Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 19-08-15, 10:15 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Loving the mod on the GPU's, Awesome !
Many thanks mate

Another little update; experimenting with routing the pipework again.

I do think the manual bends look better than the 90 degree fittings. Not entirely sure on the diagonal approach to the pipes from the GPU, so I'm going to try the horizontal and vertically down look and compare.

The image below is of my sacrificial lamb .

No, I haven't bought a Titan, just the cooler of one. It'll be stripped for certain parts to continue with the modding of the 980Ti's.

Just a little update today, need to get moving! Thanks again for reading.

Old 19-08-15, 10:20 PM
OC3D Elite

This looks so cool. Also, I dont think this has been done before, so Im looking forward to this!

Old 20-08-15, 11:23 PM
OC3D Crew

Random Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadShadow View Post
This looks so cool. Also, I dont think this has been done before, so Im looking forward to this!
Thanks, I think you'll see a lot in this build that hasn't been done before .

I stripped down and cleaned up the sacrificial Titan cooler because is was seriously minging, the risks of buying stuff off ebay. One of the threaded tabs is broken but that doesn't matter.

Have you ever wondered how Nvidia get the 'GEFORCE GTX' moniker to light up so uniformly? Yeah, so did I, so thought I'd find out as I wanted to know if it would be useful for my intended mod.
1. The victim
2. Start to peel back the tape
3 & 4. The tape fully peeled back carefully so as not to damage the silver strip on both edges.

There's no LEDs in this thing - I reckon it's an electroluminescent panel. You can't see it in the images below as my camera isn't good enough but there is a pattern in the very slightly flexible acrylic.

1. The EL panel lights up with 5 to 6Vdc, any less and it just turns off. That makes me think it's PWM controlled as you can vary the brightness of this strip via the Nvidia software.
2. On the other side of the EL panel you can see the copper tracks, not very complicated really but still very effective.
3. The signature glow.

Will this knowledge prove useful for my mod? Quite possibly .
Old 20-08-15, 11:57 PM
OC3D Elite

Ooohh, I'm excited. So far I've only seen mods where they sanded the thing down

"If a bear looks good in the woods when nobody is there, is he still a cool ass motherf***ing bear?" - JR23
Old 27-08-15, 11:32 PM
OC3D Crew

Been rather busy with lots of things and I don't have a lot of time tonight to illustrate what I've done, but I will leave you with a bit of a teaser .

No leaks and temperatures are great. The construction of the parallel loop has changed from my original design; adapt when needs must! At stock the 980Ti's are sitting at 29C idle and at 41C running the Heaven benchmark.

I'll post some more pics and progress tomorrow .
Old 29-08-15, 09:33 AM
OC3D Crew

I have updated the water cooling schematic to reflect the changes to my original design. Shown below and also updated in the first post.

Old 05-09-15, 11:34 AM
OC3D Crew

Update

Welcome back.

In order to remove the existing 780Ti's and install the 980Ti's for testing before modding I had to bypass the water cooling of the graphics cards and use the on-board graphics for a bit.

Here's a close up of the installed bypass from the XSPC Raystorm CPU block to the XSPC XPOWER motherboard block. The XSPC Raystorm is the chrome edition with chrome and clear acrylic mount kit, not available together which is strange as they are such a good match. Illuminated with four white LEDs and their brightness controlled by the Aquaero.

Talking of the Aquaero, you can see in the images above I've mounted it where I'm more likely to see it. I can see water temperatures, fan and pump speeds at a glance.

Case now stripped of all parts and I've marked out what I need to remove. I loose all but one CD-ROM drive bay and two hard drive slots. I don't have an optical drive installed and I've plenty of storage available on the network so it's no great loss. If you are wondering what the white tape is for - it helps increase the lighting of the motherboard by reflecting it back - those tracks that indicate the separation of the auto circuitry and MSI logo.

The rear of the FT02 is marked for the new placement of the Koolance Quick Disconnects. The other connectors will stay where they are. When I installed these previously I also dremelled out the PSU fan grill of the case as I found it a bit too restrictive.

Time to drill 18mm holes required for the new placement of the QDC's.

1. Holes marked with an automatic centre punch
2. Pilot holes drilled
3. 18mm drill bit at the ready!
4. Holes drilled, cleaning them up with my trusty deburring tool

The Silverstone FT02 has 7 accessible PCI slots with the 8th being blocked off with a plate, as if Silverstone changed their mind somewhere in the design process. Anyway, it was time to liberate that 8th slot as I needed it clear to improve the airflow from the far left 980Ti.

1. The plate concealing the 8th PCI slot, image from above
2. The plate concealing the 8th PCI slot, image from below
3. Rivets drilled out, plate removed and the 8th PCI slot is clear
4. Air blower connected to my compressor at the ready to blast all the cuttings from out of the case, goggles on!

Now ready for some dremelling of the optical and hard drive cages.

I didn't take any pictures of the dremeling as I was running out of time. Also apologies for the low quality of the following images.

Dremelling complete and taping up the edges.

Refitting all the hardware back in to case so that I can work out the best paths of the copper tubing.

Then I realise that the placement of the bottom pipe isn't ideal....

More soon!
Old 05-09-15, 03:43 PM
OC3D Elite

Looking good mate, great idea for the tubing, I love the parallel look. I reconise that board though, you've taken your time using it...
Old 05-09-15, 04:32 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulstung View Post
Looking good mate, great idea for the tubing, I love the parallel look. I reconise that board though, you've taken your time using it...
Indeed you should . The board's been in faithful use ever since.
Old 06-09-15, 11:56 AM
OC3D Crew

Update

When at the initial design stage I thought I'd try some 45 degree fittings but due to the varying height between the CPU and motherboard ports I noticed it started to affect the straightness of the main horizontal feed pipe. So I ditched the 45 degree fittings and set about bending the pipes to the correct angles myself.

Much better. If you look to the right of the image you'll notice another hole in the frame of the case. During the installation of the pipework I found that the distance between the two horizontal feed pipes was too little, so I drilled another. I'll get some blanking grommets and close of these open holes.

When I reached the left 980Ti I wasn't entirely happy with the routing of the pipes for it.

So I went with a kind of staggered overlapping layout which I like better. This is the final layout, well, until I replace the copper pipes with the chromed copper - the pipes fitted will be my templates so that I don't waste a lot of the chromed tubing.

Because I do get through a lot of copper tubing getting it just right!

Looking good I hope you'll agree . The masking tape on the three bottom intake fans provided me with a datum that I could use with a set square to get the pipework how I wanted it.

Time to leak test it . Blue paper towel placed strategically wherever there is a connector. Paper clip PSU jumper at the ready. When the PSU is turned on the Aquaero is powered which provides power to the USB D5 pump.

After a successful leak test (yay!) it was time to power on.

This is where I'm currently at. The system is running nicely with no ill-effects from having all the blocks in parallel. You may notice I don't have the flow meters in circuit as yet, I still need to make up the USB cable for them. I'll do this when I change the pipework to the chromed tubing.

Still lots to do, with further modding to the 980Ti's. Please leave a comment if you'd like and I'll update again soon!

Tags
aquaero, copper pipes, modding, parallel, water cooling