Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 16-03-20, 01:09 PM
News Guru

Microsoft reveals crazy powerful Xbox Series X's specifications

This is madness!

Read more about Microsoft's full Xbox Series X hardware specs.

Old 16-03-20, 01:38 PM
Resident Newb

All well and good but they need exclusives and not ones like Ori and the Blind Forest, While good they need games on the same level as Spiderman, God of War etc...

Old 16-03-20, 01:48 PM
OC3D Elite

I think exclusives are way less important when you have a gaming unit as powerful as that.

Yeah, they're nice, but it's getting to a point where I just want performance. The games will come, exclusive or not.

Old 16-03-20, 02:01 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
I think exclusives are way less important when you have a gaming unit as powerful as that.

Yeah, they're nice, but it's getting to a point where I just want performance. The games will come, exclusive or not.

If MS hope to do better than Sony next gen then they need exclusives like Sony has with Uncharted, Spiderman, God of War etc... those are what will sell these consoles especially considering the PS5 and XBSX are going to have nigh on identical specs.

Old 16-03-20, 02:08 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
It's not like the PS5 won't be powerful enough to run next-gen games. And if you add PS5 exclusives into the mix, you have to wonder what on Earth is Microsoft thinking?
Old 16-03-20, 02:18 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprovizoR View Post
It's not like the PS5 won't be powerful enough to run next-gen games. And if you add PS5 exclusives into the mix, you have to wonder what on Earth is Microsoft thinking?
I think we already know what Microsoft was thinking. That's why they have bought so many studios over the past number of years.

Microsoft has also been working on the value side of the equation with Xbox Game Pass, something which Sony has no response to at this time.

From what I can see, Microsoft has done a lot of work on the hardware/software side that I think Sony will lack. Microsoft has clearly put a lot of effort into this system with DXR, DirectML and DirectStorage.
Old 16-03-20, 02:20 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprovizoR View Post
TBH the Xbox is a much better platform any way. Case in point when I game I game on the XB1X. I only use my PS Pro for exclusives. Not because it's less powerful, but because the front end and GUI leave a lot to be desired. I can not rely on it as a media platform as tons of TV apps and ETC simply don't exist.

That's why I have two XB1X. One here, and one at mum's which I use for everything and soon to be TV because I bought the tuner dongle.

So when considering which of the next gen I will be strongly basing it on that, rather than sheer power. PS may have exclusives but tbh I don't really play on them much. I just play stuff that is co op and etc.

As we all know around here, hardware is absolutely nothing without the software. I guess it took me 40 years of buying crap products that were amazing, yet the software was poo. It's also what every one struggles with. Every one. AMD, Nvidia, Asus, Corsair, NZXT and so on. If the software is pony your hardware won't work.

It's not all been smooth sailing on the XB1X. At one point my Scorpio bricked itself because it was on an old version of the OS that like Windows 10 can not update itself. You need to wipe the console yourself and reinstall which I couldn't be arsed to learn so I simply sent it back for repair.

Old 16-03-20, 03:30 PM
AMD Enthusiast

WYP please stop adding to the misconception that the GPU is 2x as powerful as One X. 12 TFLOPS is not 2x as powerful as 6 TFLOPS. These are different architectures and not comparable. We've been through this already and there has also been a few tech outlets actually explaining why this is incorrect. Especially given the AMD news on RDNA2 these architectures are quiet different.

Other than that this will be an expensive console. In regards to memory they better not reserve the slower 6GB portion for the OS. That's a big waste. They should only at max reserve 4GB. It's a console the OS shouldn't be requiring much. Gaming first!
Old 16-03-20, 03:45 PM
OC3D Elite

https://youtu.be/7Fjn4GRw8qE

Only fear I really had was weird proprietary ssds and it seems I wasn't wrong.

That kinda bums, but I'll wait until I see the prices first.

Old 16-03-20, 03:55 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
WYP please stop adding to the misconception that the GPU is 2x as powerful as One X. 12 TFLOPS is not 2x as powerful as 6 TFLOPS. These are different architectures and not comparable. We've been through this already and there has also been a few tech outlets actually explaining why this is incorrect. Especially given the AMD news on RDNA2 these architectures are quiet different.

Other than that this will be an expensive console. In regards to memory they better not reserve the slower 6GB portion for the OS. That's a big waste. They should only at max reserve 4GB. It's a console the OS shouldn't be requiring much. Gaming first!
Quote:
On the graphics side, we have an AMD RDNA 2 based graphics component that offers 12 TFLOPs of compute performance, packing a 2x improvement over the Xbox One X. Even better, AMD's latest graphics architecture deliver more real-world gaming performance per FLOP of raw computational power, making the performance improvement much higher than the TFLOPs numbers imply. On top of this, Microsoft has confirmed hardware support for MESH Shaders, DirectML, DXR raytracing and Variable Rate Shading.
Tell me where I say that this Xbox Series X is "2x as powerful as One X". I have said that it offers a 2x boost in compute performance (or are you going to tell me that 12 isn't 2x higher than 6?) and then say that the new architecture gets more performance per flop.

Perhaps I need a "what is a teraflop" article to link to at times like this, but in layman's terms, it has 2x the teraflops and gets more performance out of its Teraflops. It isn't incorrect, and it is a specification that Microsoft supplied and has referenced directly on several occasions.

Microsoft has also confirmed that the 6GB of memory isn't for the OS. The design of the Xbox series X is supposed to maximise performance while limiting production costs. Developers won't see which bank of memory is used and it will act as a unified whole. I'm can't remember off the top of my head how much memory is used for the OS.