises, they can only get so delicate.
|- Ryzen 5 3600 -||- Deepcool Gamaxx 400 -||- Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite -||- 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz -||- EVGA GQ650 -||- MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB -||- Zalman Z9 Plus -||- Adata SU800 1TB -||- 2TB Mechanical Storage -|
Old 08-10-19, 04:27 PM
AMD Enthusiast

I mostly just want a smaller socket! The AM4 socket is so big. If they can make it at least half the size it would really benefit the SFF market..
Old 09-10-19, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
I mostly just want a smaller socket! The AM4 socket is so big. If they can make it at least half the size it would really benefit the SFF market..
I think that you are going to be very disappointed if you are expecting the socket to get smaller with either AMD or Intel. If anything the sockets are going to get slightly larger as even more features get integrated into the CPU requiring more pins and traces.
Old 09-10-19, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu View Post
I think that you are going to be very disappointed if you are expecting the socket to get smaller with either AMD or Intel. If anything the sockets are going to get slightly larger as even more features get integrated into the CPU requiring more pins and traces.
Agreed, especially as the prevailing theories for the next few years of CPUs is that they'll start adding additional chiplets to the package, for things like HBM cache and ASICs chips.
A larger sockets might be just what AMD needs.
Old 09-10-19, 11:08 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Issue isn't with the socket itself, it's always been the retention brackets.

AM4 socket is actually smaller than LGA 1151, being 40mm x 40mm while LGA 1151 is 42.5mm x 42.5mm. But LGA 1151 mounting holes are 75mm x 75mm while AM4 is 90mm x 54mm.

If AMD make AM5 mounting square like LGA, it would solve a lot of problems. Or hell, make it the same as LGA 1151 and do away with all the cooler compatibility BS
Old 09-10-19, 06:42 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ggles1994 View Post
Issue isn't with the socket itself, it's always been the retention brackets.

AM4 socket is actually smaller than LGA 1151, being 40mm x 40mm while LGA 1151 is 42.5mm x 42.5mm. But LGA 1151 mounting holes are 75mm x 75mm while AM4 is 90mm x 54mm.

If AMD make AM5 mounting square like LGA, it would solve a lot of problems. Or hell, make it the same as LGA 1151 and do away with all the cooler compatibility BS
AM4 platform has a massive area dedicated to the CPU. I want it addressed, terminology specifics aside, I consider the socket the entire area dedicated to the CPU. Just want it far smaller.