Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 12-09-17, 10:30 AM
OC3D Elite

Update. So yesterday I decided to test the hardware itself, after making the Oring and modding the PSU. It's been an awful long time since I used XP and I have had to learn where everything is again. I first tried to install Windows 2000 onto a 16gb CF card but then realised the card was as slow as balls. 20/25. So I gave up on that (hours wasted) and then moved to XP on the IDE drive. I installed a Dell version first (which took a while) and then realised it wouldn't take my genuine XP serial so I scrubbed that install and installed a hacked version (WTG Microsoft, forcing people to do that because you have about 200 versions of XP that all need different serials !). Any way I got that on and then I started having big issues.

The GPU driver went on and immediately dropped the res to 640x480 and 4 bit colour. That is 16 colours. Not 16 bit, but 16 lol. I tried various different drivers to no avail and almost gave up. Then I thought that instead of constantly keep installing and removing drivers I should look into the problem. Eventually I wound up looking at the monitor properties, and noticed a tab that said "Hide modes this monitor can not display". According to who? Microsoft?

I disabled that and immediately it jumped to 1024x600 (the full res of my mini test screen) and 32 bit colour.

Then I spent hours trying to find the drivers for it. Even the ones on Asus's site were wrong. So that gobbled up loads of time continually moving from PC to PC with a memory stick.

In the end I got there but I still need to locate and install the sound driver. It doesn't help that all of the mainstream web browsers no longer support XP so you can't install them, and the stock IE won't connect to any websites ffs.

I forgot what days of fighting with software and drivers were like if I am honest. It's just all so easy these days !

Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Old 12-09-17, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Update. So yesterday I decided to test the hardware itself, after making the Oring and modding the PSU. It's been an awful long time since I used XP and I have had to learn where everything is again. I first tried to install Windows 2000 onto a 16gb CF card but then realised the card was as slow as balls. 20/25. So I gave up on that (hours wasted) and then moved to XP on the IDE drive. I installed a Dell version first (which took a while) and then realised it wouldn't take my genuine XP serial so I scrubbed that install and installed a hacked version (WTG Microsoft, forcing people to do that because you have about 200 versions of XP that all need different serials !). Any way I got that on and then I started having big issues.

The GPU driver went on and immediately dropped the res to 640x480 and 4 bit colour. That is 16 colours. Not 16 bit, but 16 lol. I tried various different drivers to no avail and almost gave up. Then I thought that instead of constantly keep installing and removing drivers I should look into the problem. Eventually I wound up looking at the monitor properties, and noticed a tab that said "Hide modes this monitor can not display". According to who? Microsoft?

I disabled that and immediately it jumped to 1024x600 (the full res of my mini test screen) and 32 bit colour.

Then I spent hours trying to find the drivers for it. Even the ones on Asus's site were wrong. So that gobbled up loads of time continually moving from PC to PC with a memory stick.

In the end I got there but I still need to locate and install the sound driver. It doesn't help that all of the mainstream web browsers no longer support XP so you can't install them, and the stock IE won't connect to any websites ffs.

I forgot what days of fighting with software and drivers were like if I am honest. It's just all so easy these days !
Sounds like you had a fun day I think Firefox 52 is the last version to support XP so I'd guess you can still download and install that

Main Rig
Ryzen 1700X @ 3.8GHz | MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon | Corsair H100i v2 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED Blue 3200 MHz
XFX RX 480 8GB | 240GB Corsair Neutron GTX | 2 x 1TB HGST | Corsair RM850 CableMod | Corsair Carbide 400C
Secondary Rig (Under Repair)
Phenom II X4 955 | Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 | Cooler TBC | RAM TBC | XFX Radeon HD 6850 | SSD TBC | HDD TBC | PSU TBC | Case TBC
Old 12-09-17, 12:26 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ggles1994 View Post
Sounds like you had a fun day I think Firefox 52 is the last version to support XP so I'd guess you can still download and install that
Doesn't work. "This browser can not detect the SSE2 extension on your CPU so will not run"

Old 12-09-17, 12:28 PM
OC3D Elite

Ahh the joys of ancient hardware. Love this project man, keep hammering at it! I wonder if you'll be relegated to an ancient version of Internet Explorer. That's a fate worse than death, LOL!

Old 12-09-17, 12:44 PM
OC3D Elite

It's worse than death it simply won't load any web pages lmao.

Old 12-09-17, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Doesn't work. "This browser can not detect the SSE2 extension on your CPU so will not run"
Ah damn it, I think if you go back a few versions, like 48 or something you'll probably get it to work.

Main Rig
Ryzen 1700X @ 3.8GHz | MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon | Corsair H100i v2 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED Blue 3200 MHz
XFX RX 480 8GB | 240GB Corsair Neutron GTX | 2 x 1TB HGST | Corsair RM850 CableMod | Corsair Carbide 400C
Secondary Rig (Under Repair)
Phenom II X4 955 | Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 | Cooler TBC | RAM TBC | XFX Radeon HD 6850 | SSD TBC | HDD TBC | PSU TBC | Case TBC
Old 12-09-17, 05:52 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ggles1994 View Post
Ah damn it, I think if you go back a few versions, like 48 or something you'll probably get it to work.
A mate of mine has sent me two to try. Plus he has also sent me the missing drivers, so I think I will be OK. It's the drivers that are hard to find, there were about six versions of this mobo. This is the elite tier with the gigabit network card. The only thing it is missing is SATA itself, but that one cost a king's ransom.

Not done anything today. Mum came over earlier, then the water went off and I was messing around all day trying to get that sorted. Then I had a nap.

However, the 4gb compact flash card (with the really quick RWs) arrived and I am now reinstalling Windows again. I want it booting off of those, the 20gb hard drive whines and will really get on my nerves.

I am also looking at 17" LCD monitors (1280x1024 IIRC) and a small workstation to set it up on. I want it separate from my other rigs, plus could you imagine 1440p on a 64mb GPU? lol.

Old 12-09-17, 07:23 PM
OC3D Elite

Best update yet The block is now being machined. Here is the block being milled.

And to size.

I had a choice of chamfered or rounded edge. I chose rounded.

And the edge finish from the mill.

I will be polishing that out myself

Old 13-09-17, 10:48 AM
OC3D Elite

We are with rad !!

Yay, it's a minter

Massive thanks to Alf.

Old 13-09-17, 12:51 PM
OC3D Elite

And the rad is in