Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Networks & Security

Old 18-01-10, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to Judderman
I am also on the 50mb connection with Virgin and since they have upgraded me I have found the service to be very unstable, my network connection drops for no reason and its not just limited to evenings. I have found that the quickest way to rectify it has been to log on to my router and release then renew my ip through DHCP.

I was previously with telewest before Virgin bought them out and was always very happy with the service I got, since Virgin took over thou I have been totally unimpressed with both their attitude and there service.

I only upgraded to the 50mb package due to their stupid fair usuage policy, I was previously on the 10mb package which was totally sufficient until they capped my unlimited service down to 2mb every time I downloaded more than 4gb in one day!, TBH I am going to downgrade my service again as like i said before, the 50mb connection seems to be unstable and the only reason I have stuck with it for the last 3 months is that the fair usuage policy does not apply to the 50mb service!

I personally think its time that trading standards started looking at these companys a bit closer and the way they advertise there services as when I questioned Virgin as to why they were limiting my unlimited service they said that they were not and that I could still download as much as I wanted. I tried to point out that by restricting my speed they were restricting the amount I could download they simply played dumb.

Its not just Virgin that use these dodgy methods to sell there broadband and its time the government stepped up and started penialising these companys!

Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler
MSI Radeon HD 7870 1100 MHz Edition
16gb Mushkin RAM (1600mhz)
Antec Trupower 750w PSU
MS Windows 8 Pro 64bit O/S
Old 18-01-10, 07:31 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='nathan'
Could you guys on virgin do a ping test during peak hours, say 8pm. That's when my mates connection goes tits up. I'm on BE, 24MB unlimited for £22 a month isn't bad at all. I don't even think there's a fair usage policy.
here's mine

Gigabyte EX58A-UD3R

3x4GB GSkill Ripjaws PC3-12800

AMD HD 6970 2GB & Dell 3007WFP-HC

Asus Xonar DX

Crucial C300, Vertex1, Velociraptor & Sammy F3's

Corsair AX850

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1

Old 18-01-10, 07:55 PM
OC3D Elite

The jitter has been as high as I think 30's
Old 18-01-10, 08:47 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via MSN to BloomerzUK

20MB Virgin Cable.
Old 18-01-10, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

lol if this post gets through, I'm currently experiencing 98% packet loss. Fun times on Virgin cable.
Old 18-01-10, 09:14 PM
OC3D Crew

ouch

get help on the virgin newsgroups (virginmedia.support.broadband.cable)

they're usually pretty quick to respond and can arrange an engineer visit if needed

Gigabyte EX58A-UD3R

3x4GB GSkill Ripjaws PC3-12800

AMD HD 6970 2GB & Dell 3007WFP-HC

Asus Xonar DX

Crucial C300, Vertex1, Velociraptor & Sammy F3's

Corsair AX850

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1

Old 18-01-10, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

It's going through cycles of being horrible and recovering a little. It's because it's peak time now.

I've been posting on the newsgroup for a week or so, even had an engineer round as a result. He came and looked out of his depth from the outset, did basically nothing, left some of his kit here (which he later collected) and said the best thing to do would be to get someone else to come next week (this week). I asked him to book someone, but have no idea if they'll turn up or not. Just asked on the newsgroup if there is anyone coming.

There's also a known fault in my area, but nobody seems to know when/if it's going to get sorted. 3 months in to this and I'm getting pretty tired. Did manage to play a little DoD:S the other day, but only through the day when nobody's at home. Shame though, all I found out was that only the hardcore DoD:S players are playing then, and that I really suck at that game!

I'm glad a negotiated a great price for this BB now, otherwise I definitely would have cancelled by now. Shoddy, shoddy performance, but for some it seems blazingly fast all the time! Indeed, last year, pre november, mine was perfect 100% of the time. Only had one brief outage of about 10 min!