Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 21-12-17, 11:39 AM
News Guru

Apple intentionally slow down their old phones to increase their battery life

Over time, iPhone batteries become unable to achieve peak voltages, causing shutdown issues. Apple decided to downclock phones with old batteries to fix the problem.

Read more about Apple slowing down iPhones with older batteries.

Old 21-12-17, 12:54 PM

It wouldn't be that much of a problem if they displayed a message to tell the user what is going on. Sure they should put in better batteries, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. All they would need to say is "your battery is degraded, as a result performance may be affected, please consider replacing your battery"
Old 21-12-17, 01:34 PM
born in a.....

Wouldn't be surprised if its the case for every smart phone out there, rather than exclusively an Apple issue. Especially considering how few flagship phones have easily replaceable batteries nowadays.

Perhaps a turbo/performance mode button would be a good idea? I had a performance mode on my old Xioami phone and that was really useful when I needed a burst of speed for things like Google Carboard apps.
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904| 970 EVO 500GB m.2|512GB evo 840| Crucial MX 500 500GB|ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG
Old 21-12-17, 05:37 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Good ol' reliable Apple.
Old 21-12-17, 07:11 PM
OC3D Elite

I really don't know what the fuss is all about. If it delivers good experience that is all that matters. I don't have a flagship phone, and i have never thought i really need more performance from my phone. From my PC yes. You always need more performance from your PC. There is no such thing as overkill. But phone... Cmon... As long as it can browse web without lag, and switch between apps smoothly it is perfect. Battery life is more important that overhead performance.
Old 21-12-17, 07:25 PM
OC3D Elite

I don't actually believe a word of it.
We've known this for years, apple has always denied it and now it's been proven they have had to find away to cover it up.
Its a way of pushing you to buy a new phone.
Old 21-12-17, 07:29 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonking View Post
I don't actually believe a word of it.
We've known this for years, apple has always denied it and now it's been proven they have had to find away to cover it up.
Its a way of pushing you to buy a new phone.
So are they faking the shutdown issues as well?

Apple are pretty good for people with their older phones actually. They fix security issues even for old models, while Android manufacturers are quite terrible at that. Case in point, my Huawei, released in 2015, which is one of the most popular phones over here, hasn't had a single update in more than half a year. That means that this phone has, among other things, the recent WLAN handshake vulnerability rendering WPA2 useless with a trivial exploit.
Old 21-12-17, 07:38 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by looz View Post

Apple are pretty good for people with their older phones actually. They fix security issues even for old models, while Android manufacturers are quite terrible at that. Case in point, my Huawei, released in 2015, which is one of the most popular phones over here, hasn't had a single update in more than half a year. That means that this phone has, among other things, the recent WLAN handshake vulnerability rendering WPA2 useless with a trivial exploit.
Update availability depends on the manufacturer, and how hight the phone ladder you go. Also it depends on region you are in. I've got mine update 4 months after the official release.
Old 22-12-17, 01:22 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by looz View Post

That's not Android's fault. That's your phone company.

My Nexus gets updates every month.

As for Apple doing this it's pretty sad. They should just replace the phone battery. Not make the phone a worse experience than it already is