Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 16-08-17, 10:43 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS View Post
There are many other reasons besides not caring. Game developers have very finite budgets and making sure an engine can run at any frame rate may considered to be over engineered. In an ideal every game developer would 100% want their engine to cope with any frame rate but it is not always feasible due to project constraints.
I'm pretty sure Skyrim didn't have that tight of a budget. And doesn't this just shift the blame to whoever handles the budget?

Old 16-08-17, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekaX View Post
I'm pretty sure Skyrim didn't have that tight of a budget. And doesn't this just shift the blame to whoever handles the budget?
How do you know though. If the budget is say $20m but it is spread across tonnes of resources/studios, it still might have a small tech budget. But yes it kind of shifts the blame to management but if they don't have the money to make it happen properly they should scale it back. However, consumers expect everything these days so you can't win.
Old 16-08-17, 12:30 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS View Post
How do you know though. If the budget is say $20m but it is spread across tonnes of resources/studios, it still might have a small tech budget. But yes it kind of shifts the blame to management but if they don't have the money to make it happen properly they should scale it back. However, consumers expect everything these days so you can't win.
Idk man, seems to me like skimping out in the wrong area. If the game doesn't handle high framerates well (below the threshold you mentioned where the game draws frames quicker than the gamelogic can update) odds are you'll have issues at varying framerates as well.
Old 16-08-17, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Idk man, seems to me like skimping out in the wrong area. If the game doesn't handle high framerates well (below the threshold you mentioned where the game draws frames quicker than the gamelogic can update) odds are you'll have issues at varying framerates as well.
Well it depends. Engines that use variable timesteps will naturally scale better with varying frame rates but can suffer unstable simulation. Engines that use fixed step have rock solid simulations but can struggle to run at very high frame rates if their simulation is expensive. You can have a hybrid of both where the physics for example is fixed step but rest of the logic is variable. It definitely depends on the game to determine what would work best.
Old 16-08-17, 02:32 PM
Bettyswollocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb67 View Post
Hehehehe, the STALKER benchmark states that I probably could play it at 480FPS at the lower resolution.

You'll still get prefetch stutter whilst running though. Oh I miss that game.
Old 16-08-17, 10:05 PM
OC3D Elite

Oh man, STALKER! I almost forgot about that game. Some of the best atmosphere and ambiance ever in a game. I may play that tonight just for old times sake.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X ••• Asus ROG Strix X370-F ••• Corsair H110i
Corsair 500R ••• EVGA Supernova G3 750 ••• Corsair Vengeance 32GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB x2 ••• Nvidia RTX 2070 FE
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB ••• Acer Predator XB272 @ 240 Hz
Logitech G Pro X TKL ••• Logitech G Pro mouse
Old 16-08-17, 11:03 PM
OC3D Elite

@ 144Hz - I'm good ha ha

Stalker - I lived and breathes the series. Top atmosphere; so grim and hopeless. You all remember that high pitched sound that one creature made?

Old 16-08-17, 11:20 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
While I prefer higher frame rates since making the jump to a 144Hz+ monitor, Most games are made with the lowest common denominator in mind i.e consoles, And consoles generally target 30FPS so it's not really surprising that a lot of game engines have problems with high FPS.
Old 16-08-17, 11:22 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
While I prefer higher frame rates since making the jump to a 144Hz+ monitor, Most games are made with the lowest common denominator in mind i.e consoles, And consoles generally target 30FPS so it's not really surprising that a lot of game engines have problems with high FPS.
Oh I hope this really doesn't turn into a console is holding gaming back thread....
Old 16-08-17, 11:23 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Oh I hope this really doesn't turn into a console is holding gaming back thread....
Nah I doubt it, If anything the companies making said tech are holding back gaming, The faster we get small form factor fast tech the better for all of us.