Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 23-05-20, 12:22 PM

£1200 gaming/streaming PC for GF

Hi,

My girlfriend wants to get a gaming PC of her own. She wil be mostly using it for gaming, some photoshop/lightroom, and streaming. She wants to be able to play most games well enough

The budget is 1200 pounds but that includes monitor, keyboard, and wifi card.

For the monitor, 24" would suffice. So either 1080p or 1440p.

If the budget permits, I am open to overclocking the computer. She has a dog, and it can get quite dusty from him, therefore a case with good filters would be a priority.

I have been out of the hardware game for a while, so I am not sure which graphics cards are currently the best for the price. She has seen the minecraft RTX and was quite adamant on an RTX card, but if there are other ones from AMD or even nVidia (e.g. 1070/1080) then she would go for that.

Thanks,

Atham

Old 23-05-20, 12:46 PM
OC3D Elite

There's probably better options people can give for the case but something like that might be a good starting point. The monitor is IPS and FreeSync capable so seems like a good balance of image quality and smoothness for the price.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/PDdzdm
Could save ~£100 on the GPU without losing much traditional performance with a 5700XT if RTX wasn't necessary.
Old 23-05-20, 04:10 PM
OC3D Elite

Actually the Nvenc encoder save's a lot of hassle for the cpu to do, i'd say you put a decent system together for that. I'd consider a tower cpu cooler so the cpu can boost longer but you wouldnt need to overclock a ryzen anyway, it does fine on its own.
Old 23-05-20, 05:06 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark NighT View Post
Actually the Nvenc encoder save's a lot of hassle for the cpu to do, i'd say you put a decent system together for that. I'd consider a tower cpu cooler so the cpu can boost longer but you wouldnt need to overclock a ryzen anyway, it does fine on its own.
This is true, though for balance I'll just add AMD also has an equivalent encoder for streaming.
Old 23-05-20, 05:11 PM
OC3D Elite

Oh i was not aware, thanks for updating me
Old 23-05-20, 06:36 PM

I have been thinking that these cards (rtx 2070 and 5700 xt) both may be overkill for 1080p gaming at 60Hz. I have been looking at other monitors.

Regarding the motherboard, does the ASRock B450M work out of the box, or will I need to flash it? I am looking at the MSI boards, mainly the Tomahawk MAX. I will also still be needing a wifi card in that case.
Old 23-05-20, 06:51 PM
OC3D Elite

I think your pcpartpicker list is still on private, you do have a point about it being overkill though.

Yep the ASRock B450M will work out the box, I've had friends who've bought it just for Ryzen3000 and it came with the updates BIOS for it. WiFi cards aren't too expensive but it may be worth considering a board with WiFi anyway if you wanted things a little neater.

ASRock have a version of that board with WiFi called the B450M/Ac but it's very hard/expensive to find in the UK right now, even the mITX equivalent that my friend has is far cheaper atm(This one if you were also considering mITX).
Old 23-05-20, 07:38 PM

I made the list public.

I was showing her some cases, and she likes the 110Q and 270R mid-towers from Corsair. I like them because they won't let dust and dog hair in.

Let me know what you think.

For the wifi cards, I know that MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC did not support gen 3 right off the bat. Does it still not support it?
Old 23-05-20, 08:15 PM
OC3D Elite

About what I would get on that budget.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ghnrsk
ASUS ROG Crosshair VII wifi | Ryzen 5 3600 | Custom Loop | Patriot Viper Steel 4133 @ 3600 2 x 8Gb | Asus Strix RX 470 | Samsung 500gb nvme | Samsung 1Tb nvme | Samsung Evo 120gb ssd | Seagate Barracuda 1tb storage | Toshiba 1Tb HDD | EVGA 500w | Phanteks Entho Pro Tempered Glass | Windows 10 and Linux Manjaro
Old 23-05-20, 08:23 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atham View Post
I made the list public.

I was showing her some cases, and she likes the 110Q and 270R mid-towers from Corsair. I like them because they won't let dust and dog hair in.

Let me know what you think.

For the wifi cards, I know that MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC did not support gen 3 right off the bat. Does it still not support it?
I think any B450M board you buy from a retailer today will have Ryzen3000 BIOS' pre-installed and definitely available online unless explicitly stated otherwise. The Ryzen3000 BIOS' came for most motherboards around April 2019. But you can also check any boards CPU support list or BIOS updates online for additional comfort: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/supp...AC#support-cpu

Everything looks good to me though, and as Rob points out if you strictly needed it under £1200 there are also the quad core options, though it's probably worth waiting for the Ryzen 3 3300X or 3100's launch in a couple of weeks or something ish apparently if you did want that route.