Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 08-03-21, 12:09 PM
News Guru

AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution reportedly Doubles Game Performance - A DLSS killer

Radeon's multi-platform performance booster!

Read more about AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution feature reportedly doubling game performance.

Old 08-03-21, 02:10 PM
Resident Newb

DLSS killer ? That's an enormous claim, It'll be a welcome alternative but I'll take this with a truck load of salt.
Old 08-03-21, 02:27 PM
OC3D Elite

Bit sensational i agree, when the cold hard numbers of this come in then we can see if it really does what it says and if it's a "killer" or not.
Old 08-03-21, 02:31 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
DLSS killer ? That's an enormous claim, It'll be a welcome alternative but I'll take this with a truck load of salt.
If it works as intended and is fully cross-platform (including Nvidia), it will diminish the appeal of DLSS.

If AMD can match Nvidia in terms of quality, Nvidia will have a hard time keeping developers interested.
Old 08-03-21, 03:30 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
If it works as intended and is fully cross-platform (including Nvidia), it will diminish the appeal of DLSS.

If AMD can match Nvidia in terms of quality, Nvidia will have a hard time keeping developers interested.
It'll be interesting to see how it's implemented as Nvidia use dedicated hardware for it but from what I have read AMD do not have dedicated hardware for this type of thing which going by what I know of RDNA2 it will use a cards compute ability meaning it wouldn't give the same level of performance uplift as Nvidia's Tensor cores.

Could be totally wrong though and AMD have some secret hidden special sauce hardware.
Old 08-03-21, 08:58 PM
OC3D Crew

At this point, who the hell cares. Unless crypto market crashes, I see no point in even following the GPU market.
Old 08-03-21, 09:03 PM
Old N Gold

I think it's fair to say it could be a DLSS killer in that it could offer greater performance uplift and reach a wider audience. DLSS may still end up being visually superior, especially as it ages, but the main issue with DLSS at the moment is implementation. Even if AMD are late, if they come out with something at least somewhat visually comparable, with greater performance gains, and wider implementation, that could 'kill' DLSS in the same way that Freesync 'killed' Gsync. It obviously won't just as Freesync didn't actually kill Gsync, because the technology is very good and Nvidia has its foot in many companies' doors, but Freesync as it currently is is effectively superior. It's cheaper, easier to implement, and works across multiple systems. If AMD had the financial clout and foothold as Intel, Gsync would have no place.

It seems to me that DLSS vs FidelityFX Super Resolution is a repeat of that. DLSS isn't used for anything other than gaming, it can't be used by any other manufacturer, it has to be implemented by the game developers but isn't available on the two main consoles, and it has costly hardware demands. Those are some pretty big drawbacks.

DLSS is awesome and it's in Nvidia's future for sure, but I do think AMD's answer could 'kill' it.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 08-03-21, 09:17 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
I think it's fair to say it could be a DLSS killer in that it could offer greater performance uplift and reach a wider audience. DLSS may still end up being visually superior, especially as it ages, but the main issue with DLSS at the moment is implementation. Even if AMD are late, if they come out with something at least somewhat visually comparable, with greater performance gains, and wider implementation, that could 'kill' DLSS in the same way that Freesync 'killed' Gsync. It obviously won't just as Freesync didn't actually kill Gsync, because the technology is very good and Nvidia has its foot in many companies' doors, but Freesync as it currently is is effectively superior. It's cheaper, easier to implement, and works across multiple systems. If AMD had the financial clout and foothold as Intel, Gsync would have no place.

It seems to me that DLSS vs FidelityFX Super Resolution is a repeat of that. DLSS isn't used for anything other than gaming, it can't be used by any other manufacturer, it has to be implemented by the game developers but isn't available on the two main consoles, and it has costly hardware demands. Those are some pretty big drawbacks.

DLSS is awesome and it's in Nvidia's future for sure, but I do think AMD's answer could 'kill' it.

From the bits I've read, AMD's version will be heavily based on Microsofts Direct ML image upscaling so for games on PC this should be incredibly easy to implement, Compared to DLSS.
Old 08-03-21, 10:40 PM
AMD Enthusiast

DLSS code is provided as a toolkit. It's not like they each do it from scratch.

Remains to be seen for FidelityFX SR. Wouldn't surprise me but this does create issues still with segmentation. Even if they adopt it, if based on DXML it will not be cross compatible with PS. Which then begs the question of if we already support DLSS, why bother adding this for one platform(XBOX)? It wouldn't be worth the time to implement and remove DLSS(from PC) to add it to both Xbox and PC considering most studios only just have gotten DLSS.
Old 09-03-21, 01:30 AM
OC3D Elite

Source: YouTuber says so