Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 31-08-15, 05:57 AM
jbonnett jbonnett is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Aberystwyth
Posts: 32
I need advice on upgrading my rig...

Hey all,
I'm going to be upgrading my rig soon and have some questions... And yes I'm planning an overkill rig!

1) Will the Asus Rampage V Extreme fit in a NZXT S340 case?
2) With the specs (Asus Rampage V Extreme, Corsair Dominator Platinum (8 * 8gb) @ 3000 mHz, i7 5690X, Titan X SLI, SSD, M.2 SSD and HDD, plus all the extras like AIO, Corsair Link with all fans / case lighting connected) can I still use my Corsair HX1000i PSU? Will it handle it (including getting the full capabilities of the system e.g. stress test / gaming)?
3) Are the cables in this kit longer than the ones that come with my HX1000i PSU? http://cablemod.com/product/cablemod...cable-kit-red/

Thanks in advance, Jamie

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 31-08-15, 09:05 AM
Feronix's Avatar
Feronix Feronix is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Dungeon
Posts: 7,683
Moved to new build advice (counts for upgrades as well)
__________________
~Rick

"If a bear looks good in the woods when nobody is there, is he still a cool ass motherf***ing bear?" - JR23
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 31-08-15, 09:33 AM
Kushiro Kushiro is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,188
1. Sort of, any reason why you arent getting a better case?
2. Yes
3. Should be the same length, measure it or check.
__________________
i7 5930k 4.7Ghz ~1.34v - Asus X99 Deluxe - G.Skill 32GB 2800mhz 4x8GB - NZXT Switch 810 White Edition - 3x EVGA Geforce GTX 980Ti - 2x Samsung 850 2TB - Corsair AX1500i

Watercooling - custom
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 31-08-15, 10:16 AM
jbonnett jbonnett is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Aberystwyth
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie_NS810 View Post
1. Sort of, any reason why you arent getting a better case?
2. Yes
3. Should be the same length, measure it or check.
I like this case... Not a fan of most cases. What do you mean by sort of?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 31-08-15, 10:18 AM
Kushiro Kushiro is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,188
I see. Well from experience the S340 is not very compatible with the Extreme V. In order for it to fit you will need to remove the plate that is in the middle of the case and you will also be blocking off its last card.

You can still do it though. I was quite fond of the S340 myself. Chuck a 280mm AIO at the front and voila, you can chuck a GPU that will vent as much heat into the case as it wants and as long as your exhaust is good enough, which isnt hard really.
__________________
i7 5930k 4.7Ghz ~1.34v - Asus X99 Deluxe - G.Skill 32GB 2800mhz 4x8GB - NZXT Switch 810 White Edition - 3x EVGA Geforce GTX 980Ti - 2x Samsung 850 2TB - Corsair AX1500i

Watercooling - custom
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 31-08-15, 10:24 AM
jbonnett jbonnett is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Aberystwyth
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie_NS810 View Post
I see. Well from experience the S340 is not very compatible with the Extreme V. In order for it to fit you will need to remove the plate that is in the middle of the case and you will also be blocking off its last card.

You can still do it though. I was quite fond of the S340 myself. Chuck a 280mm AIO at the front and voila, you can chuck a GPU that will vent as much heat into the case as it wants and as long as your exhaust is good enough, which isnt hard really.
Wouldn't it just hit the PSU instead?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 31-08-15, 10:26 AM
Kushiro Kushiro is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,188
What would hit the PSU? The last card?

If so, me thinks you need to look up this review here

There is a nice little shroud covering the PSU and lower section.
__________________
i7 5930k 4.7Ghz ~1.34v - Asus X99 Deluxe - G.Skill 32GB 2800mhz 4x8GB - NZXT Switch 810 White Edition - 3x EVGA Geforce GTX 980Ti - 2x Samsung 850 2TB - Corsair AX1500i

Watercooling - custom
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 31-08-15, 10:31 AM
jbonnett jbonnett is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Aberystwyth
Posts: 32
I meant the bottom of the motherboard, this is what my current setup looks like...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 31-08-15, 10:37 AM
Kushiro Kushiro is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,188
Sorry when I said the last one, I meant assuming one would want the full features of the board (4 way sli). Kinda what I meant by not very compatible, sorry if it wasnt very clear.

For your case (as in situation) due to you only using 2 Titan Xs, you would be fine. You are just gimping it though.

Why not just go for something like Skylake or whatnot? After all, unless you are wanting to go 3-4 cards, you arent really going to need X99. Skylake etc is just as good for most things.
__________________
i7 5930k 4.7Ghz ~1.34v - Asus X99 Deluxe - G.Skill 32GB 2800mhz 4x8GB - NZXT Switch 810 White Edition - 3x EVGA Geforce GTX 980Ti - 2x Samsung 850 2TB - Corsair AX1500i

Watercooling - custom
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 31-08-15, 10:41 AM
jbonnett jbonnett is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Aberystwyth
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie_NS810 View Post
Sorry when I said the last one, I meant assuming one would want the full features of the board (4 way sli). Kinda what I meant by not very compatible, sorry if it wasnt very clear.

For your case (as in situation) due to you only using 2 Titan Xs, you would be fine. You are just gimping it though.

Why not just go for something like Skylake or whatnot? After all, unless you are wanting to go 3-4 cards, you arent really going to need X99. Skylake etc is just as good for most things.
Ahh far, I'll more than likely add a couple more Titans X's to it later... So it will fit not problem ATM? Any cases similar to the S340?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
advice, overkill, upgrade

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 04:26 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.