Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Graphics Cards

Old 18-04-16, 09:09 AM

Hi guys, thanks for coming back to me on this. I'm currently at work but will try out your suggestions and report back when i get in tonight.

Cheers
Mullett

Old 18-04-16, 06:05 PM

Ok guys, on the power issue I am using a Corsair RM1000i. It's fairly new, I bought it back in December. I chose the 1000i as I was thinking at the time of running a 980ti sli system but due to cost/usage decided against it. When the card is in the system and all plugged in both the white LED's are lit up to tell me that the power is connected correctly. The fans are spinning and the ROG light on top of the card is in breathing mode. As far as I can tell the card is getting all the power it should be. Also the system is running fine without the card. No kind of strange shut downs or anything like that which might indicate a general problem with the PSU.

The only thing I did think of is there any way for me to test the actual power output of the PSU. This might be a total noob thing to ask but is there anyway of testing the actual outputs on the PSU? Like with an ammeter or something similar? This way I could test how much actual power the card is receiving.

My monitor is a LG 34UM65-P. It's one of the first line of Ultra Wide's that LG bought out. It's the one I shouldn't have bought and instead waited for an Ultra Wide with G-Sync to come out instead. I was originally going to use two 980ti's on it but with the cost of them and with the monitor only being a 60hz screen I did not really see the point of going to the expense of a second one when I was already hitting 60fps on most everything I played on it.

Without the card plugged in I can use the Display Port cable I have fine off of the mobo out put. So the cable itself is definitely ok. The port on the monitor is ok as I am using it now as I sit and type this. I've tried using Hdmi in different ports on the card already and I get exactly the same type of error. For the sake of fault finding though I will try it again now and report back.

Cheers
Mullett
Old 18-04-16, 06:06 PM
OC3D Elite

You can buy a power supply tester from Maplins or Amazon etc fella

Build Log: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72241

“If you knew the magnificence of the three, six and nine, you would have a key to the universe.” – Nikola Tesla

Old 18-04-16, 06:31 PM

Ok so I have tried all the different ports on the card and no dice. I get the same error on all ports. Couple of things to note though:

When I changed from Display Port to Hdmi I forgot to change input on the monitor. Thing is the monitor recognised that the Hdmi was plugged in and notified me to switch inputs. It never had any effect on the GPU actually booting but the monitor did recognise that the card was connected. I don't know if this important in any way or not.

Also even if the card has nothing connected up to any of any of its outputs (DP or Hdmi) and I have the DP plugged into the mobo instead it still won't boot up. It just runs through the Q-Codes up to AO and I get the red VGA warning light on the side of the board.

I'm beginning to think this is a mobo issue. I have updated the bios to the latest one (3003 I think from memory) using the Asus EZ update software. I literary have no experience in this kind of fault finding so all thoughts are welcome.

I'll order myself a PSU tester off of Amazon tonight to try so I can double check the power issue.

Any other ideas please don't hesitate to post.

Cheers
Mullett
Old 18-04-16, 10:34 PM
OC3D Elite

Have you got an old GPU you can try? Or a mates that you can borrow?

If you have access to another rig you can use a process of elimination to see if the issue is the GPU/PSU/Mobo

What motherboard are you using?

Old 19-04-16, 08:27 AM

Morning all, unfortunately I do not have another the I can try in the system. The one I have though has gone back under RMA to Overclockers UK and been tested by them for a 'No Post' error. They could not find a fault with the card itself.

I'm going to test the PSU output tonight when I get in from work with an ammeter. I run a shop and we sell them in there. Always thought I should learn how they worked so this is the perfect opportunity to do that.

I'm using an Asus ROG Maximus VII Formula motherboard with an updated bios. I updated the bios myself using the Asus EZ Update software.

Does anyone know how to factory reset the mobo? Is this even possible? I'd like to get the mobo back to factory stock operation so I can rule out any error's that might have occurred with me updating the bios.

Cheers as always
Mullett
Old 19-04-16, 03:45 PM
OC3D Elite

Clear cmos or just go to reset to optimized defaults or whatnot in the bios

Watercooling - custom
Old 27-04-16, 07:50 AM

Morning all. So just to update this thread with how i am getting on.

I tested the PSU last night with a PSU tester i bought off of Amazon. The PSU flew through the test without any problems. All voltages were well within limits. I didn't think this was the problem anyway but having now tested it at least this now confirms it.

I have also re-flashed the motherboard to the latest bios again using the Asus EZ-Update software. This seems to have gone fine so as far as i can see the boards firmware is running as it should.

As far as i can tell i'm left with two scenarios. Either there is a physical problem with all the pcie ports on the board which seems unlikely. Or i'm having an issue with the firmware where by the ports are de-activated somehow or are not engaging? I don't know if this is even possible.

The board is now over one year old. However i have checked on Asus website and it comes with a manufacturers 3 year warranty. I'm going get in touch with the seller this morning (Scan) and see what they say. Failing that i'll get in touch with Asus direct and see what they say.

Is there any guidelines i should be following when dealing with the retailers on this kind of issue? Also can anyone think of anything i should be trying with regards to the bios which might help me to fix this issue?

Cheers in advance

Mullett
Old 27-04-16, 10:36 AM
OC3D Crew

Have you tried resetting the CMOS with the jumper on motherboard? Resetting from within BIOS is not always effective.
Old 27-04-16, 07:56 PM

Yeh, i'm having trouble resetting the bios. It really does not want to be reset. The bios reset button is not working. Its still sitting at the latest 3003 bios i downloaded using Asus EZ-Update.

Whats the best fail safe way to reset the board? Its the Asus Maximus VII Formula. Do i need to dismantle the system, take off the board cover and remove the button battery for a few minutes?

Cheers
Mullett

Tags
gpu