Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > YouTube Forum

Old 17-05-20, 09:56 PM
OC3D Elite

The structure of your videos will vary a lot depending on what content are you presenting. Watch videos on your subject and see what are the trends and then form your videos based on that.

Regardless of the content, there are skills you will need to have. You are a presenter. Doesn't matter what you present the concept is the same. Learning about lecturer skills is very important. You might want to see some guides for that. I paid a great deal on those when I started working as a TA at the Department of Anatomy. Some of them are:

You want to be very fluent in speaking. It doesn't matter if English is your native language or not you need to practice fluent speaking. Start with reading out loud books and any content you consume online.

You also need to remove any stutters from your speaking: uh, um, aa, or any repeatable phrases: like, you know, I think, etc. Those are very annoying.

Your thought process and the flow of your video must have a direction and consistency. Don't repeat yourself and don't go back and forth. If you are not scripting the whole video at least have some bullet points fo you can stay focused on the subject. There are also some rules about how should your content be structured.

Take Tom for example. Half the time he is not aware of the words that are coming from his mouth. But he doesn't stutter, he doesn't have annoying phrases, he doesn't repeat himself. His speaking is fluent, his thought process has some direction, and his videos are uniform.

Learn about those things in tutorials about lectures, after-dinner speaking, and similar.

Also, you need to work on the technical side of your videos. Production, transitions, framerate, camera angles, A-rolls, B-Bolls. Video editing software knowledge is a must. You can really elevate your videos with good production. It doesn't need to be Linus level but you need to have some basic equipment and skill. See some guides on that.

Start it as a side project. Enjoy what you do. Do not expect overnight success. It will take a long time. Try to constantly improve.

Old 17-05-20, 11:16 PM
OC3D Elite

If you don't have lots of money then good luck. Finding your videos will be a needle in a haystack.

That link Arne posted two years ago says it all. Basically it has become a haven for money, and Youtube want to make lots of it so they only pimp their top earners.

If I search for say, a PC part review it will only list videos with enormous view numbers. You literally have to customise the search to find anything else. On my Xbox and so on? that's not even possible.

Youtube is now a TV channel, and you have as much chance of being aired properly as you do on real TV. Thinking you will earn a living out of it is very naive.

You also need to be a shill, and you need to accept that you are literally going to have to whore yourself like in any other sector of the entertainment and or music industry. Tom stopped short of that, and that is why he is not as big as people like Jay, or others who will say or do anything (including all of their over priced crap merch) to get views.

You also need to steal all of your ideas from all of the other "top bods" because that is all they do. I subscribed to quite a few of them, only to find they all make the same f*****g videos over and over on the same day. Whenever something releases (like the recent Ryzen budget CPUs) you end up getting bombed from the same 10 guys.

Also, don't think it will be easy or you will ever earn easy money on there. That's a pipe dream for 99% of people. Same people who think they can sing and go on the Xfactor to get laughed at.

Old 18-05-20, 10:39 AM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
You also need to steal all of your ideas from all of the other "top bods" because that is all they do. I subscribed to quite a few of them, only to find they all make the same f*****g videos over and over on the same day. Whenever something releases (like the recent Ryzen budget CPUs) you end up getting bombed from the same 10 guys.

Thats just product launches.... Wednesday 2pm will be another day like that sadly.....

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 18-05-20, 12:39 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
Thats just product launches.... Wednesday 2pm will be another day like that sadly.....
Good I'll watch yours then !

Old 18-05-20, 02:42 PM
OC3D Elite

One of YouTube algorithim's tendencies is pretty damaging in my opinion, basically they give high priority to channels which upload regularly. In many areas this inevitably leads to forced ideas and lower quality content just to stay on top of such schedule. This also forces less regularly uploading channels to other revenue streams, especially patreon.
Look at channels like Bad Obsession Motorsport, Clickspring and This Old Tony. All their videos are novel and making a video is clearly just something they do in addition to their project - they haven't started projects they wouldn't otherwise have to stay favoured by YouTube's trending algorithm.
Though there certainly are large channels with irregular uploading schedules like Colin Furze and Primitive Technology. I think Furze's success is due to starting early and Primitive Technology is just a well-executed fairly niche topic which is interesting to follow but very difficult to plan and do yourself.
Old 18-05-20, 03:57 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
It is not like that Tom at all. You can actually see them ripping off one another. If let's say Hardware Unboxed releases some video that attracts a lot of attention. Like with AMD drivers. You can actually see other similar sites just popping videos about the same subject in the next day or two. Just bodged talking head videos that you can do in the amount of time since the original release. It is so transparent.
Old 18-05-20, 04:03 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
It is not like that Tom at all. You can actually see them ripping off one another. If let's say Hardware Unboxed releases some video that attracts a lot of attention. Like with AMD drivers. You can actually see other similar sites just popping videos about the same subject in the next day or two. Just bodged talking head videos that you can do in the amount of time since the original release. It is so transparent.
Yeah this. I should have clarified Tom that wasn't a dig. Like, one of them will have an idea (not reviews) and then the others all do the same bloody thing.

They really are that low on ideas ffs.

And yeah the algorithm sucks. Thankfully I did find Craft Computing though, and he does some really good videos about using old server gear etc. It's all about money though. Once you make it into the top money earners they pimp the crap out of them.

Tags
help needed, ideas, suggestions, youtube