Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat

Old 28-05-20, 08:35 PM
OC3D Elite

Welp, went to install my new chain, pedals and pads and noticed the rear wheel had some roughness to it.

Not easy to tell via photo, but some particles were in there, probably sand or road dust.

Also the race isn't in ideal condition. Putting it back together regardless, it's the rear wheel so it locking up isn't a complete catastrophe (probably).

I went to the church of "the bigger the glob the better the job". As the seals let garbage in, let's just try the approach of not leaving any space to get in. Got the wheel back together, it isn't perfectly smooth but I believe it'll settle. Gonna leave rest of the installation till tomorrow.

Old 28-05-20, 10:36 PM
OC3D Elite

That is done fella. That cone nut will chew those bearings, and the race, apart in no time.

I would at least get new cone nuts, take the bearings out and check the race.

This is exactly why none of my bikes roll on loose ball bearings any more. Got sick of taking them apart and messing with them all of the time.

BTW if you over pack the grease you will cause even more damage.

Old 28-05-20, 10:43 PM
OC3D Elite

Yep... I didn't picture the races in the wheel but that's done for as well. I just need a few more K's out of this bike.

E: These bicycle bearings aren't something where excess grease has ever given me issues.
Old Yesterday, 06:14 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by looz View Post
Yep... I didn't picture the races in the wheel but that's done for as well. I just need a few more K's out of this bike.

E: These bicycle bearings aren't something where excess grease has ever given me issues.
Count yourself lucky then. Packing grease like that causes pressure and pushes the rolling elements against the race. Ends up doing more dmg especially as it then needs more work to roll the bearings through a mud of grease. Leads to higher temps and more wear.

Learned the hardway going downhill through a rock terrain to have the rear cassette hub just crumble on the inside An expensive mistake for a £450 MTB rim.
Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by looz View Post

On any bike, whether it be a BMX, kid's bike or anything else is all about the wheel set tbh. And that is where you will spend the most cash. It's perfectly possible to dump £600 into a set of BMX wheels FFS.

Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
On any bike, whether it be a BMX, kid's bike or anything else is all about the wheel set tbh. And that is where you will spend the most cash. It's perfectly possible to dump £600 into a set of BMX wheels FFS.
Been there done that. And I even had to spoke it myself. £1200 per wheel when I was competing. But it made Combat Halos strength and durability look like paper mache
Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Been there done that. And I even had to spoke it myself. £1200 per wheel when I was competing. But it made Combat Halos strength and durability look like paper mache
Yup. It's a big investment, but the most worthwhile one IMO. Headsets and BBs are all pretty much sealed now. You can get ceramic bearings but at the price of sealed units (about a fiver a go) it's not worth the outlay. They don't roll any smoother.

Thankfully I have a killer set of wheels sitting in my loft. They are on a bike, but I actually don't like that bike at all. God knows why I even built it tbh. So I am going to take them off haha.

Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM
Resident Newb

Did a playthrough of the Destroy All Humans demo on GOG, Awesome, Cannot wait for the full game !

Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Did a playthrough of the Destroy All Humans demo on GOG, Awesome, Cannot wait for the full game !

I was sold on Ich Will in the trailer
Old Today, 03:44 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
I was sold on Ich Will in the trailer
Same, LOL!

Tags
banter, conversation, entertainment, fun, jokes, safe for work, small talk