Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Software Section > OS & Apps

Old 28-12-11, 02:19 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to alienware
The gods came down and answered my prayers !

Ios 5.0.1 has finally been jailbroken untethered

I've been waiting ages to do this. Basically Sky took the wee when I tried to add sports (would've cost me £35 a month and broke the deal we got) so a mate of mine charges me £15 a month to watch his Sky Go !. Thing is, Sky Go ! on a PC is utter parp because it relies on Silverlight, so you constantly get Error C : 1501 and there's no fixing it. And that error usually waits until you're right into a game of footy before throwing up and ruining the game

Any way, Sky Go ! on Ipad is utterly superb. But for four months I've had to watch footy games small 'cos Apple are R-tards and disabled the mirror output through their own cable (that cost me £30 I may add !).

With Cydia on there is a mirroring app that costs nothing, and mirrors everything on the Ipad to the TV out. Brilliant !

Now to install some emulators

Old 28-12-11, 02:51 PM

Thanks for the heads up, this only works on non-A5 devices so not for iPad 2 or 4S, right? I want mirroring on my iPad 1 for use with an Apple TV so looks like I'll be jailbreaking. I'm also doing a pilot at work to stream Powerpoint and other documents to Apple TV in conference rooms. It's a super cheap way to do wireless presentations on HDTVs and projectors. Most of our iPads here though are the originals so mirroring is disabled. Don't know how I feel about jailbreaking production iPads.

Old 28-12-11, 03:18 PM
Banned

Yup you got it.. No good for Ipad2 or 4S.

The Jailbreak is so easy dude. Just back it up first and then you double click an exe. It runs you through pressing the power button for a given time, then the center button, then it simply does the rest for you.

Boot in, let Cydia connect and that's about it.
Old 28-12-11, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0mB13 View Post

Yup you got it.. No good for Ipad2 or 4S.

The Jailbreak is so easy dude. Just back it up first and then you double click an exe. It runs you through pressing the power button for a given time, then the center button, then it simply does the rest for you.

Boot in, let Cydia connect and that's about it.
When I had my first iPhone I ran it jailbroken just because the features were so limited (iPhone 2G). I never did feel the need to jailbreak my iPhone 4 or 4S, but I am feeling the need to jailbreak the iPad 1. I love Apple's devices, but I hate it when they put an artificial block on something to force you to upgrade.

Old 28-12-11, 03:42 PM
Banned

Yeah I had an Android Honeycomb tablet before I got mine.

It was O.K, Android was fun though (more open market for third party apps).

Thing was after 6 days I picked it up and went to walk away with it, forgetting it was plugged into the charger. The socket held and I dropped it, right onto the charger plug which snapped and shattered the charging socket. Tried to fix it, but seems the damage was more widespread than I thought because it just locked at the Android logo.

Good thing it was a cheap Hannspree Hannspad that I managed to hack really, only lost £130 could have been much worse !

I did look around at other tablets (notably the Galaxy and Xoom) but they were pants. Suffered the same issue that annoyed me with other pads, which was that you can see a tiny grid of pixels that shimmer (either pink or grey). It's how the screens work but my eagle eyes were on it and it was annoying.

Plus the Xoom weighs about two tons.

In the end I found my Ipad on Ebuyer for £296 brand new delivered. Wasn't worth paying £104 for an extra core and some memory really, as I only use it for a few tasks (wouldn't be without it though).

Mate in the USA sent me an Otterbox for Christmas, so it's safe and sound

But yeah, it's all about the screen man. It destroys any Android screen I have seen.