Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 09-10-19, 06:55 PM
OC3D Elite

I'd have said the same thing. Why? Because when DX12 was being sold to us I specifically remember being told "SLi is dead, all hail implicit and explicit mgpu". I was also led to believe that DX12 would work brilliantly with two GPUs.

The exact opposite actually happened.

Old 09-10-19, 07:35 PM
OC3D Elite

Two GPUs is just a trap for those who want "best of the best" and high benchmark scores. AFR's input lag penalty is heavy.
Old 09-10-19, 10:20 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
I'd have said the same thing. Why? Because when DX12 was being sold to us I specifically remember being told "SLi is dead, all hail implicit and explicit mgpu". I was also led to believe that DX12 would work brilliantly with two GPUs.

The exact opposite actually happened.
The problem is that explicit multi-GPU was sold to us by hardware and game engine experts. The big problem with DX12 and Vulkan is that they are, in many regards, too complex.

Modern APIs ask developers to do everything, and that isn't easy. Yes, they can get some huge benefits from the change, but there is a simplicity to DirectX 11 that the modern APIs lack.

One area is memory management. In DX11 if you run out of VRAM, you DRAM will start to be used. More often then not, if you run out of VRAM on a DX12 or Vulkan game, the game crashes.

As far as multi-GPU does, to much power was in the hands of game/engine makers. They didn't see the effort as worthwhile. GPUs were getting stronger and stronger with each generation, so a focus on multi-GPU didn't seem like a good idea.