Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 16-07-19, 09:32 AM
News Guru

No, Nvidia isn't making an RTX 2080 Ti SUPER

Don't expect the RTX 2080 Ti to be upgraded.

Read more about Nvidia's not making an RTX 2080 Ti Super.

Old 16-07-19, 10:04 AM

While I agree with the overall statement... LOL, you're using TweakTown as a source?
Old 16-07-19, 10:31 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggyolly View Post
While I agree with the overall statement... LOL, you're using TweakTown as a source?
Yeah, I don't like using them as a source due to their history of unreliability, but I know for a fact that he was at the Super briefing.
Old 16-07-19, 10:41 AM
OC3D Elite

There is little point in NVidia producing a super version of the 2080 Ti as it would be very expensive for very little performance increase.

They would also have the problem of finding a use for TU102 chips that do not make the grade for cards that use the full fat version.

GTX 960 owner and proud of it.
Old 16-07-19, 11:23 AM
OC3D Elite

This comes out one day after AMD confirm there won't be a big Navi yet.

I bet they would have otherwise.

Old 16-07-19, 11:26 AM
OC3D Elite

The conference where this question was answered was a couple of weeks ago, while AMD have not revealed any further information regarding future Navi yet since 5700's launch. The article is in response to recent forum rumours of a new Ti Super I think, NVidia would have known technical limitations of non-EUV 7nm processes means AMD couldn't have a true big die competitor this year very long(years) ago.
Old 16-07-19, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
Yeah, I don't like using them as a source due to their history of unreliability, but I know for a fact that he was at the Super briefing.
Fair!
Old 16-07-19, 12:26 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
The conference where this question was answered was a couple of weeks ago, while AMD have not revealed any further information regarding future Navi yet since 5700's launch. The article is in response to recent forum rumours of a new Ti Super I think, NVidia would have known technical limitations of non-EUV 7nm processes means AMD couldn't have a true big die competitor this year very long(years) ago.
I'd imagine Nvidia know more about Navi than AMD tbh.

Old 16-07-19, 12:32 PM
OC3D Elite

In this area both companies will at least be able to give solid estimations of the costs of parts and the hard limitations of the silicon available to competitors to be fair, given they are both regularly paying customers and close partners of the companies that dictate those limits(TSMC & Samsung).
Old 16-07-19, 01:12 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
I'd imagine Nvidia know more about Navi than AMD tbh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
In this area both companies will at least be able to give solid estimations of the costs of parts and the hard limitations of the silicon available to competitors to be fair, given they are both regularly paying customers and close partners of the companies that dictate those limits(TSMC & Samsung).
Basically, what tgrech said, Nvidia will know roughly how much the RX 5700 series will cost and what AMD's margins are.

What Nvidia can't guess is how efficiently AMD can use their silicon and what IPC/clock speed improvements they can expect. They could easily imagine what 7nm Vega would look like, which is why Jensen could be so confident when the Radeon VII launched.

Nvidia could guess what Navi would be like to a certain extent, but I doubt Nvidia thought that Navi would be this good. The main point about Navi is that AMD's design changes have addressed their weak points, resulting in huge gains over Vega in lots of Nvidia favouring titles.

As it stands right now, AMD is still responding to Maxwell, the architecture that gave Nvidia the power lead and clock speed lead they needed to take the entire mobile market and fully assert their dominance. AMD is starting to make a comeback with Navi, but they still have a lot of catching up to do.