Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Customer Care Forums > Asus UK Customer Care Forums

Old 23-04-17, 08:03 PM

Question Maximus IX Extreme Water Block Questions

Wasn't sure where to post this as the ASUS website and printed materials don't explain a lot about this.

I've been working on a build for the last few weeks based around the Maximus IX Extreme. I finally finished my loop last night and after filling, cleaning and filling again I have the PC set up.

My question is about he various features of the monoblock. It comes with a USB attachment that plugs into a header near the block. This is supposed to give temperature readings, provide leak detection and flow rate. The flow meter is visible through the block itself however it is not turning in my loop. I assume the block is directional as it has small marking s on the fittings.

All the ASUS material explains is how to fit the block and doesn't mention anything about the flow direction. I had assumed the arrow pointing up meant inlet and the arrow pointing towards the fitting was the outlet.

Additionally I cannot see any way to interrogate the block diagnostics. The AI Suite Software bundled with the board doesn't have any options for the block. I know Tom has one not sure if he's put it in a loop yet.

Before I fill it with my final coolant I want to know if I have to redo my bends . Can anyone here help?

Old 23-04-17, 09:07 PM

Hi,
I have the same board and waterblock. The right side hole should be the input. The flow meter does not spin with slower pump speed. I have a powerfull Swiftec pump that outputs directly to the block and it starts spinning when i set the pump speed higher.
Old 24-04-17, 12:59 AM
Hagrid Look-A-Like

Arrow pointing to the fitting is Inlet (Right side) arrow pointing away from the fitting is the Outlet (Left)

So sorry to say, you will have to redo some bends dude
Old 24-04-17, 08:06 AM

Thanks for the input, looks like I'll just bite the bullet and redo the bends. Shame it was so nearly ready!

ASUS should really have this in their documentation.

Do you know how you get the output from the sensors. I think I can see Temp In and Temp Out in bios but I can't see these in windows. I also don't know how the leak detection works I assume it just kills the power if the rings get shorted?
Old 24-04-17, 01:18 PM
The Guvnor

The flow wont matter. If youre worried about the spinny flow meter crank your pump up to check (before you rip apart your loop)

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 24-04-17, 03:14 PM
Hagrid Look-A-Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
The flow wont matter. If youre worried about the spinny flow meter crank your pump up to check (before you rip apart your loop)
Depends if there is a jet plate in the block, running the flow the wrong way would create a noticeable difference in that scenario.
Old 24-04-17, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilbane View Post
Depends if there is a jet plate in the block, running the flow the wrong way would create a noticeable difference in that scenario.
I've cobbled together some tubing with the right one as an inlet and the flow meter works now. It only registers at about 90-100% PWM on a D5.

When I took the fitting off you can see that the fins for the CPU are directly under that fitting. I can see why in theory it is better to connect it that way round. I didn't record all benchmarks before hand to know what the exact difference is but there appears to be some minor improvements in temps.
Old 25-04-17, 02:25 AM
OC3D Elite

sorry but most would realize arrow towards hole as in and arrow outwards of hole is out lol but glad ya got it sorted out. They should of just marks one with an in arrow and left the other alone would of made more clear sense for some.

Intel 7700K
Aorus Z270 Gaming K7
2x8GB GSKILL Trident Z 3200MHz
Intel SSD6 256Gb x2 in Raid 0
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
EVGA GTX1080 FTW2 iCX Heat Killer IV block
Custom water Cooled Hardware Labs GTS360/240
ThermalTake Grand RGB 1000w PSU
Corsair Crystal 570X

Old 25-04-17, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_I_N View Post
sorry but most would realize arrow towards hole as in and arrow outwards of hole is out lol but glad ya got it sorted out. They should of just marks one with an in arrow and left the other alone would of made more clear sense for some.
To be fair I interpreted the arrow on the left as pointing into the block from the fitting therefore an inlet and the arrow pointing from the block to the fitting as an outlet. I assumed the arrows pointed in the direction of the flow.

It's far from perfectly clear and should at least be in the manual.
Old 25-04-17, 08:20 AM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilbane View Post

Orca had a jet plate - I ran her in reverse her whoile life just because I wanted the Koolance logo the right way up ;p

Get along or run along. Your choice

Tags
asus, maximus ix extreme, waterblock, watercooling