Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat

Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS View Post
According to the Internet* open-backs are better for pinpointing sound locations in games.
Yeah in my experience having closed however where everything is focused and no outside noise I find it easier to pinpoint sound locations. I can detect them same time with either but it's just faster for me with closed.

Old Yesterday, 07:09 PM
OC3D Elite

That's why I bought a 7.1 true surround headset. I can have it very much closed, but I know exactly where everything is and where the sounds are coming from.

Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
That's why I bought a 7.1 true surround headset.
Which are these? Since I've both heard, read and seen several articles, videos on Youtube regarding "true 7.1 surround sound headsets". None of which really do what they claim...

Now I'm not saying that Linus and his team are correct, but they recently made a video regarding 7.1 "true" surround sound headsets and none of which actually surpassed their test.
Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawelio View Post
Which are these? Since I've both heard, read and seen several articles, videos on Youtube regarding "true 7.1 surround sound headsets". None of which really do what they claim...

Now I'm not saying that Linus and his team are correct, but they recently made a video regarding 7.1 "true" surround sound headsets and none of which actually surpassed their test.
This is never ending debate.

To summarise:
You can get emulated 7.1, in software or physical, with x number of dedicated drivers per ear.
However, most people claim that emulated 7.1 with 2 drivers is better because headphone ear cups are too small to fit that many high enough/big enough drivers.

Example of true 7.1 headset: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Nintendo-...ion/B00SFUMI1G

Personally I avoid these true 7.1 headsets.
Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS View Post
This is never ending debate.

To summarise:
You can get emulated 7.1, in software or physical, with x number of dedicated drivers per ear.
However, most people claim that emulated 7.1 with 2 drivers is better because headphone ear cups are too small to fit that many high enough/big enough drivers.
Yeah, this is pretty much what I meant. Only that you put it into words better than I could at the moment, hence why I never wrote anything about it in my previous post.
Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM
OC3D Elite

I used to have a 5.1 set years ago. Turtle Beach HPA2? something like that. I got them really cheap (£50 when they cost five times that much) because they were an option with Dell XPS (the really high end ones) and some company got a load.

I have the ROG Centurion now, but only because they too were cheap at £130. Well, I thought it was cheap any way. They are good, but volume is quite frankly pathetic. Positional audio is very good on them, though. Especially in FO4.

Old Today, 08:48 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Yeah I can imagine how a soundstage would help with games. Especially if they are Dolby and or have some sort of positional audio.
Must say, Dolby Atmos right now, is just absolutely beautiful. I need to invest in some high end headphones now to appreciate it more.