Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > Introductions

Old 17-04-17, 06:40 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixGTX580SLI View Post
Thanks all for your advice im looking into the rog 2k scrren with either 165hz or 144hz refresh rate not sure exactly yet and will go with the 1080ti strix and run at 1440p and turn all the eye candy up.
May I ask why 165Hz?... I can, and I'm sure many will agree with me, tell you that you won't notice any difference between 144Hz and 165Hz. Hell, even going from 100Hz to 144Hz is hard noticing the difference.

Plus, it requires a lot more GPU horsepower to push a consistent 165 fps rather than 144. Will also depend a lot on the specific game(s) you're playing.

So why go, which I also assume is, more expensive? When you can save some money, especially when I doubt you'll ever see the difference in the higher refresh rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
4K user here, would agree with everyone above about the 1440p recommendation. I'm not an ultra-heavy gamer (thank god) otherwise I'd be dying, or desperately in need of a huge GPU upgrade (currently running 2 980s). 1440p is the sweet spot for sure, and if I had a do-over, I'd go that route.
May I ask how come you didn't and do as well?... Can't you sell your current monitor and get a 1440p? Which I assume is cheaper than a 4K monitor. Although I have no idea on that, since I've never looked at 4K monitors, so no idea on their prices etc.

Old 17-04-17, 06:52 AM

I purchased that model due to having contacts within my local pc store to allow me to purchase that model becsuse the 144hz model was not in stock...TBH im not fussed im just glad to be at 1440p now
Old 17-04-17, 06:57 AM

Im not doing the 4k route....Ive taken all advice onboard and iv gone 1080ti strix OC model with the 1440 ips pannel
Old 17-04-17, 07:22 AM
AMD Enthusiast

You'll love it, enjoy.
Old 17-04-17, 08:08 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
I purchased that model due to having contacts within my local pc store to allow me to purchase that model becsuse the 144hz model was not in stock...TBH im not fussed im just glad to be at 1440p now
Oh well then I see... In my previous post I was more into the impression of you being in the thoughts of which one to buy, with the 165Hz being more expensive.

But if you've already got it and might have gotten it at a deal, then do ignore my post

And as NBD said above, enjoy!
Old 17-04-17, 12:41 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Im not doing the 4k route....Ive taken all advice onboard and iv gone 1080ti strix OC model with the 1440 ips pannel
Grats man that'll be a bloody nice combo.

Thing is some games were not designed for 4k any way so you're just driving pixels for pretty much no visual gain.

Bit of a top tip here.. you can actually run 4k on a 1440p by using Nvidia's DSR (dynamic super resolution) it basically runs at 4k then compresses the image to fit your screen. Some games are worth seeing @4k using DSR and work well (dying light, crysis 3 and rottr.)

Not all games play nice with it but that's quite rare. Just search YouTube for Nvidia DSR and you'll find some good guides on how to use it

Old 17-04-17, 01:40 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Grats man that'll be a bloody nice combo.

Thing is some games were not designed for 4k any way so you're just driving pixels for pretty much no visual gain.

Bit of a top tip here.. you can actually run 4k on a 1440p by using Nvidia's DSR (dynamic super resolution) it basically runs at 4k then compresses the image to fit your screen. Some games are worth seeing @4k using DSR and work well (dying light, crysis 3 and rottr.)

Not all games play nice with it but that's quite rare. Just search YouTube for Nvidia DSR and you'll find some good guides on how to use it
That is nice. But it actually defies the point of 1440p with high FPS, and eye candy, because you get 4K FPS and performance. It may be useful for some older games that are not so demanding.
Old 17-04-17, 01:49 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
That is nice. But it actually defies the point of 1440p with high FPS, and eye candy, because you get 4K FPS and performance. It may be useful for some older games that are not so demanding.
It's very handy for RTS games like Ashes for example where more pixels means more on screen. And yeah, I kinda took for granted that when using it you would use games that are easier to run,or, don't benefit from uber FPS.

Fallout 4 for example. VATS takes away the need for high FPS and above 70hz will actually break, should you circumvent the hard line VSYNC.

I got stuck on a terminal for example.

Old 17-04-17, 03:49 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrazey View Post
May I ask how come you didn't and do as well?... Can't you sell your current monitor and get a 1440p? Which I assume is cheaper than a 4K monitor. Although I have no idea on that, since I've never looked at 4K monitors, so no idea on their prices etc.
The 4K screen was on sale, and I had just come into some back pay I wasn't expecting. I got the 4K screen for about 1K CDN taxes in, and it was $300 off at the time (Acer Predator XB280HK). I wouldn't bother trying to sell it at a loss now, not much point. With the limited gaming I do, it's fine for now. Civ 5 and Fallout 4 both look and play well, so I'm good for the moment.