Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 15-05-17, 10:47 AM
News Guru

Microsoft confirms that "WannaCrypt" uses an NSA exploit

Microsoft has confirmed that "WannaCrypt" uses an NSA exploit, calling once again for a "Digital Geneva Convention" to prevent nation states from stockpiling such vulnerabilities for future use.

Read more on Microsoft's confirmation that "WannaCrypt" uses an NSA exploit.

Old 15-05-17, 12:14 PM
OC3D Elite

That's some nasty business man. Made sure all my stuff was up to date after reading about that this morning.

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 15-05-17, 12:25 PM
born in a.....

It technically uses two exploits that had been held by the NSA a while ago before they got hacked. The way it spread (NSA's nickname for it is 'EternalBlue') only worked if the target machine hadn't had March's patches installed. If it detects it, it will also make use of the other ex-NSA exploit, codename 'DOUBLEPULSAR' if that hasn't already been disabled as well.

Sadly our Governments will always keep any exploit they find hidden as they won't be affected by this.
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904| 970 EVO 500GB m.2|512GB evo 840| Crucial MX 500 500GB|ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG
Old 15-05-17, 01:32 PM
OC3D Elite

Linux is the solution. I am not well informed on this subject so i will ask. Why aren't hospitals, and businesses using Linux instead of Windows? It is rock solid, and free.
Old 15-05-17, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
Linux is the solution. I am not well informed on this subject so i will ask. Why aren't hospitals, and businesses using Linux instead of Windows? It is rock solid, and free.
Sigh....simple answer in my opinion? Because nurses/doctors/secretaries/etc simply WONT learn the new system. Now, one could install a version of linux that looks and acts significantly like windows (its out there can't recall the name) and that would work wonderfully.

Longer answer? Governments / faculties / schools / medical buildings / don't have the time or money to do retraining on employees on how the new OS would operate. Never mind the fact that these same places ONLY use it for typing documents / patient information / google things / etc...nothing super intensive or 'power user' type things.

So there is no reason these places shouldn't be using either mac OSX or a version of Linux, it's just the fact that they don't care because everything in government takes forever and a year to get going. That would be the biggest reason why (again my opinion is all) because lets all face it, as far as exploiting is concerned windows is the most targeted OS. Sure you CAN target Macs or Linux distros....but no one does. Why? its harder, more time consuming, often enough not enough to gain quickly and easily, and generally you could probably have 3-5 windows machines compromised before 1 linux/mac machine. So again, time and effort vs reward chances....reward chances win everytime so windows will continue to be targeted over the other OSes.

This is all just my two cents is all, take it for what it is.
Old 15-05-17, 03:50 PM

Over the weekend i was in contact with a couple of IT project managers who work for the NHS who have been pretty badly effected by 'wannacrypt'. They just were not prepared for any attack of this kind and are looking at weeks and possibly months of recovery time.

Most companies just dont want to spend the money on patching systems and are often 6 months or longer behind on critical microsoft patching of vulnerabilities.

Linux like all other OS's is vulnerable to exploits and there have been a lot of high profile potential exploits that havent been utilized. Hospitals dont use linux because a lot of the mission critical software they use is coded in windows only. There is also the training element which is cost prohibitive to most organizations.

Its scary that we are living in a time where the security services are stockpiling vulnerabilities and buying a lot of vulnerabilities from very questionable sources.
Old 15-05-17, 05:05 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
It technically uses two exploits that had been held by the NSA a while ago before they got hacked. The way it spread (NSA's nickname for it is 'EternalBlue') only worked if the target machine hadn't had March's patches installed. If it detects it, it will also make use of the other ex-NSA exploit, codename 'DOUBLEPULSAR' if that hasn't already been disabled as well.

Sadly our Governments will always keep any exploit they find hidden as they won't be affected by this.
Good to see you back
Old 15-05-17, 09:25 PM
born in a.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Good to see you back
Thanks

Sadly I'm mostly too busy these days to post (or at least at the moment). My new-ish job is a whole lot more demanding.
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904| 970 EVO 500GB m.2|512GB evo 840| Crucial MX 500 500GB|ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG
Old 15-05-17, 09:33 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
Thanks

Sadly I'm mostly too busy these days to post (or at least at the moment). My new-ish job is a whole lot more demanding.
Well gotta pay bills, I don't blame yeah
Old 16-05-17, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
Linux is only "rock solid" because so few people use it. The same with apple. If the usage numbers were switched with Linux being at the top and Windows at the bottom then Linux would be were Windows is. Completely insecure and riddled with Virus'.

Why code something that will infect 100 people when you can spend the same amount of time coding that will effect 1 million people.

Also, going to Linux really is not up to the hospitals.
Back when they were starting to use computers Linux was not a real option. Windows was their only option. So when they started buying other machines (MRI's, blood testers, bespoke software....) it was all coded for XP only.
To move all of that software over you'll have to pay each and every company to remake each piece of software then pay for the licence for each system.
It would take many years and billions of £'s.