Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Liquid Cooling

Old 04-06-20, 12:51 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
I've not had the same results. That said paying four times as much for something that apparently and clearly makes such a tiny difference is nuts.

It's decent for direct to die on GPUs as it's not runny but I just don't rate it on CPUs.

Oh and yes, it's too thick also which is why you have to use so much. It's like silly putty ffs.
Thats not much different to what we are paying for GPU and CPUs for 10% or less upgrades. That is for both AMD and Intel, yet we still do it because... benchmarks

Old 04-06-20, 02:33 PM
OC3D Elite

I'm with Avet, spreading FTW. I've always found spreading to be the most consistent way to apply paste, but YMMV. It's why I still prefer MX-4 too, since that stuff spreads very nicely.

Old 04-06-20, 02:41 PM
OC3D Elite

Only reason not to use liquid metal is preserving warranty IMO.
Old 05-06-20, 06:30 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
I'm with Avet, spreading FTW. I've always found spreading to be the most consistent way to apply paste, but YMMV. It's why I still prefer MX-4 too, since that stuff spreads very nicely.
Some pastes have to be spread. They are too thick to spread properly when you screw down the cooler. Case in point, Arctic Ceramique which I used for many years.

It depends on the paste and the viscosity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Thats not much different to what we are paying for GPU and CPUs for 10% or less upgrades. That is for both AMD and Intel, yet we still do it because... benchmarks
Thing is if you are changing anything at all ever it just costs more and more money for one application. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on a GPU again, it's very good for that. However, as an example when I did an upgrade over Christmas I had to pull the CPU out four times and continually switch it back with the old one to troubleshoot.

I decided against it on my 3950x because I knew I was going to pull the cooler when my der8auer bracket finally arrived. Which it has, so I need to pull the cooler off and sort that soon. But that would have been another £8 down the drain.

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 05-06-20, 07:43 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Well it's worth it for some people. If you run a business that small tiny gain can still surmount to some form of revenue increase or allow for more complex services that are able to finish in the same amount of time as before. Which increases quality or accuracy. It scales with economies of scale and becomes more worthwhile. Just depends where that individual ends up on that scale.

For people like us though no it's not worth it. Unless you want it then of course that's your money I won't judge and if you're happy then who cares