Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 10-01-19, 07:29 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ1mech View Post
With AMDs "next gen" arch and Intel coming into the scene next year he is going to be facing tough times ahead.

Yep and considering this is basically just a Vega refresh I'd say up to 45% faster performance is damn good all things considered.

Old 10-01-19, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

RTX is a hardware implementation of an open industry standard API (DXR), games that use it shouldn't need much more vendor specific support beyond the unique codepaths already required by DX12 in order to support other hardware implementations of this industry standard. DXR will probably end up being a reasonable thing for NVidia to have bet on, it's got a lot of support from engine & game developers, the problem for NVidia is none of them seem to be rushing to get the software out anytime soon(Likely because they want to launch with cross-vendor implementations, AMDs stated they're already deep into DXR software implementation work with devs), so now it's technically been out for several months and nothing really supports it, by the time games reach double digits it might not be an NVidia exclusive feature for much longer, and suddenly NVidia could miss their chance to cash in on the "exclusivity". Therefore, pressuring buyers to get in early is almost a necessity for Turings success if they think Navi will bring DXR support, as with both a node disadvantage and no major exclusive technology the RTX cards wouldn't have much to stand on much longer.

Check out my latest piece of commissioned work: https://twitter.com/smart_tilt
Old 10-01-19, 07:56 PM

:)

This surely proves he is a toxic gamer irl
Old 10-01-19, 08:00 PM
AMD Enthusiast

I'll take some credit for posting this in quick news

I mean I believe he did it to poke fun at his niece Lisa but way he did made him sound like an a hole. Little to far. I don't care personally but doesn't seem professional.
He could have said I believe there 7nm Vega is still not as good as our 2080 and I am confident we deliver a better product.
Old 10-01-19, 09:09 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Oh I do enjoy these gloves off back and forth blows between Teams Red & Green, we need this more often.
I would like to see this kindergarten type of behaviour be eradicated completely. It's pathetic, in my opinion.
Old 10-01-19, 09:17 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheF34RChannel View Post
I would like to see this kindergarten type of behaviour be eradicated completely. It's pathetic, in my opinion.
Yeah I don't like it either. We always made fun of AMD for doing stupid stuff we should do the same for Nvidia
Old 10-01-19, 09:33 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Yeah I don't like it either. We always made fun of AMD for doing stupid stuff we should do the same for Nvidia

AMD used to do it out of fun and no one really took it seriously as it was funny but Jensen seems to be doing it out of spite, He doesn't like competition.
Old 10-01-19, 09:39 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
AMD used to do it out of fun and no one really took it seriously as it was funny but Jensen seems to be doing it out of spite, He doesn't like competition.
I remember it being both tbh
Old 10-01-19, 09:57 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
One thing I will say is that his mouth is writing cheques he can't cash. What I mean is that basically he is at the mercy of game devs and they are all coding for.... AMD based consoles.

So he can say WTF he likes but if he doesn't get support he will wind up with egg on his face.

And let's face it, most of his company's previous efforts have fallen flat. SLi, 3DVision etc. All lacked support. So if there are hardly any RTX games then his cards will be an epic waste of money.
I agree. The console market is the focal point for the majority of game developers so game support for ray tracing is going to be very limited unless/until the ability to use it comes to consoles, the next-gen of which will be AMD based anyway with PS5 and XBox*insert random because their nomenclature makes no sense*.

I have no doubt that AMD will join the RT party soon enough just for the marketing buzzwords, but still personally think it's going to be a niche "feature" for while.

Ryzen 5 2600X -- EVGA GTX 1070 SC -- 16GB TeamGroup Dark Pro 3200mhz DDR4
MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon -- Corsair Force MP300 240GB
Seasonic Focus Gold 750 -- Phanteks P350X

Old 10-01-19, 10:14 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
RTX is a hardware implementation of an open industry standard API (DXR), games that use it shouldn't need much more vendor specific support beyond the unique codepaths already required by DX12 in order to support other hardware implementations of this industry standard. DXR will probably end up being a reasonable thing for NVidia to have bet on, it's got a lot of support from engine & game developers, the problem for NVidia is none of them seem to be rushing to get the software out anytime soon(Likely because they want to launch with cross-vendor implementations, AMDs stated they're already deep into DXR software implementation work with devs), so now it's technically been out for several months and nothing really supports it, by the time games reach double digits it might not be an NVidia exclusive feature for much longer, and suddenly NVidia could miss their chance to cash in on the "exclusivity". Therefore, pressuring buyers to get in early is almost a necessity for Turings success if they think Navi will bring DXR support, as with both a node disadvantage and no major exclusive technology the RTX cards wouldn't have much to stand on much longer.
It still needs to be done dude. IE, a developer needs to spend the time it takes to make their game work with RT. If most of your audience (two major consoles and regular PC users) don't use it would you put the funding into it? because I wouldn't, and going from the past 20 years it's quite clear most devs wouldn't either.

Like, some games just did not work in SLi or Crossfire (mostly because of no AFR support at all) and there was little to nothing you could do about it. As soon as DX12 drops we've seen pretty much no games support either technology at all. Maybe because of like you said the other day (that people are now obsessed with frame times etc) or because game devs simply could not be bothered.

I mean, you would really have to care about Nvidia using PC gamers to spend that sort of a budget on coding it in wouldn't you? and then you appeal to a tiny segment of the gaming community because the rest simply can't use it. And it's the same for DLSS. That is not only Nvidia specific, but Nvidia 20 series specific. So once again it needs support.

At least AMD have both consoles under their belt (a much higher prize than a single range of GPUs on the PC) and if they use their brains and put their own version of RT into consoles and thus making it 0 extra work for it to work on their GPUs then they will definitely be in front when it comes to support.

Nvidia either have to woo game devs into doing it, or, have to make it financially worthwhile. I mean, it's obvious they have the cash to woo with, but will they? it's not looking so promising right now.

We'll see I guess. Impossible to know what either company will do over the next few years.