Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 22-01-20, 09:59 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by trawetSluaP View Post
It's not if the device can receive, it's if you watch broadcasts.

So you can have a TV just for gaming and never need a licence.
Yes but unfortunately if you get a knock on the door you need to prove that you don't watch TV, or BBC iplayer or any online TV service that is broadcasted. Its one of the few areas that are not in your favour. They could easily demand to go through your pc, and look at historical ips/addresses searching for bbc iplayer, or ITVplayer etc. I say demand in that it has to be done lawfully.

They can (i believe) get permission to have your ISP search for these permitted addresses too. While the rest or visited sites would be considered privacy and confidential. It all falls under the Communications Act 2003 and Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 (as amended).

Amended being that it was brought into the modern age to include online services.

What people don't realise is that this license is NOT going to the BBC directly. The licence fee is not a payment for BBC services (or any other television service), although licence fee revenue is used to fund the BBC.

Old 22-01-20, 10:36 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Yes but unfortunately if you get a knock on the door you need to prove that you don't watch TV, or BBC iplayer or any online TV service that is broadcasted. Its one of the few areas that are not in your favour. They could easily demand to go through your pc, and look at historical ips/addresses searching for bbc iplayer, or ITVplayer etc. I say demand in that it has to be done lawfully.

They can (i believe) get permission to have your ISP search for these permitted addresses too. While the rest or visited sites would be considered privacy and confidential. It all falls under the Communications Act 2003 and Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 (as amended).

Amended being that it was brought into the modern age to include online services.

What people don't realise is that this license is NOT going to the BBC directly. The licence fee is not a payment for BBC services (or any other television service), although licence fee revenue is used to fund the BBC.
If you get a knock on the door they have no right of entry, you can just say I don't need a licence and that's it, you don't even have to give them a name.
You don't have to prove anything, they have to have grounds to go to court to gain entry, and even then they can only test your TV if you have 1
They'd have no right to go through your PC history that would come under privacy laws, they could go to your ISP but you can go on the ITV on demand services online which you'd watch through their player.
RAM: 2x 8GB CORSAIR VENGENCE LED
GPU: Gigabyte white 2070
PSU: Corsair Rm850x
Old 22-01-20, 10:48 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback View Post
If you get a knock on the door they have no right of entry, you can just say I don't need a licence and that's it, you don't even have to give them a name.
You don't have to prove anything, they have to have grounds to go to court to gain entry, and even then they can only test your TV if you have 1
They'd have no right to go through your PC history that would come under privacy laws, they could go to your ISP but you can go on the ITV on demand services online which you'd watch through their player.
Nope.

What happens if I tell you I don't need a TV Licence?
We will send you confirmation of your No Licence Needed declaration.

If you tell us you don’t need a licence, we may confirm this with a visit to your address. This is because when we visit and make contact, we find one in six people that tell us they don't need a TV Licence actually do need one. If you are not licensed, you risk prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000* plus any legal costs and/or compensation you may be ordered to pay.

Online is harder to prove but its easy as hell to catch you out. The signal strength in your premises can be overwhelming. Its possible to detect 2 Tv signals from 60m away and even pinpoint that said units are in the same abode but different rooms. We use tech like this all the time to verify signal coverages and eliminate pockets around the country. Or fine tune the signals to penetrate areas quite accurately.

oh man we have massively derailed here

edit* Final word. I will be very very impressed if Boris stands true to his word to abolish the TV licence. I know he has a grudge against BBC but removal of the licence means a huge money saving for households literally struggling to get by.

Getting back on topic.

Disney +. Do they also provide non Disney content? Would be fantastic to see some deserved series revived or saved because Disney stream them when others lost interest.
Old 22-01-20, 11:07 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Nope.

If you tell us you don’t need a licence, we may confirm this with a visit to your address.

Online is harder to prove but its easy as hell to catch you out. The signal strength in your premises can be overwhelming. Its possible to detect 2 Tv signals from 60m away and even pinpoint that said units are in the same abode but different rooms. We use tech like this all the time to verify signal coverages and eliminate pockets around the country. Or fine tune the signals to penetrate areas quite accurately.

oh man we have massively derailed here

edit* Final word. I will be very very impressed if Boris stands true to his word to abolish the TV licence. I know he has a grudge against BBC but removal of the licence means a huge money saving for households literally struggling to get by.

Getting back on topic.

Disney +. Do they also provide non Disney content? Would be fantastic to see some deserved series revived or saved because Disney stream them when others lost interest.
They can send a capita bloke around he has no right to come into your house to check with out a court order.

back on topic I wonder what will happen to netflix and the like if other companies start doing their own streaming MGM now have a streaming service I wonder if they may eventually stop providing to independant companies, why have some of the money when you can have it all
Old 22-01-20, 11:14 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback View Post
They can send a capita bloke around he has no right to come into your house to check with out a court order.

back on topic I wonder what will happen to netflix and the like if other companies start doing their own streaming MGM now have a streaming service I wonder if they may eventually stop providing to independant companies, why have some of the money when you can have it all
Netflix I believe has lost quite a substancial sum of subscribers. Or perhaps their rate of increase has drastically declined.

Streaming industry certainly has provided alot of competition. But with all these exclusive rights, im hating that for some personal favourites you can only obtain it from one service.
Old 22-01-20, 11:26 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Netflix I believe has lost quite a substancial sum of subscribers. Or perhaps their rate of increase has drastically declined.

Streaming industry certainly has provided alot of competition. But with all these exclusive rights, im hating that for some personal favourites you can only obtain it from one service.
That's how I found MGM streaming while looking for Stargate SG1, so I do wonder if that is the way it will go, you'll need to have the makers streaming service to watch something rather than places like Netflix
Old 22-01-20, 12:01 PM

I think it's funny how "baby yoda" is mainstream worldwide yet only the US has legit access to it. I'm pretty sure I saw "baby yoda" merchandise in the UK, which is strange to me as no one should know what it is.

Quote:
Exactly. If you are able to receive a broadcast from a device. It means you have to pay. Thats why I used GPU since who would expect to pay a license because their graphics card supports receiving broadcasts
10000% do not need a license in UK regardless of what device you have as long as you don't watch live TV. I spent a lot of time researching this and gathering the correct information from actual sources when I was studying away from home.
Old 22-01-20, 12:12 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS View Post
10000% do not need a license in UK regardless of what device you have as long as you don't watch live TV. I spent a lot of time researching this and gathering the correct information from actual sources when I was studying away from home.
^This. As I said before, in the UK, if you don't watch live TV you don't need a TV license.

The only exception to this is BBC iPlayer, which requires a TV license. Other catch-up services don't, as they are add supported.
Old 22-01-20, 12:23 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
^This. As I said before, in the UK, if you don't watch live TV you don't need a TV license.

The only exception to this is BBC iPlayer, which requires a TV license. Other catch-up services don't, as they are add supported.
You don't need a TV licence to own or possess a television set. However, if you use it to watch or record programmes as they are being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, or to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer, then you need a TV licence in order to do so.
Old 22-01-20, 12:57 PM
News Guru

Quote:
You don't need a TV licence to own or possess a television set. However, if you use it to watch or record programmes as they are being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, or to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer, then you need a TV licence in order to do so.
https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

Notice that the only mention of catch up services are when referring to BBC iPlayer. Even what you say above says "to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer, " IE, this only affects BBC iPlayer.