Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 02-07-19, 07:02 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
And yet the previous cards also were on the same manufacturing process and previous batches would have benefited from the reduced cost. Yet the prices remained the same. It's a terrible argument. It's just Nvidia price gouging.
Manufacturing nodes mature over time so yields will have been improving since Turing's launch. Big jumps in yields occur with each stepping too, which there have been a few of since Turing's launch. Original cards have dropped in price naturally but are now EOL so NVidia has had no reason to change MSRP. Similarly, GDDR6 prices have dropped singificantly as DRAM capacity has improved, while the cooler naturally gets cheaper per-unit to produce as the initial cost is dominated by the cost of creating the moulds & machinery, so the PCB's & most of the cooler cost will have dropped as well. NVidia without a doubt went for fat margins on OG Turing, but those fat margins were definitely complimented by the fact that the original cards would have initially been exceptionally expensive to produce. I'd expect NVidia make significantly more money on these Super cards than on the original cards.

Old 02-07-19, 08:01 PM
OC3D Elite

They price them how ever they want because they can. And I don't blame, or hate them for that. There is no competition at all in the GPU market. We can just moan about it, and pay. When competition comes it will be a different story. For Heaven's sake Intel is dropping prices on CPUs. Why? AMD is finally (maybe) offering a competitive product. Until we have a GPU that can actually offer a choice except green to the buyers we are at the mercy of Nvidia. I really hope 2020 will give us GPUs in different colors. Red, Green, and maybe Blue???
Old 02-07-19, 08:26 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
They price them how ever they want because they can. And I don't blame, or hate them for that. There is no competition at all in the GPU market. We can just moan about it, and pay. When competition comes it will be a different story. For Heaven's sake Intel is dropping prices on CPUs. Why? AMD is finally (maybe) offering a competitive product. Until we have a GPU that can actually offer a choice except green to the buyers we are at the mercy of Nvidia. I really hope 2020 will give us GPUs in different colors. Red, Green, and maybe Blue???
You are contradicting your previous statement from "manufacturing cost" to "price them however they want"

As I said. The previous late batches of the last RTX cards will all have benefited from manufacturing being better. Yet the prices never went down. They only waited because they can which proves the point of they were always price gouging. They held back and charged more.
Old 02-07-19, 09:19 PM
OC3D Elite

The whole point of a publicly operated company is to maximise profit for shareholders though. The US supreme court only stopped just short of it being criminal negligence to do otherwise. This is the whole point of capitalism, to incentivise progress through capital/profit(/greed). If we're going to critique prices in this game, then it has to be whether the increased price is worth the reduced sales. A publicly-operated company itself is completely beholden to the pressure imposed by their shareholders, whether that's AMD or NVidia, and they have a duty to price their cards according to their determined free market value, not their sum of parts.

NVidia probably wouldn't have been able to justify the upfront expense of Turing's consumer release to investors if they had priced them at the value most people desired(IE based on current game performance, a pretty abstract measure as far as shareholders are concerned), and probably wouldn't have released the series in it's full-fat variant for consumers at all, at least not the TU106 cards.

Price gouging is not really a term that can apply when we're talking about luxury entertainment devices like gaming GPUs, no one is required to pay for these things and if they're genuinely overpriced for their free-market value they wouldn't sell, particularly for products with large 2nd hand markets.
Old 02-07-19, 10:07 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
You are contradicting your previous statement from "manufacturing cost" to "price them however they want"

As I said. The previous late batches of the last RTX cards will all have benefited from manufacturing being better. Yet the prices never went down. They only waited because they can which proves the point of they were always price gouging. They held back and charged more.
I don't think there is a contradiction. With manufacturing costs going down their profit margins are bigger. Even though they have dropped the prices, they probably earn the same or more per card. And with lower prices, they will sell more. And as you have said, they have extra earnings from previous batch, so this move can't hurt them at all. Nvidia still prices them what they want because in theory cards could be cheaper, and they would still have acceptable margins. This way they earn bags of money because there isn't anyone to offer a better product for less. Also, form a marketing standpoint, with AMD launches now, this is a perfect time to make an offer.
Old 02-07-19, 11:42 PM
OC3D Elite

Still too expensive. Still not buying. Nvidia can go s*ck themselves. I saw the super announcement and besides the terrible corny naming I had one thought: no one cares.

Old 03-07-19, 07:52 AM
The Webmaster

The branding is daft, "Super" just call it S.. everyone's going to call them S, spare us the daffy branding and logos.. All that slick design in the FE cards (they're gorgeous) and they just chrome plate them and add green crappy logos. Bad form.

Frankly I'm glad I got a Ti, it seems to have largely dodged this round of BS, though I imagine they'll release a super Ti, but they should brand that as 2080Ti The Super

Then it can be the 2080TiTs (>.<). or just "The Tits", lol
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 03-07-19, 08:00 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
The branding is daft, "Super" just call it S.. everyone's going to call them S, spare us the daffy branding and logos.. All that slick design in the FE cards (they're gorgeous) and they just chrome plate them and add green crappy logos. Bad form.

Frankly I'm glad I got a Ti, it seems to have largely dodged this round of BS, though I imagine they'll release a super Ti, but they should brand that as 2080Ti The Super

Or the Stacked Tits LOL
NZXT Phantom 630 White=AMD Ryzen 1700X=MSI X370 Gaming M7 ACK=Intel Optane SSD 9 480GB PCIE=32gig 3200Mhz GSkill Flare X= MSI GTX1080 Seahawk X=NZXT Kraken X62=MSI MPG341CQR=MSI GK80 Vigor=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Cougar 700M=EVGA Supernova 850 G2=White Sennheiser Game One=NZXT Hue+ with Aer RGB fans and RBG strip=Pioneer BDR-209D=Windows 10 Pro=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS=Corsair MM800 RGB CE
Old 06-07-19, 11:49 PM
OC3D Elite

PS: by too expensive I had in mind the aftermarket cards and Dutch prices. I just may opt for a 2080 super - if the price is reasonable.

Old 07-07-19, 01:28 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post

I think that this is actually the first post of yours that actually gave me a laugh, that was some proper good and fun reading there!