Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Liquid Cooling

Old 07-02-18, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

I did look at cheaper options when I did my loop, I know you pay the tax for having ek etc branded parts but I thought the peace of mind and a reasonable rma structure was worth the extra cost

Old 07-02-18, 12:03 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
didnt mean yours. I meant the pumps the OP saw on Amazon. Just becareful if you intend to hide yours in a box. pumps product heat after all.
Yeah those are pretty awful. Plastic barbs FFS just asking to crack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie long View Post
I did look at cheaper options when I did my loop, I know you pay the tax for having ek etc branded parts but I thought the peace of mind and a reasonable rma structure was worth the extra cost
I wouldn't use cheap fittings. That is where you will get all of your leaks. I had some so bad that they needed doing up with spanners. Now granted they did seal but I lost more skin on those than anything else. It was also a sod when you needed to turn with them, as the spanners always made the hose rotate inside the fitting throwing everything off.

When OCUK had a deal on chainguns I bought loads. £7.99 for a pack of four !

The pump though? to be honest I have two Alphacool mini pumps and I worry about them far more than my Chinese pumps. Reason being they are thin, cheaply made and look crap. But worse the wires of one have come off twice. It's just a poor design tbh.

Old 07-02-18, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

These pump / res units are never going near my actual rig as I said. But I have a spare 2500K, 200x200 rad and an alphacool CPU block. I want to try really push this old CPU as far as I can until it dies. See what maximum I can get CPU-Z to validate at

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
I wouldn't use cheap fittings. That is where you will get all of your leaks. I had some so bad that they needed doing up with spanners. Now granted they did seal but I lost more skin on those than anything else. It was also a sod when you needed to turn with them, as the spanners always made the hose rotate inside the fitting throwing everything off.

When OCUK had a deal on chainguns I bought loads. £7.99 for a pack of four !

The pump though? to be honest I have two Alphacool mini pumps and I worry about them far more than my Chinese pumps. Reason being they are thin, cheaply made and look crap. But worse the wires of one have come off twice. It's just a poor design tbh.
Oh god yeah, leaks are almost always the fittings. I'm still so mad that an XSPC 45 fitting resulted in the death one of my DDCs
Old 07-02-18, 12:44 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layer Cakes View Post
Oh god yeah, leaks are almost always the fittings. I'm still so mad that an XSPC 45 fitting resulted in the death one of my DDCs
My first setup in a 900D case I managed to crack my cpu block

So while fittings can be the main source of leaks (99% being rotaries), you can get leaks at the blocks. Especially If you pumped water around with 4x mcp 35X at 80% pwm 8 hours a day

Luckily etailer replaced my block free of charge. Since then I ran 2 pumps at 40% pwm and well... performance and cooling improved.
Old 07-02-18, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My first setup in a 900D case I managed to crack my cpu block

So while fittings can be the main source of leaks (99% being rotaries), you can get leaks at the blocks. Especially If you pumped water around with 4x mcp 35X at 80% pwm 8 hours a day

Luckily etailer replaced my block free of charge. Since then I ran 2 pumps at 40% pwm and well... performance and cooling improved.
What was the CPU block made out of? I've never had an actual block fail, only threads and O rings.
Old 07-02-18, 01:50 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layer Cakes View Post
What was the CPU block made out of? I've never had an actual block fail, only threads and O rings.
Believe it or not, it was an EK Supremacy block.

Could be that a hairline fracture was present from the start but I wont complaine. I got an upgrade for free and no issues since.
Old 07-02-18, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Believe it or not, it was an EK Supremacy block.

Could be that a hairline fracture was present from the start but I wont complaine. I got an upgrade for free and no issues since.
Oh blimey! Glad to hear it all got sorted though.
Old 07-02-18, 02:40 PM
OC3D Elite

Was it acetal or acrylic? I can see acrylic cracking (you should see the spider webs around the G 1/4s on the back of my dual bay res) but acetal is soft like turd so shouldn't crack. It does mark very easily though.

Old 07-02-18, 10:22 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
I use two of these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SC600-DC-...cAAOSwtnpXlWDS

They are ace. Strong, and full ceramic bearing etc.

^ vid of me testing mine.
How did those pumps hold up and what did you use for a res?
ASUS ROG Crosshair VII wifi | Ryzen 5 3600 | Custom Loop | Patriot Viper Steel 4133 @ 3600 2 x 8Gb | Asus Strix RX 470 | Samsung 500gb nvme | Samsung 1Tb nvme | Samsung Evo 120gb ssd | Seagate Barracuda 1tb storage | Toshiba 1Tb HDD | EVGA 500w | Phanteks Entho Pro Tempered Glass | Windows 10 and Linux Manjaro
Old 08-02-18, 10:37 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post
How did those pumps hold up and what did you use for a res?
In the first instance I used a bay res. Single bay, some one gave it to me for free.

Note that's a double res plate on there to make it look better haha. I now have another single bay res directly below it, with a double cover on that shows both res fill levels.

That rig then became my daily driver, because it was half as noisy as my Triad. It also used mainly 600 RPM fans due to the locked Xeon so yeah it was practically inaudible. I used that rig for a solid year before I went proper water on the Triad which made it just as quiet and five times as powerful. It's my TV rig now (the one above).

And I have this bay cover now over the two res.

Was 99p in the sale lol. I got a load of these for £1.99

So did a proper block/loop on the Fury X.

For Old Skool I used a nasty cylinder res (nasty because it's poorly designed and the brackets are terrible.)

Which was definitely easier and made it easier to prime and fill.

There, that's it there with a res/pump combo (CRAP). The wires fell off the AC pump touching together and blew up my BigNG fan controller (worth over £100) my voltage meter and my temp sensor LCD FFS.

That's the culprit there. Horrible whiny little thing.

At some point in the future I am going to gut it and sort it out properly. It got one loop (that was designed for it) then the second one was just a stuff in. It needs gutting and sorting out properly.

That's how it sits today.