Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Sound Cards & Speakers

Old 22-03-13, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Send a message via Skype™ to CalVic
SP2500 Volume Tip/Trick

Heya All,

Just wanted to share with you about the SnR limitations on the Corsair SP2500. Most high end sound cards can output a very high SnR of up to 124dB. The Corsair cannot handle such a high input and thus the inbuilt DSP will compress the signal loosing fidelity.

The Fix?

Simply turn the volume down in windows to around 50 to 65%. You shouldn't loose dynamic range with higher end cards.

Hope this helps! and should bring the best out of the SP2500 System

EAT-SLEEP-OVERCLOCK
Old 30-03-13, 04:39 AM

I noticed that with my Mac Mini and custom rig, it crunches the top end out making them sound very compressed and middy.

They sound beautiful at 60%ish with a decent sound card
Old 30-03-13, 09:11 PM

Send a message via ICQ to J0s3e
I'm about to receive mine on Tuesday, can't wait! Thanks for the tip as well! Hope I am going to enjoy some great sound with my Asus Xonar XD!
Old 30-03-13, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Send a message via Skype™ to CalVic
Also, Breaking in the speakers takes time too! I'd suggest not blasting the speakers straight away but ease them in.

The sound quality of these are amazing. Put on the Tron legacy sound track (FLAC or WAV) and it'll send shivers down your spine

Also make sure you set your soundcard for 24Bit / 192kHz

EAT-SLEEP-OVERCLOCK
Old 22-04-13, 08:13 PM

Hey, sorry to bump an old post however I just wanted to say thanks for this amazing tip! It's saved me a lot of time and diagnostics as to why I wasn't getting the full bass expected But now these fixes have made it somewhat better.

I'm quite an audiophile myself, and I'm trying to figure out how to get the best out of these speakers. After around 70% or so it seems to lose it's 'oomph' and the high-pitched sounds are much louder. Anyone recommend anything for this at all just to suggest what I can do? Any help appreciated

Many thanks!
Old 22-04-13, 09:05 PM

Definitelly get yourself a gold plated cable, just for the peace of mind And then just follow the tips here. Also, play with the presets and find one that suits you the best - Classical for me. These speakers are amazing
Old 22-04-13, 11:22 PM

Thanks a lot! My 3.5mm isn't gold plated so I'll go ahead and get myself some gold plates ones. Do you think the ones on eBay for cheap would be any good, they say there are gold plated?

Also, I'm using my mobo's sound card. I have however tried through my Synth's card (Roland Fantom G8) which acts as a USB sound card, which I also have connected to these speakers in AUX2. Yet it still has the strange bass issue.

Could just be me having too high expectations however But do you, or anyone else who owns these speakers, have this issue where the bass seems to get quieter on around 80% or more?
Old 23-04-13, 08:52 AM

The ones from eBay for around 2.99 are perfectly fine.
I don't know why but when I compared AUX vs. phono I found AUX to have somewhat different sound... Ignore AUX and connect them with 3.5 jack / 2x Phono.
Also, these speakers deserve better than on-board mobo.. I'd expect a proper soundcard in an audiophile's rig the on'board chip is going to cause distortions with higher volumes, and I couldn't stand the whizzing noises whenever I moved my mouse... Got myself Asus Xonar DX/XD couple of years ago and will be using it until it breaks and then probably replace with another one.
Old 23-04-13, 11:11 AM

Well a moderator actually edited my post there, but either way I got some AUX ones from eBay (gold plated), I'm not too sure where I'd find Phono ones that would fit the SP2500 system without using converters.

Either way I'm getting a Asus Xonar DX/XD/A PCi-E 7.1 Channel Audio Card soon. Would that do the trick too?