Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Liquid Cooling

Old 28-12-16, 01:44 PM

[SOLVED] Coolant-safe coating for plastics?

[SOLVED]

Hey guys,

I've been water cooling for just over 5 years on countless rigs now, so I'm quite familiar with the overall process. However, I'm not that great with chemistry, so I need some advice about a potential issue I've encountered. I'm possibly taking on a build in the new year for a friend. He wanted to have a figurine of a Dragonball Z character in the reservoir to simulate the healing chamber from the TV show. For those of you who don't know, this is what I mean (the character in the back sleeping in the healing liquid):

The problem here lies between the figurine inside the reservoir and the coolant within the loop. Another hobby of mine is plastic modelling, where you build a plastic model kit and paint each part for a nicer finish. Here is a before & after comparison of a Goku figure I finished earlier this year...

Before:

After:

So usually these figures get a final coat of clear matte paint, and I personally use a lacquer-based clearcoat to finish off all of my figures. As for coolant, I typically go with Mayhem's concentrates, but for this specific coolant colour, I will probably go with deionized/distilled water + Mayhem's dye (with a biocide of course). Also to note, these figurines are not air-tight, so while being submerged, the coolant will come in contact with some bare plastic I will not have painted due it not being visible (ie. the inside of his chest cavity or his hollow thighs).

TL;DR Please just read questions below...

So my questions are as follows:

1) Will having lacquer topcoat in contact with the coolant cause a reaction? Will it have any (short term and/or long term) negative effects?

2) Is there a another product (obviously must go on clear) I can cover the figurine with at the very end of my painting process to avoid any complications?

Thanks in advance for all your help guys, cheers!

- Ryan

Old 28-12-16, 02:41 PM
OC3D Crew

Just an idea, but maybe a hydrophobic clear coat, like hydrobead (http://www.hydrobead.com) or similar?

Not sure of reaction with coolant/dyes or how long it would actually last with the constant agitation though.

Ryzen 5 2600X -- EVGA GTX 1070 SC -- 16GB TeamGroup Dark Pro 3200mhz DDR4
MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon -- Corsair Force MP300 240GB
Seasonic Focus Gold 750 -- Phanteks P350X

Old 10-01-17, 02:17 PM

Just an out there idea, but what about a hollow res, so a tube inside a tube or stacked, get a longer res and then just put normal water inside with the figure and the watercooling fluid is seperate.

Maybe a monsoon res could do that, i dunno, just spit balling.
Old 25-01-17, 09:03 AM
OC3D Elite

We do the mayhems extreme coolants in aluminum bottles, we seal the bottles in a clear varnish lacquer so that no aluminum leaches or effects the coolant. The lacquer is just simple a water proof hardened clear varnish and its works a treat.
Old 25-01-17, 12:15 PM

Thanks for all the responses guys, really appreciate the feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
We do the mayhems extreme coolants in aluminum bottles, we seal the bottles in a clear varnish lacquer so that no aluminum leaches or effects the coolant. The lacquer is just simple a water proof hardened clear varnish and its works a treat.
Thanks for confirming this, Mick (I'm assuming this is you lol)! This is probably the most direct/helpful response I could've asked for
Old 25-01-17, 01:51 PM
OC3D Elite

Yup that is correct one of my staff pointed this thread out to me.

Mick
Old 25-01-17, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Yup that is correct one of my staff pointed this thread out to me.

Mick
I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my thread, thanks again. Also thanks to your staff, cheers!

Tags
coolant, paint, plastic, safe, watercooling