Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 07-01-14, 09:50 AM
News Guru

Valve release Steam Machine Brochure - Not worried by next Gen

Last night valve released a brochure showing what each of their 13 Steam Machine Partners will be releasing later this year.

Inside the brochure you will see the steam machines designed by; Alienware, Alternate, Cyberpowerpc, Digital Storm, Falcon Northwest, Gigabyte, iBuyPower, Material.net, Next, Origin, Scan Computers, Webhallen.com and Zotac. The document can be found here (due to likely heavy load i have a link for you guys on Mega)

The machines run on a variety of hardware from AMD, Intel and Nvidia, with a Gigabyte Steam Machine only offering Integrated Intel Graphic (likely just for streaming) to a dual Titan monster from Origin PC.

Quote:
Question from the audience at a Valve CES presentation: Microsoft just announced 3 million units of xbox one were sold at launch for the last three months, can you hit that target by the end of the year? Can you do 3 million units?

Newell: Well, it'd take a while for them to catch up. I mean, we're at 65 million.

(Huge laugh from the crowd)

Part of why we think that this is the right direction to go in is that we can benefit from everything that people have already done. If I buy a game on Steam and am running it on Windows, I can go to one of the Steam Machines and I already have the game. So the benefit as a developer, you benefit as a consumer, having that PC experience extended into the living room.

It looks like Valve are confident moving into the future with SteamOS.

Source - Valve - kotaku

Old 07-01-14, 09:58 AM
born in a.....

Gaben is such a troll. Not impressed with the way that the GabeCubes are turning out thus far, they're just more like alienware than console alternatives. Much more excited about SteamOS.
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904| 970 EVO 500GB m.2|512GB evo 840| Crucial MX 500 500GB|ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG
Old 07-01-14, 10:03 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
Gaben is such a troll. Not impressed with the way that the GabeCubes are turning out thus far, they're just more like alienware than console alternatives. Much more excited about SteamOS.
The Steam Machines aren't really geared towards us really, If i wanted one I would build my own.

Kaveri looks like it would be a good fit for a steam machine, shame it was only officially launched and isn't in any of the current machines. I imagine that will change soon.
Old 07-01-14, 10:06 AM
born in a.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsyerproblem View Post
The Steam Machines aren't really geared towards us really, If i wanted one I would build my own.
Oh I am already building one of sorts. The reason why I say console alternative is because I thought that was the intention of the Steam Machine. I don't like how its just geared towards people who buy prebuilt PCs.
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904| 970 EVO 500GB m.2|512GB evo 840| Crucial MX 500 500GB|ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Old 07-01-14, 10:11 AM
OC3D Elite

Next is a partner? As in www.next.co.uk :S

How much are these going to cost, I imagine the dual Titan would cost my life?
Old 07-01-14, 10:14 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
Oh I am already building one of sorts. The reason why I say console alternative is because I thought that was the intention of the Steam Machine. I don't like how its just geared towards people who buy prebuilt PCs.
I understand your point don't get me wrong, valve need to get the mainstream users onto steamOS. Therefore they need to sell these configurable consoles.

You can't really market it to people who don't buy prebuilt PCs, we by nature like knowing what is inside our rigs and building them to suit our required specifications. I would personally never buy a prebuild unless i absolutely had to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunB-91 View Post
Next is a partner? As in www.next.co.uk :S

How much are these going to cost, I imagine the dual Titan would cost my life?
there is a link to the brochure under the first pic
Old 07-01-14, 10:18 AM
born in a.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsyerproblem View Post
You can't really market it to people who don't buy prebuilt PCs, we by nature like knowing what is inside our rigs and building them to suit our required specifications. I would personally never buy a prebuild unless i absolutely had to.
Oh trust me you can xD. Just slap in two titans (titan=best) and some form of i7. Also it would help to get a famous youtuber to endorse it. I've built PC for people like that and I play games with people like that on a regular basis.
Old 07-01-14, 02:17 PM

I probably sound really negative here, but Steams business management is terrible, they take ages to do anything. The steam boxes they've released so far are completely confused an I'm sure it will baffle your average consumer. There's no uniformity.

Also SteamOS is basically Big Picture mode dumped on Linux, there' nothing special about it.... but I know it has amazing potential but Steam first needs to learn how to design proper modern user interfaces. Big Picture Mode makes me feel like I'm sitting inside a Fish tank and it's very plain. Also steam usual application interface hasn't been updated properly for atleast 6-7 years.. it's just really lackluster, seriously where is the innovation here.

PC Gaming needs saving in my opinion, because Microsoft clearly doesn't give a about Windows as a Gaming platform, and game development is broken between consoles and pc it causes a large number of undesirables for developers and creates divide for the consumer when it would be so easy to unify the two but they just don't want it that way.
Old 07-01-14, 02:38 PM
born in a.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerocityRequiem View Post

Also SteamOS is basically Big Picture mode dumped on Linux, there' nothing special about it.... at the moment that is an I know it has amazing potential but Steam first need to learn how actually design proper modern user interfaces. Big Picture Mode makes me feel like I'm sitting inside a Fish tank and it's very plain. Also the steam usual interface has been updated really for atleast 6-7 years.. it's just really lacklust, like seriously where is the innovation here.
I hate to say it but no competition= no innovation . All the alternatives are awful compared to steam.
Old 07-01-14, 02:39 PM
OC3D Crew

I have a seconhand Intel Xeon E3-1225 siting around the flat somewhere maybe i will just make my own with that i shure as hell dont whant a Alienware/dell pos in my house...

Tags
half-life 3 confirmed, steam, valve, xbox