Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Graphics Cards
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 08-02-19, 03:43 PM
Highlander89's Avatar
Highlander89 Highlander89 is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Finland
Posts: 304
2070 vs. 1080TI used

Hello again guys.

My search for a decent graphics card is going in circles. I've read a lot of posts on other forums of people having really bad luck regarding their brand new 2070's. Artifacts, bluescreens and game freezes after a couple of days to a week.

I'm wondering if the new 20xx series are too "new" so they still suffer some serious bugs.

Anyway I was looking at used 1080 TI's and in my country they are more or less the same price as new 2070's.

Watercooling is the way to go. Probably 15 different types of blocks compatible with 1080TI. So far a couple 2070's that may be compatible with 2080 blocks.

I will be gaming in 2560x1440p. Got my G-sync monitor waiting for that 165hz refresh rate.

My 750w gold PSU will be sufficient I think for both GPU's.
According to some bottleneck calculator my I7 4790K CPU is a bit dated for a 1080TI, showing a 11% bottleneck. But I think I could live with that.

CPU/Mobo/RAM upgrade next year probably.


So new generation 2070 with ray tracing and a poor selection of waterblocks,
or a used 1080 TI, bit aged, but with loads of waterblock options.

Which one would you go for?

__________________
I7 4790K -- Asus Z97-AR -- GTX 770 4GB -- 16GB DDR3
840 EVO -- WD Green 3TB -- CS 750M -- NZXT 810 -- BenQ GL2450 -- Asus ROG PG279Q
XSPC Raystorm -- Heatkiller GPU X3 -- Alphacool D5 -- Noiseblocker Blacksilent -- 420 & 360 Nexxos UT60

--P180 Resurrection--
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-02-19, 04:49 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 12,064
It's not bugs it's a problem with the GDDR6. You can mitigate it, apparently, by down clocking the memory.

1080Ti is faster than the 2070 fella. The 2080 is dead even with a 1080Ti. If you are gaming at 1440p get the 1080Ti, because DLSS won't be applicable to you any way.

I have a Titan XP (so around 5% faster than the Ti) and I have it under water and it will clock to 2100mhz all day long. Max temps are in the low 40s, in a dual 240 rad loop.
__________________
"Those really high 20 series prices are just place holders"



Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-02-19, 04:56 PM
Bartacus Bartacus is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada
Posts: 2,095
I'd vote for the 1080TI too, if I was in the market. I tend to buy GPUs with 4 years in mind for upgrades, and I have a pair of 1080TIs for about a year now. I can EASILY see no need to upgrade at all in the next 3 years. Well, unless I get itchy for new toys. The adoption of this RT / DLSS stuff will be slow, and you just don't need it right now, and I'm betting it won't be very useful until the 3rd or 4th generation of it.
__________________
Guts: Ryzen 2700X / Asus CH7 Hero / 16GB FlareX 3200CL14 / Zotac GTX 1080Ti x2 / EVGA 1000W PSU / Case Labs M8
Storage: ADATA SX8200 1TB NVME / 6TB RAID0 HDD array / 4TB RAID0 SSD array
Water Cooling: Watercool HeatKiller IV blocks on CPU & GPUs / 4 360 rads + 1 240 rad / Singularity Computers reservoir / dual D5 pumps

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-02-19, 04:57 PM
looz's Avatar
looz looz is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,201
1080 Ti hands down unless you want better nvenc for streaming. I doubt DXR will be a huge bonus for this generation ever and the better Dx12 performance of Turing is negated by the raw horsepower 1080 Ti has. If it was 2080 Vs 1080 Ti at the same price it would be a bit more interesting.
__________________
i7 8700k - 2x8Gb 3400MHz CL14-14-14-34 - 2060 FE - 512GB 970 & 850 EVO
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-02-19, 01:18 AM
MacLeod's Avatar
MacLeod MacLeod is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 1,081
I tend to lean towards a new 2070 rather than a used 1080 Ti. I've had problems with used products and it seems you're more likely to be just buying somebody's problem.

The 1080 Ti is a faster card so would definitely be the pick if you could be sure it's not a problem card somebody's trying to unload

As for the bugs, I was under the impression that was 2080's and 2080 Ti's. Since the 2070's came out later it seemed like Nvidia had the bugs worked out of them. My card at least has been trouble free for the 3 months or so I've had it.

Can't help you on the overclocking as I'm not a big fan of waterblocking GPU's and honestly don't really overclock GPU's at all anymore. Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of headroom in GPU's these days for overclocking especially if you're buy one AIB.
__________________

AMD R5 1600X @ 4.0 GHz ••• Asus ROG Strix X370-F ••• Corsair H110i
Corsair 500R ••• EVGA Supernova G3 750 ••• Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB x2 ••• Nvidia RTX 2070 FE
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB ••• HP 32Q @ 1440
Logitech G-Pro TKL ••• Razer DeathAdder Elite
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-02-19, 01:23 AM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 12,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
I tend to lean towards a new 2070 rather than a used 1080 Ti. I've had problems with used products and it seems you're more likely to be just buying somebody's problem.

The 1080 Ti is a faster card so would definitely be the pick if you could be sure it's not a problem card somebody's trying to unload

As for the bugs, I was under the impression that was 2080's and 2080 Ti's. Since the 2070's came out later it seemed like Nvidia had the bugs worked out of them. My card at least has been trouble free for the 3 months or so I've had it.

Can't help you on the overclocking as I'm not a big fan of waterblocking GPU's and honestly don't really overclock GPU's at all anymore. Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of headroom in GPU's these days for overclocking especially if you're buy one AIB.
Nah it's all of them dude. It's the Micron GDDR that causes the issue.

Water cooling a GPU is the best thing you can ever do for a GPU. A GPU that runs at half the temps of another one will last longer. Heat is the biggest killer of components. Especially with tin based solder.
__________________
"Those really high 20 series prices are just place holders"



Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-02-19, 09:49 PM
Highlander89's Avatar
Highlander89 Highlander89 is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Finland
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
1080Ti is faster than the 2070 fella. The 2080 is dead even with a 1080Ti. If you are gaming at 1440p get the 1080Ti, because DLSS won't be applicable to you any way.

I have a Titan XP (so around 5% faster than the Ti) and I have it under water and it will clock to 2100mhz all day long. Max temps are in the low 40s, in a dual 240 rad loop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
I'd vote for the 1080TI too, if I was in the market. I tend to buy GPUs with 4 years in mind for upgrades, and I have a pair of 1080TIs for about a year now. I can EASILY see no need to upgrade at all in the next 3 years. Well, unless I get itchy for new toys. The adoption of this RT / DLSS stuff will be slow, and you just don't need it right now, and I'm betting it won't be very useful until the 3rd or 4th generation of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by looz View Post
1080 Ti hands down unless you want better nvenc for streaming. I doubt DXR will be a huge bonus for this generation ever and the better Dx12 performance of Turing is negated by the raw horsepower 1080 Ti has. If it was 2080 Vs 1080 Ti at the same price it would be a bit more interesting.
Alright, praise for 1080ti. I'll keep my eyes open on the market for one.
It seems like a great card. Sounds like nice clocks and temps going on there.

Yeah, my rig is now 4 years old, and at that time the 770 was dated and no flagship either. Will be raising the bar this time around. The raytracing could have a lot of potential, but probably not yet as you say.

Not doing any streaming, just gaming.... since 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
I tend to lean towards a new 2070 rather than a used 1080 Ti. I've had problems with used products and it seems you're more likely to be just buying somebody's problem.

The 1080 Ti is a faster card so would definitely be the pick if you could be sure it's not a problem card somebody's trying to unload

As for the bugs, I was under the impression that was 2080's and 2080 Ti's. Since the 2070's came out later it seemed like Nvidia had the bugs worked out of them. My card at least has been trouble free for the 3 months or so I've had it.

Can't help you on the overclocking as I'm not a big fan of waterblocking GPU's and honestly don't really overclock GPU's at all anymore. Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of headroom in GPU's these days for overclocking especially if you're buy one AIB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Nah it's all of them dude. It's the Micron GDDR that causes the issue.

Water cooling a GPU is the best thing you can ever do for a GPU. A GPU that runs at half the temps of another one will last longer. Heat is the biggest killer of components. Especially with tin based solder.
The sellers I've seen have seem like they wanted to upgrade to the 2080 TI. Not dumping faulty cards. Of course one should be cautious when not getting brand new stuff.

What's going on with the memory chips?

Agree on the putting the GPU under water. Seems like people have gotten it the wrong way round with all these AIO CPU coolers and stock coolers on GPU.
__________________
I7 4790K -- Asus Z97-AR -- GTX 770 4GB -- 16GB DDR3
840 EVO -- WD Green 3TB -- CS 750M -- NZXT 810 -- BenQ GL2450 -- Asus ROG PG279Q
XSPC Raystorm -- Heatkiller GPU X3 -- Alphacool D5 -- Noiseblocker Blacksilent -- 420 & 360 Nexxos UT60

--P180 Resurrection--
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-02-19, 01:07 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 12,064
The Micron stuff simply can not hold clocks, or, deteriorates after initial factory testing and will not run at the given speed.



Give that a watch. It's very interesting

Apparently if it's Samsung made it is OK? IDK. But it does affect all of them (maybe not the 2060).
__________________
"Those really high 20 series prices are just place holders"



Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-02-19, 02:34 PM
Highlander89's Avatar
Highlander89 Highlander89 is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Finland
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
The Micron stuff simply can not hold clocks, or, deteriorates after initial factory testing and will not run at the given speed.

Give that a watch. It's very interesting

Apparently if it's Samsung made it is OK? IDK. But it does affect all of them (maybe not the 2060).
Well that's a disappointment! Being forced to downclock brand new cards. It's supposed to be the other way around .

Even though downclocking the memory didn't impact the FPS in games that much, but still.

That's a major screw-up from the memory manufacturers. Let's hope they'll get it fixed in future generations.
__________________
I7 4790K -- Asus Z97-AR -- GTX 770 4GB -- 16GB DDR3
840 EVO -- WD Green 3TB -- CS 750M -- NZXT 810 -- BenQ GL2450 -- Asus ROG PG279Q
XSPC Raystorm -- Heatkiller GPU X3 -- Alphacool D5 -- Noiseblocker Blacksilent -- 420 & 360 Nexxos UT60

--P180 Resurrection--
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 06:47 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.